Emphasis and Value on Cosmetic Appearance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkbennett

Reaction score
I bought my 05 FJR in Feb 2006, and it already had both a lot of miles and more than its share of cosmetic flaws. I got a good discount off the going rate for clean, low-mileage 05 models.

Here is a summary of where my bike is now:

It has 17,900 miles.

It has frame sliders that are scarred from being down on both sides -- both at low or zero speed. (The prior owner had it go down on the right side while moving and it tipped over in the parking lot at my workplace during a very bad thunderstorm.)

Both rear view mirror have scratches on the back.

The tank has two chipped spots from my wife's helmet (arrgh).

The tank has some wear spots from clothing or tank bags.

The upper right fairing has a bad abrasion down to the ABS along the horizontal crease. It's 3 inches long or so.

The rack has wear spots from the prior owners trunk installation.

Both saddlebags have a few marks and a couple of paint scratches.

The engine case has some scars on the bottom on both sides, but nothing structurally threatening.

In general, from 30 ft away, the bike looks great, but if you get up close, you can see that it has a lot of flaws in the paint.

As the owner, they don't really bother me because I know that mechanically, the bike is sound. It runs great, it has relatively new tires, and it's just as fun to ride as a new one. I've had guys tell me that they wouldn't want the bike because of these flaws that I consider entirely cosmetic. With all that can happen on the road (semi's kicking up pebbles, kid's whacking your saddlebags in parking lots, and passengers being careless with their boots) I just don't see the point in fussing over the cosmetic perfection of a motorcycle. It's not a Harley!!

Am I a motorcycle slob? Would you buy a bike in this condition for $1000 less than clean FJR's? Would these sorts of things scare you away from buying the bike? As the owner, would you spend a lot of time and money to repair them?

Honestly, I wouldn't have bought a bike with all of that stuff wrong with it. I know, snooty but I wouldn't have. Of course, my 05 pretty much has more misc cosmetic damage to it right now than yours, and I have absolutely no problems riding it or point it out in a parking lot and saying "yeah, thats mine."

I think the big difference is I know exactly where each scratch, nick and dent came from. I know the scratch on the left side of my tank came from a trip to Nor Cal in January (big mistake btw). The cracked right fairing came from my close enounter with a forest rat, and I know the white streak on the right saddle bag came from a #$%# cager who didn't want to let me lane share in LA. Basically, my bike has personality and it was put there with me as the pilot, not someone else.

Are you more interested in standing around the parking lot, i.e. posing or riding? Nobody who rides their bike will say anything about the scratches. If I saw you and your bike I would think you ride the hell out of it.

Phil

Are you more interested in standing around the parking lot, i.e. posing or riding?
Gunny. Why did you buy the FJR? Was it to look at or to ride? Different people have different priorities. For some, the whole social aspect of kicking tires outside a bar is what motorcycling is about. Their bikes have to look immaculate because that's their purpose.

Then there's the other extreme - those who ride and ride then ride some more no matter what the bike looks like.

I believe that you have some sense of style, because you bought one of the coolest looking bikes around. Then again, you might be all rider because you bought one of the best riding bikes around.

What it comes down to is what YOU want from the bike. Mine has some cosmetic damage, all of which tells a story. I'd prefer it to look showroom pristine but it doesn't any more. It's still an awesome ride though.

Jill

My bike is still scarred from my Ovale offroad adventure from last year's WFO. I'll get them fixed eventually (actually have the rear view mirror and turn signal replacements, and could get the saddlebag repainted any time), but I like telling myself that "chicks dig scars"... :rolleyes:

If your bike is pristine, it's because it never leaves the garage. Any vehicle that gets put to use is going to acquire some cosmetic blemishes. To me, its the mechanicals that count. The blemishes document the history of the bike - where it and its owner have been together. I really don't care how perfect or clean it is. I'd rather see mine covered with bug guts and road grime, knowing that I just came back from a three-day weekend of 1200 miles. I use my vehicles and often use them hard. They are not perfect but they are very reliable and mechanically meticulously maintained. It's far more important that it functions than that it draws looks.

However, these defects DO affect the value and resale value of the bike. That's simply reality. I'd take a clean one over a battered one.

We would all like our bikes to stay in mint condition but it isn't going to happen.

The thing that always strikes me though when looking at a ''lived in'' vehicle be it a bike or car. If it looks like that then thats how its been cared for, it puts me off.

I have a mate who sells second hand cars. He spends a day or more cleaning and valeting each one. I can't work out how but he does. He says all he has to do is show the car to the prospective buyer and they fall for it because it looks like new.

Hmm, interesting topic. I would like my FJR to be perfect. The first time I tipped it over I was devastated! However, since I am vertically challenged and have a balance problem (screwed up right balance center from a hearing loss accident, which induces vertigo). Between those two problems and just plain screw-ups I have dropped my FJR 7 or 8 times! I maintain my FJR well and have added many, many farkles. I love this bike. Every time I get on it, I enjoy it! It makes my commute or just running an errand an enjoyable experience.

I just put my GPS on and am getting ready for WFO-6 which will be my first long distance trip on a motorcycle. (I've been riding motorcycles on and off for 40 years, but never tried real touring.)

Having said all that, I plan to get the "cosmetics" taken care of overtime. I just don't want to do it until I am reasonably sure I have a greater than 10% chance of NOT tipping over! One thing I've learned from this forum is that there will always be a chance of a tip-over with the FJR. I see people with LOTS of experience posting of their "mishaps". This makes me more of a realist and since misery love company, also somehow makes it more bearable when I make my little tip-overs.

I plan to ride this bike, probably for as long as I ride. So, the question of how she looks is really only a personal one as my estate will deal with "resale" value, if any, when the time comes. :)

I just wish I didn't like the "dark cherry" of the '07 quite so much.

Also, waiting to see if I'm one of the lucky ones with the "altitude problem". It seems I've been one of the lucky ones that has had EVERY problem that can be had with the FJR. But the fact remains, when I get on and twist her wick I forget all about ANY problem I've had or likely will have with the FJR. :clapping: :yahoo: Oh yes, I qualify for the "defective Yamaha top case recall. Lucky me. :dribble:

My wife says I'm easily pleased!

LC

My bike is still scarred from my Ovale offroad adventure from last year's WFO. I'll get them fixed eventually (actually have the rear view mirror and turn signal replacements, and could get the saddlebag repainted any time), but I like telling myself that "chicks dig scars"... :rolleyes:
Oh man. It's now called the Ovale offroad adventure. :eek:

What you get out of your bike costs the amount you paid for it minus the amout you get for it when you're done with the bike. Is it worth it? Yep. Cosmetic flaws have an impact on value. So does having maintenance records.

Last edited by a moderator:
The condition of your FJR reduces stress dramatically, just imagine how you would feel if it were perfect and it went over. The only concern is when you get ready to sell. A few quick purchases and you can bring it up to snuff. Replacement mirrors, sliders and a Magnight(sp?) tank cover would really help. There are also a few techniques for covering up the scratches on the side cases. Spray-on bedliner coating being one. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride.

Bob

Right side of my bike is like new! Left side is pretty much sand blasted as one would expect for a near 3 year old, 50K bike. I no longer give a shit about scratches and such. Just so long as it runs well I'm a happy camper.

I may be more of a slob than the rest of you but other than wiping the bike off after getting caught in the rain I haven't even *washed* my bike in the past year since I got it!! I can't wash it and ride it at the same time! :D

Now, with that said I bought my 2003 model with some scratches on it. Have a big black gouge on the right side bag and a bunch of other less noticeable scratches there and on the fairings too. I my case it got me a better price on a really low mileage bike and it ended up making the few scratches I added myself not as noticeable.

I have been trying to use the scratches as an excuse to my wife to let me get the bike painted though. I'm thinking a nice fade starting about half way down following the angle of the crease line on the bags, leaving the silver color on top and fading to a nice dark red at the bottom. That way I only have to paint half of the bike and can still cover up the scratches. :rolleyes:

I too have a 2005 fjr. I brought it back from the dead,(see fjr 2005 burn bike) It literally has used parts from 31 different fjr's and I am happy to have her. Last sat morning I laid her down to avoid hitting a mini van that cut across my lane and now have to deal with insurance companys and bike shops. I love that bike and will try to keep her on the road again. Just because our girls are't the bell of the ball it does't make them any less of a joy to be with.

To directly address the topic of the thread without philosophizing about resale values, riding instead of polishing, etc., I'll just add this for the record.

Bought my 04 in Sept. 05, have put 44,000 miles on it, and haven't washed it yet.

So there.

:yahoo:

ps: And also for the record, I've never washed my '02 ZRX1200R, my '00 Subie WRX STi or my 95 Honda Vtec Del Sol. I drive my vehicles. I don't baby them.

When I buy a new bike, or other vehicle, I expect it to be pristine. When buying used I expect to see some wear and other signs of use. The more used it looks the less I expect to pay. I'll buy a used bike with some scratches in it for a discount rather than pay a higher price for an otherwise equal bike that looks perfect.

Every scratch, dig, chip and blemmish on my '05 w/ 32,000 miles on it has a story to go with it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wash it ?

What for?It's only going to get dirty again.

Keep it mechanicly sound and don't worry 'bout the looks of 'er. Or just ride 'er in the dark. :lol:

Tim

I cared, then I dropped my then two week old 06 and did in the engine case, mirror, etc, etc.

A little touch up paint makes it almost not noticeable. My tank on the other hand is horrible. As much as I try to keep the underside of the tank bag clean, something always gets under there. Should I have wrapped it up in something first? Yeah probably, but hell, it's going to happen sooner or later if you ride.

I'm over that phase of bike ownership.

If all I really cared about was bling, I would have bought a....

I am in the "don't wash it - just maintain it" group. Glad to know there are others out there who maybe wash it once a year. It doesn't bother me in the least to have bugs and dirt on it. I just love riding her.

:lol:

I wash once in awhile and do maint. regular. My new place is on a real dusty road and I found out the leaf blower is my friend. I also work on the idea that its good enough for who its for. :lol: