Engine "Break-in" questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a machinist I break in easy.

There's a lot of metal parts in the whole assembly getting rubbed together for the first time.

I think the old days of needing to "seat the rings" are gone.

*edit*

That sounded authoritative didn't it?
smile.png
Yes it did. And since it is now on the internet...well it must be true.
In fact, it's hard to believe that the post is not already pinned to the Main Page of the Internet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't expect to get this much response. The good news is my break-in is achieved as of today. I used various octane grades, and I used fuel with and without ethanol. My average MPG is around 45.4 as of today according to the display.

Didn't expect to get this much response. The good news is my break-in is achieved as of today. I used various octane grades, and I used fuel with and without ethanol. My average MPG is around 45.4 as of today according to the display.
There ya go.

Now you can worry about wearing out tires too fast.

Start a which tire is best thread...

smile.png

OH Jeeze now the new guy wants to steer his own NEPRT thread into NEPRT discussion about various octane grades or benefits of ethanol or non ethanol. This guy is new but he already knows how to get the crowd worked up.
rolleyes.gif

I have purchased many forms of vehicles brand new. Motorcycles, cars trucks, snowmobiles, chainsaw, excavators,backhoes,and lately tow trucks.I must say I'm with the Skooter fan club of driver like you stole it. After working in an automotive plant building cars and trucks for almost 30 years I can say... giver!!!!! But , do what makes you comfortable. It's your hard earned cash.

Some of the folks here are dickheads. Some are your friend. It's up to you to sift through them.

Just to throw out there.... every new Camaro that came off the line in the spring of 2009 was ran on a roll test at WOT . Seen it with my own eyes. . I was allowed to test one for 24 hours. WOT whenever I could . 360km under my lead foot.

As a machinist I break in easy.

There's a lot of metal parts in the whole assembly getting rubbed together for the first time.

I think the old days of needing to "seat the rings" are gone.

*edit*

That sounded authoritative didn't it?
smile.png
Yes it did. And since it is now on the internet...well it must be true.
In fact, it's hard to believe that the post is not already pinned to the Main Page of the Internet!
I have contacted Al Gore and he is getting that set up right now. He did invent the internet you know.

Some of the folks here are dickheads. Some are your friend. It's up to you to sift through them.
I do not appreciate you drawing a line between the two. Just because a forum member is a dickhead does not mean they are not your friend. And since birds of a feather flock together... many folks cannot help but have dickheads for friends.

It is also worth noting that the insult you have for your fellow forum member may be exactly the same one he has for you. And you are probably both going to be right.
smile.png

I do not appreciate you drawing a line between the two. Just because a forum member is a dickhead does not mean they are not your friend. And since birds of a feather flock together... many folks cannot help but have dickheads for friends.

It is also worth noting that the insult you have for your fellow forum member may be exactly the same one he has for you. And you are probably both going to be right.
smile.png

I'am the first to admit... I can be both dickhead and friend. Just ask any of the others. (insert humor) Just wear the suit that fits you. lol

OH Jeeze now the new guy wants to steer his own NEPRT thread into NEPRT discussion about various octane grades or benefits of ethanol or non ethanol. This guy is new but he already knows how to get the crowd worked up. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/y2GwrR-4Q9EThat is all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZQ-wE6rdc&app=desktop
I do my best. I'm a "one upper" yo....this thread has just begun! LOL

Thank you, Blind Squirrel! Now I know that New England Clam Chowder is the same thing as "non-Newtonian fluid" -- maybe that's why I like it so much!!

Reminds me of the "Will it Blend?" series on You Tube; also something that tickles my geeky funnybone.

I read about a Dead Run being done to all motors before leaving the factory. Some type of engine Break in. Any of you folks familiar with this process?

Canadian FJR

My theory was always.... If it going to fail early at least its under warrenty.

I read about a Dead Run being done to all motors before leaving the factory. Some type of engine Break in. Any of you folks familiar with this process?
Canadian FJR
I waited about 3,000 miles to perform my own personal "Dead Run". I-65 northbound after a Stagecoach Last Ride of the Year. Middle of nowhere Alabama, nobody in sight ahead or behind. Hit 110 and counted to fifteen before setting the cruise at 10 over.

I'm sure she'll go faster, but that was enough for as long as I own this bike.

The Best Way to Break In an Engine is to first drain the oil. Fill the crankcase with gasoline and run the engine for 60 seconds. Drain the gas/oil slurry from the crankcase. Run the engine at WOT with it bumping off the rev limiter for two minutes. Fill the crankcase with either the cheapest non MC oil or the most expensive synthetic MC oil you can find. No half measures here, it's all or nothing.

You just read it. You are on the internet. So you read it on the internet and that makes it true. It really isn't any dumber than some of the other foolishness posted in this thread.

I just cannot believe this foolishness is still dragging on. And on, and on, and on...

Edit: All I need now is for someone, anyone to respond with, "There is nothing that forces you to keep reading this thread." And then I need someone to chime in with the instructions on how to "ignore" a thread. That will just be the icing on the damned cake.

"There is nothing that forces you to keep reading this thread." (Sorry, but I don't know how to ignore a thread. Can't be hard to figure out, though.)

Happy now, ya curmudgeon?

Now I'm confused. With RFH's break-in procedure there's just too many options. I'm no longer sure what I'm supposed to do. Thanks jackass!!

Just for the record, the guy that came up with the Motorman method and trying to justify it is full of shit. Maybe ok for race engines, but I wouldn't do that to a motor I plan on keeping beyond one or two races. Ask yourself this: Where did he get all the 100k mile plus engines that were broken in that way, and what scientific method did he use to determine they were in better shape than engines that experienced standard break-in? Answer: He hasn't done either, which makes him a liar. We'd probably be better off doing the RFH Gasoline-Drain-Dance Method.