Ever have a ride like this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
So, this morning, preparing for work, I go out to my garage like I always do...start the feejer like I always do...zip the jacket...put the helmet and gloves on...back it out...like I always do. Then something happened. Same routine Ive done for years, but today...somehow I felt like one with the bike. For the entire ride to work it just seemed...perfect. Every turn was smooth like on rails. Every lane change felt like an exhilarating move. Posture was perfect.

I dunno. The feej is always comfortable and fun to ride...but today it felt like Zen.

Ever have a ride like that?

I usually get into what's known as "the flow" on longer rides. Multi-day rides are even more likely for it to happen. Somewhere along the way... often in the middle of the night... the bike disapears and you're flying along the road as a single being.

Yup, I've had them. I've also had the opposite where my timing is off and it feels like I'm wrestling at 650lb bear.

My favourite is when your on a twisty bit of road and everything is just clicking. I describe it as feeling like your floating on the bike. Your not working at all, your just thinking inputs and the bike is responding. Magic.

• This past year I had that feeling on the Cherohala Skyway. I have ridden it a couple dozen times over the past 8 years but this year on the run towards Robbinsville I could do no wrong. It was amazing!

Yep. I went to the Colorado Cluster a few weeks ago and the first day in Colorado I felt like I was in the zone. That feeling stayed with me for the entire four days in Colorado. Normally the altitude, lack of guard rails, and distance from home have me riding very conservatively when I'm in Colorado, but not this time. It was great.

And, when the opposite happens, and it feels like a beast, I pack it in and go home. Too afraid of bad happenings on those days.

And, when the opposite happens, and it feels like a beast, I pack it in and go home. Too afraid of bad happenings on those days.
While I've done that, I also try slowing down and riding one-handed for a bit. That seems to realign my pointers pretty quick.

Yup, I've had them. I've also had the opposite where my timing is off and it feels like I'm wrestling at 650lb bear.
My favourite is when your on a twisty bit of road and everything is just clicking. I describe it as feeling like your floating on the bike. Your not working at all, your just thinking inputs and the bike is responding. Magic.
Yep Ive had those days too.

Neat stories!

Ever have a ride like that?
Usually just before I get ticketed...
unsure.png

Where you live, it could be a long way to the bottom if you blow a corner ;)

I occasionally have a day when I feel uncomfortable -- like I'm struggling to hold a good line. On those days I dial it back a bit and start paying attention to my lines and approach speeds. My goal is to roll through most corners without using the brakes. Usually I find that by concentrating on riding smoothly, the pace will come back fairly quickly without trying. But if not, the slower, smoother pace is more relaxing than struggling.

"Flow" is the term most used for being in-the-zone and things clicking without having to worry the details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

Several articles n Motocycle Consumer News (US) in their Mental Motorcycling section over the years; about The Flow, what it is, how it works, and how to easiest attain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Wrestling a 650 lb bear". Been there, done that. I was leading a group at the Ohio Ramble last summer and could not pull my shit together. Luckily UslessPickles seen I was struggling and offered to take over the lead. He led with a great tempo that allowed me to have a blast and not have to focus on the GPS and try to lead.

"Wrestling a 650 lb bear". Been there, done that. I was leading a group at the Ohio Ramble last summer and could not pull my shit together. Luckily UslessPickles seen I was struggling and offered to take over the lead. He led with a great tempo that allowed me to have a blast and not have to focus on the GPS and try to lead.
Ya, happened to me at EOM in Cumberland Falls KY a few years ago. At a rest stop I told Mike (Moosehead) flat out to lead. I had zero flow and my pace was all over the place. Even at a moderate pace afterwards I was still struggling. I don't recommend the following to everybody, but it really works for me. What I do is ride one handed (at a _moderate_ pace). Just keep switching hands using the 'inside' arm to steer with. A few minutes of that seems to reset my internal rider. Last year I learned why it works for me. When I'm riding poorly, My hands (brain) fight one another when steering. It's a very common problem with people who complain their bike doesn't like to turn.

'Course, somedays, your just not on your game and it's best to just sit back and sight-see.