Exhaust Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHRuuM

Reaction score
Looking for a comparison on aftermarket cans. Did a little searching around and saw some threads on Holeshot exhausts, but does anybody have StainTubes, 2 Bros. Racing or Yushimoro cans to do a little comparison, like price, weight, HP, A/F readings, sound etc. Which ones are the best bang for the buck. My tuner HIGHLY recommends StainTubes for HP, lost weight, tuneablity and longevity. But damn $1100!! For that I could do Holeshot cans and a Power CommanderIII. Comments? Suggestions? Dyno results?

there is a site (im sure someone will post) that has exactly what you are looking for.... side by side audio comparison. you might could try a search for it....

Yeppers saw that thread but since it was a year old I was hoping more for input from pilots that have the various cans on their bikes to compare. Sound is only one, but a big one, on side by side comparisons. And we're dealin' here with GenII's. Does your exhaust need a Power CommIII?[probably a good idea for all of them] Or can you go for a while while you recoup from a 700 to a thousand dollar shot to the wallet.

If you're getting slip-ons only (keeping the stock header) then there's probably negligible difference in performance and weight between the various offerings, and you don't need to re-map the fuel injection no matter which slip-ons you choose. You will benefit from re-mapping the fuel, but it's not necessary.

A difference in a few pounds in weight between different options doesn't really make a difference on a 640lb bike. For example, my Remus Hexacones weigh about 7 lbs. less than the stock cans. That works out to the equivalent of gaining about 1.3 HP at the wheel; about a 1% gain.

It would also be pointless to compare dyno results from different people with different exhaust because the variations of different dynos, bikes, elevation, temperature, humidity, etc. at the time the dyno pull was done affects the results. The only way to get a valid comparison would be to try all the different options on your bike and get each option dyno'd at the same shop.

That simplifies your selection criteria down to looks, sound and price. In my opinion, price should take a back seat if possible and instead just determines when you can get the exhaust. When I spend a big chunk of money on an addition to my bike, I want to be happy/proud of it every time I see it. I would hate to settle for something I like less knowing that I could have saved up some more money for a few more months to get what I really want.

If you want to go for the biggest impact on sound and performance, you would want to look at a full exhaust system. You can either go with the Muzzy 4-into-1 system (I think it just looks wrong to have single exhaust on the FJR, but it's the most weight savings available), or the Holeshot 4-into-2 system. With the Muzzy system, you must use the Muzzy muffler. A couple different brand slip-ons will fit with the Holeshot header with no modification, but others will require their mid-pipes to be expanded a bit to fit. If you go with a full system, you must re-map the fuel injection.

Now, I will share some data:

Titanium Remus Hexacones cost about $1000. I was able to get a deal for about $940 shipped. They come with a removable baffle that muffles the sound a bit more. I ride with mine out.

Weight

---------------------------------------

Stock header: 11 lbs.

Stock header with catalytic converters removed: 9lbs.

Holeshot header: 10lbs.

Stock muffler: 10 lbs. (x2 -> 20 lbs. for both)

Titanium Remus Hexacone: 6.5 lbs. (x2 -> 13 lbs. for both)

Sound (idle & rev) - click for audio sample

Stock exhaust:

Looks

Stock mufflers: Acceptable

Titanium Remus Hexacone: Frickin' Awesome. See below. The six-sided shape of the mufflers looks right at home below the six-sided shape of the side cases. Plus, a bit of carbon fiber and titanium on the bike is always nice.

completed_bike_rear.jpg

completed_bike_side.jpg

you're right they are frickin' awesome and I didn't know of that brand....thanks, that's the kind of info I'm talkin' about. :clapping:

Hello UP - did you ever Dyno your bike, or compare it with a stock ride? I sent $20 towards your effort - just checking my friend.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
2007YamahaFJR1300001.jpg

2007YamahaFJR1300002-1.jpg

JuneFJR002.jpg

Ok here is my bike with the Holeshot's slip-ons. I like the looks and the sound. I have the db killers and I can even hear the exhaust at highway speeds but at 30-40 mph it has a really nice tone to it. The stock exhaust was way to quiet but I didn't want loud either so this was the best option for me. Oh yeah price was a huge factor I got these used of this list for $350.

Eric

Hello UP - did you ever Dyno your bike, or compare it with a stock ride? I sent $20 towards your effort - just checking my friend.
Gary in Fairbanks
I haven't forgot about that. I'm just having trouble coordinating schedules with someone to bring their stock bike along for comparison on the same dyno, same day. I'm really hoping for something to work out within the next couple weeks. When it happens, I will post excessive data and analysis... and probably even video for comparison of exhaust sound while running through the entire rev range at WOT under load :)

Gary in Fairbanks
I haven't forgot about that. I'm just having trouble coordinating schedules with someone to bring their stock bike along for comparison on the same dyno, same day. I'm really hoping for something to work out within the next couple weeks. When it happens, I will post excessive data and analysis... and probably even video for comparison of exhaust sound while running through the entire rev range at WOT under load :)
Good news and just checking on your progress! I'm a supporter and am looking forward to the tests - hope all goes well. Back to the thread. Had Staintunes on my last FJR and loved them. Will stick to stock until my money tree grows some more "leaves". Too many demands right now.

Gary in Fairbanks

I didn't think the stock cans look that bad, but after seeing the aftermarket ones , they are generic looking at best. I have to save my pennies just for looks alone.

VTFJR13 SWEET cans and you stole 'em too! Perks up the bike. Any noticable improvement in your beast?

mophead, same question as above, and are they worth the bang for the buck?

Well aside from the sweet sound they make this bike is so fast and torquey I can't say I feel any real differance. But according to Holeshots website they are good for an extra 4hp and 2ftlbs of torque without any remapping. Like Holeshot's website states that the bike runs as good as normal with the slip-ons. No flat spots or FI problems.

Eric

UP - Sweet setup. I favor the Hexacones as well. Are you willing to disclose where you got that deal?

UP - Sweet setup. I favor the Hexacones as well. Are you willing to disclose where you got that deal?
https://www.maxmoto.com/

I don't think the Hexacones for the FJR are listed on the website, so you'll have to call the phone number and talk to someone. I don't know if you can get a similar deal as I did (it wasn't an advertised price; just a "special situation"), but it never hurts to ask if they're willing to come down on price from MSRP.

I've done some looking around for Hexacones... Interesting that some sites list the pipes for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 (same part #), while others just have Gen 2. Are they the same for both Gens?

Sorry if this has been asked already...

Latest posts