Exorcised rear fender - Why?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtie_brain

Reaction score
I wanted to post a pic, but I can't seem to find a format the site likes, and embedding a link just shows the broken link symbol... Anyway, after riding on wet roads yesterday, the rear end was filthy - way more than expected with mud & grit all the way up on my trunk, panniers. It seems one of the previous owners had a reason to cut off the rear fender right behind the license plate! This does not seem like a performance mod. Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be a good idea? Maybe going for that YZF look? OR, could the old fender have been damaged and the PO just cleaned it up by making a clean cut?

Anyway, I fabricated my own. I used some 3/4 aluminum angle fastened to what plastic was left, an old license plate and a rubber extender that I cut out of a truck bed mat. It sounds uglier than what it turned out to be. I didn't take pictures during the operation since I wasn't sure it would work. We got storms now, so I'm not going back out there for awhile. Besides, I have not found a successful way to post a pic anyway (Firefox).

Happy Easter! I hope your weather is nice.

A lot of us didn't like the look of that gigantic donkey dong hanging all the way down there. I pretty much did the same as the PO of your bike. It looks waaaay better. I do get a little spluge on the back of my top case but, a wet cloth fixes that in 5 seconds. Just a personal preference I guess. :)

A few guys have done that to their rear plastics. Strictly aesthetic, and a few have been ridiculed. What happened to you was what many assumed would happen. That sucks! Sounds like you fixed it, which doesn't suck.

Extrememarine has some left over parts from a wrecked 2009. He may still have that piece, which wouldn't take too much to simply replace. Maybe send him a PM.

As far as pictures, you have to host them somewhere. Most use Photobucket, but any of them will work. Pick your picture, make sure "img" inside [ ] brackets is in front of the link and "/img" inside the same brackets is at the back. Your picture will show up. For ease of use, just click on the picture icon and pate the link in the box.

Does that make sense now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, Zilla. I asked Extrememarine for that piece and tried to make it work for me but, it was pretty Much DOA. :D

Helloooo...owners cut the rear fender off cuz it looks cool and makes the bike faster.
smile.png

For those of us that ride in wet conditions eight months of the year, cutting off the rear fender doesn't work!

As always...YMMV

--G

With the saddle bags mounted, I don't even see the rear fender.

...Pick your picture, make sure is in front of the link and is at the back. Your picture will show up. For ease of use, just click on the picture icon and pate the link in the box.
Um, wut?
uhoh.gif

Aw crap...Sorry Denver. It I used the img brackets, and the formatting is hiding them. I didn't think of that. I'll try to edit that into English.

I cut the whole thing off in such a way that it gets put back on every winter. Only needs to move 6 bolts, 10 if you count installing the angles plate holder, 12 if you count the LED plate lights too. It gets taken off every summer and put away. I like it, it puts a lot more 'sport' SPORT-touring bikes looks. I keep the bags off as much as possible.

I plan on taking off the V-Stream windshield and installing the extra short '02 targeting computer tomorrow.

Some people think these bikes are uncomfortable, anorexic Goldwings.

I see them as fat, slow Busas.

The environment does play a big part in how we adjust the appearance and functionality of our bikes to suite the situation. And we also change the way it looks because we can!

Cheers,

PTC

On my 05 I chopped the rear fender down cause I wanted it to look cool... Found that I spent the next 10 years cleaning dry dirt and cr@p of the rear taillights area, scratching up the plastic little by little...

2015 - its staying extended and factory..

Def notice a huge difference in the amount of dirt on the rear of the bike..

Bike looks just as hot with it there and less work for me.. Bags never come off and I'm not kidding anyone anymore - I'm old... :)

A few guys have done that to their rear plastics. Strictly aesthetic, and a few have been ridiculed. What happened to you was what many assumed would happen. That sucks! Sounds like you fixed it, which doesn't suck.
Extrememarine has some left over parts from a wrecked 2009. He may still have that piece, which wouldn't take too much to simply replace. Maybe send him a PM.

As far as pictures, you have to host them somewhere. Most use Photobucket, but any of them will work. Pick your picture, make sure "img" inside [ ] brackets is in front of the link and "/img" inside the same brackets is at the back. Your picture will show up. For ease of use, just click on the picture icon and pate the link in the box.

Does that make sense now?
Thanks. Sounds like my son and his car club. Who would have thought that blacking the hood, painting the rims, pulling a rear bumper or fender would add 5 hp? When we get old enough that the hair in our ears grows faster than the hair on our head, practicality means more than appearance. Thus my "Old Guys Rule" license plate frame.

I have my pics on OneDrive and Dropbox, but sharing via a link from either source just shows that broken link symbol. I tried TIF format and reducing the size to get below 100Mb. I noticed the same thing in one of the "How to" picture threads, plus a lot of discussion about how it is an intermittent issue on the board.

We will see how my garage mod using found objects holds up. If it is a disaster the first time I get it over 60 mph and cross a rough bridge transition, I will seek something closer to stock.

I wanted to post a pic, but I can't seem to find a format the site likes, and embedding a link just shows the broken link symbol... Anyway, after riding on wet roads yesterday, the rear end was filthy - way more than expected with mud & grit all the way up on my trunk, panniers. It seems one of the previous owners had a reason to cut off the rear fender right behind the license plate! This does not seem like a performance mod. Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be a good idea? Maybe going for that YZF look? OR, could the old fender have been damaged and the PO just cleaned it up by making a clean cut?Anyway, I fabricated my own. I used some 3/4 aluminum angle fastened to what plastic was left, an old license plate and a rubber extender that I cut out of a truck bed mat. It sounds uglier than what it turned out to be. I didn't take pictures during the operation since I wasn't sure it would work. We got storms now, so I'm not going back out there for awhile. Besides, I have not found a successful way to post a pic anyway (Firefox).

Happy Easter! I hope your weather is nice.
FJR%201%20SMJ.jpg
Attempting photo link.

The original intent with the mudflapectomy was to make it easier to get the back tire off and on. Since I'm in SoCal it works.................

Yeah, it looks worse every time I look at it. I don't guess anyone is interested in a set of plans. ;-(

That's the kind of inspiration you get when you spend too much time at the dirt track watching those guys fix their late models after heat races.