Experienced With Sheepskin?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIFJR

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on taking an extended biking vacation in early July and I am looking for a way to extend her riding range. Right now she's wanting to get off and walk around a bit after just an hour and a half. I'd like to make it through a tankful of gas for once.

I know some of the long distance crowd like sheepskin pads... so I'd like to hear your opinions about them?

Good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks.

I have a Russell seat. Even with that, my daily comfort range was in the 350 mile area before "butt-burn" would set in. (A very long story/ride led me to buy a sheepskin wash mit and split it open for "fanny-relief" on a long ride --on the 4th day--on my Connie.) When I sensed I needed help on the FJR, I went to my local CSK auto store, bought a sheepskin car seatcover, put the "headrest" portion over the front of my saddle and trimmed the excess. (whew!)

I gave the rest of the seat cover to a fellow FJR owner who rides 2-up. They tried it and now are never without it on our longer rides (after trimming it to fit their saddle.). In fact, they lent it to another couple on our last little "lunch run" who have now purchased their own--and they have a Sargent seat. Both say that it has extended their comfort/range.

Try it...you may like it!

:p A buddy of mine from New Zealand taught me all about how to ride a sheepskin. The most important part is to wear the right kind of boots so that when you get their back feet into them, they can't get out. Once you have your boots, head for a nearby field.....oh, wait a minute, you're talking about something else, aren't you?

I used a custome sheepskin last year on vacation. Took the bloody thing off about 1/2 way. The butt burn and sweating wasn't any more noticeable without the skin that it was with it. Good luck.

Mike

Alaska leather butt pad. $50.00 for the fancy model with no seams. It actually lays up on the tank slightly and prevents roasting of the plums, bonus.

Definitely worth the money and your passenger will thank you also.

alaskaleather.com

Thanks for all the replies!

(I don't know about you RickL) :blink:

Check out SheepyHollow.com. They do a custom FJR cover and even do it in colors. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive, they are in Australia, but it's a great product.

Check out SheepyHollow.com. They do a custom FJR cover and even do it in colors. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive, they are in Australia, but it's a great product.
I put on the SheepyHollow seat covers. The best reason for them is your but stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Comfort is relative. The stock seat is OK. The others should be better but leather (a little) or vinyl(alot) makes your but sweat and the sheepskin should help in that area.

The stock FJR seat isn't the best for comfort, but the main reason I use a sheepskin cover is to stop the "butt" ache.

The sheepskin is great, no ache because sheepskin allows for proper blood circulation, unlike a standard seat of any kind.

Alaska leather butt pad. $50.00 for the fancy model with no seams. It actually lays up on the tank slightly and prevents roasting of the plums, bonus.

alaskaleather.com
I also have the Alaska leather skins and think they are a big improvement for a long day. Still sore after 12 hours but without them I'm sore after 6.

alaskaleather.com
I have had several of the Alaska Leather sheepskins on various bikes including my current FJR and KLR 650. For me, it extends my range an extra 100 - 150 miles before discomfort. The skins are especially helpful in relieving sweat issues on a vinyl seat. The company is first rate and usually will have you your seat in 3 days. If you order one, don't forget to type in the word "deadsheep" in the coupon box. It will get you 5% off.

.....but if you perform the act on the edge of a cliff, the sheep tend to 'back up' to you a little bit more. So I have heard.

I got the aerostich sheepskin pad and it does help a little. Less burning on long rides and doesn't crumple up your underwear when moving around in the saddle. You will slide a little bit more as it doens't have the same grip as the stock seat. Fits both the front and rear seats and just takes a couple seconds to put on/off.

I have the Alaska leather cover. Love it. Keeps heat away, absorbs butt moisture, and provides a little better weight distribution.

It's not a replacement for a custom seat, but seems to work for me for long rides.

FWWI, I would experience butt burn about 250 miles into a day trip on the highway before the sheepskin. Much less on twisty roads where you are shifting weight in performance mode.

Now I do not experience butt burn at all and am not considering an aftermarket seat anymore. Granted, I do not Iron Butt. 350 miles of twisties is about where I want to stop, but still no butt burn.

Last month with the pad I went 2600 miles in 6 days (mix of slab and mountain riding)...no butt burn. Temps were mix of very hot/humid, rain, and Canada morning chills (ie all heated gear at full blast). I've had it about 2 years/11K miles and have never even considered taking it off on my 03 (read seat well broken in).

Same riding gear (aerostitch). Same gold bond powder treatment in the am and after lunch. Same mesh riding shorts before and after the swap. The latter two are definitely advisable regardless of seat, however the gold bond may be sensitive to your wifes' privates. Dunno.

Net..Net...she will not know if she likes it unless she tries it. But I will say it's 10000x better than beads and 10x better than nothing.

I'm confident a custom seat would be better, but it may be worth the $500+ difference to give it a chance, especially if you guys are not touring nuts.

ditto on the Alaskan sheepskin.

I have had it on my BMW for the last three years and I really like it.

It pretty much stays on all the time.

I agree with the previous posts that it is not a substitute for a custom seat but if it works with the stock seat imagine how much better it will be with a aftermarket seat

+1 - especially in hot weather ---> "I have had several of the Alaska Leather sheepskins on various bikes including my current FJR and KLR 650. For me, it extends my range an extra 100 - 150 miles before discomfort. The skins are especially helpful in relieving sweat issues on a vinyl seat."