experinced a start problem...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Edison

Let It Ride
Reaction score
a couple of times. I'll push the starter and it starts to turn over and then stops, the trip indicators zero, then I turn off the key, try again and it will start. Am I doing something wrong? I've only had the bike since May 22nd. Other than three or four times that this has happended it is a sweet ride. :blink:

a couple of times. I'll push the starter and it starts to turn over and then stops, the trip indicators zero, then I turn off the key, try again and it will start. Am I doing something wrong? I've only had the bike since May 22nd. Other than three or four times that this has happended it is a sweet ride. :blink:
Tom Edison.

Electrical problem.

Friday afternoon....

I need another drink...

Sounds like a loose battery cable or battery near death.

Or a computer condition that's far more scarier...and hopefully premature to speculate about. (see above post about drinking as a possible solution)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Edison.

Electrical problem.

Friday afternoon....

I need another drink...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had my '06 do this a few months ago, blinked the instruments on a hot start. Definitely agree, change the battery before you're stranded. My old battery is now on lawnmower duty!

--G

Had my '06 do this a few months ago, blinked the instruments on a hot start. Definitely agree, change the battery before you're stranded. My old battery is now on lawnmower duty!
--G
Got the new battery in the shop. going on the first thing in morning. Thank's guys. :yahoo:

As I was taking the old battery out I discovered that the terminials weren't as tight as they could have been. Little effort was needed to remove the bolts. I put the new battery in and all is well. I am thinking however that the other batt could be fine and the cables weren't making enough contact. The problem only happened 4 times in the 2,000 miles that I 've owned it. Any how I know when my new battery was installed. :rolleyes:

You might have found your problem there Tom. Loose terminals cause all sorts of funky things to happen to the bike. At least you have a fresh battery now...

--G

Another way of looking at this is that it cost you $100 to find out that your battery cables were loose. The common mind-set among riders is "Replace the battery for any/all electrical problems--who knows it may fix it." Instead you should check the cables and battery's state of charge first--it creates less "currency drain" on your wallett.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way of looking at this is that it cost you $100 to find out that your battery cables were loose. The common mind-set among riders is "Replace the battery for any/all electrical problems--who knows it may fix it." Instead you should check the cables and battery's state of charge first--it creates less "currency drain" on your wallett.

I now agree. Check the cables first. I didn't want to take the dash apart without having a replacement ready. I'm not total convinced that the cable's were the cause of the malfunction.

On the + side, I've now removed the right side dash twice, hence it get's easier the next time. I have a spare battery, and I'll buy an ohmn meter to check it and then have a meter in my tool kit.

Now I have to figure out how to get the fuse block off the left side dash so I can get that piece of plastic out of the way. I have a power plate comming in the mail and need to rewire some past connections.

Now I have to figure out how to get the fuse block off the left side dash so I can get that piece of plastic out of the way.
There's a secret method.

You have to hold your tongue juuuuust right and say the magic words....some start with "son-of-a...." and some start with "mother....." and there are various incantations if you let your mind free and explore and expand your vocabulary.

OR, you can use your fingernail or a small screw driver to press the tab that lets the block slide free. [SIZE=8pt]heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh[/SIZE]

2006 here.

FWIW I had all kinds of troubles and doubts about the electrics in my 2006 last year (in 2009). I checked and theorised and blamed all kinds of things as the bike was displaying some very random starter behaviour on the original battery.

I replaced the battery and problems went away.

I have kept the original battery in service as a model plane starter and power source for motorized telescope and it performs and recharges very well for those lower current applications.. on two occassions this old battery has been used to jump start a 2000cc Toyota van so there is a big FACT... it's very easy to start a 2000cc Toyota van motor!

Conclusion:

The fjr1300 squeezes a tiny battery in to start a fairly large 1300cc motor..... so even a small drop in battery capacity makes the battery unreliable with this size motor.

nameless