Fairing Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
Hello,

An Adolescent deer ran into me recently on my 2008 FJR and luckily I didn't go down.  However, it cracked my left fairing, headlights and housing and front fairing.  Bike runs fine though.  The dealer said it would run just under $5000 to replace the left fairing, front fairing and headlights (he said the windshield motor would need to be replaced, however it still works just makes a slight noise).That's roughly how much I paid for the bike 9 months ago (no collision insurance).  

So I am looking into how feasible would it be for me to find aftermarket replacement parts and install them myself.  I am a novice when it comes to mechanical stuff on motorcycles.

Where are good places to look for replacement parts (other than eBay)?  Any other parts should I look for that are not obvious? (I've heard they don't make the headlight bezels for 08 headlights anymore).  

Any good how to videos?

Any advice is much appreciated!

They give you a list of things that need to be replaced?  If so, dredge eBay, For Sale threads, and online parts sources pinned on this forum in that area.....and do your own estimate for parts.  Hint: An ACTUAL intact lower left fairing is more in the $100 range used in fair shape. Some, like the reflector, are hard to find and going to be the more expensive one.

Compare and  then decide if that x value is even in the ball park value for you to become more than a novice.  If so, then go to the next PNW Tech Meet and pick brains of dozens of novice, intermediates, and experts.

Pulling the fairing isn't rocket science, just tedious.  There was a good step-by-step thread here, somewhere.  I had printed it out.  Use a lot of zip loc bags to stash the fasteners and label them.  The nose fairing is tricky, more so reinstalling, but doable with patience.

Sure you thought about, but read you don't have collision insurance , but do you have comprehensive? That will cover forest rat strikes.

all those parts are easy to replace.  Just need to source them like Iggy said.  If you need help PM me, there are lots of people here in the NW that can lend a hand.  Should only tak a few hours. 

Also you can get the Windscreen Drive Motor on ebay for $68.  Pretty reasonable.

Thanks y'all for the feedback...and thanks mcatrophy for the pics and rosskean for the link....very helpful.  

Auburnfjr....I will most likely take you up on the pm since most of this is new territory for me.

Those fairings are made of ABS plastic and they can be easily welded. I bought a totaled 2005 in 2012 with 47000 km (29000 m) and I completely rebuilt it. 95% of the damages were cometics, ie broken plastic and twisted front fairing frame. The windshield and the fuel tank were not even scratches. The only major part I replaced was the rear frame that was broken at the back due to the weight of the rear cargo box. The bike now have 172000 km (105000m) and still runs like new... Find a place where they weld plastic and a good bodyshop and I think you can repair your bike for less than $1500. And I doubt very much that your windshield motor need replacement.

If the plastics are irreversibly trashed, you might consider getting a complete fairing "kit" on eBay.  Until fairly recently, they only had Gen I kits but I found some Gen II ones.  As suggested by pierreroyoldtimer, you might be surprised at what can be done with ABS "welding".

The eBay stuff is NOT accurately color matched but you might be OK with the black.

I have NO idea about fit and finish.  Never heard especially good things regarding the Gen I kits but it might be worth asking around to see if anyone has some experience with them - with so many vendors, they must be selling at least a few.  Cost for everything is between $500 and $600.

(This is one of the cheaper ones)   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairing-Fit-for-Yamaha-2006-2011-FJR1300-Glossy-Black-ABS-Bodywork-Kit-t002/153663284611?hash=item23c70ba583:g:IWQAAOSwtu9dkFka

Certainly worth keeping your eyes open for the individual parts required but sadly, the stuff you need is fairly likely to be damaged if coming from a wrecked bike.  If the headlight bucket needs replacement, I would watch eBay for that.  They come up for a couple hundred bucks but nothing I could see today for a Gen II.  (Around $500 new from Yamaha)