Family dog of 16 years gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for your loss bro. I've never had to put one down, but we have 3 furries in the house now - 2 that meow and 1 that barks. I know the day will come when I'll be posting something like this and it will crush me. I'd tell you to remember all the good times, but, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that for you to do it.

So sorry about your loss Southern.

Had a buff Cairn - Harry. Fantastic little guys. Squirrel terrorizers. And as you said, smart as hell, and just as sweet.

He had you there with him till the end. Peace and love brother.

Take care.

This one always helps me when I think of my furred/feathered freinds that have passed and what I have to look forward to when it's my time to give up my planetary residence.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Sam and Jake send their condolences too

IMG_1408.jpg

Many heartfelt condolences...

No words can soothe the loss of a pet. Who else in our lives love us so completely and unconditionally as they do?

I wish the best for you and the family.

I have been in your shoes. When I lost a cat of 11 years five years ago it was one of the hardest things I ever did. I can still remember the weather that day, the color of cars in the parking light, and what stop lights were green and which were red. Over time things do get better.

Sorry for your lose. Pets are really a close part of any family and are always hard to give up. Our family had a golden lab just like family and happened to us after 10 years. You will recover and maybe find a new loving pet to fill your void , I know we did. Xena now is the my best daytime friend (I work a graveyard) and loves going to the bank for doggy treats.

My thoughts are w/ you!! I can completely relate, I grew up w/ a pup that went 18.5 yrs w/ our family. I was a 3rd grader in '52 when we got him and just out of the USAF in the Summer of '70 when he was put down. By the time I got home from the service he also was blind & deaf, nonetheless even w/ not having seen me for 2.5 yrs while I was overseas, it was obvious he recognized me straightaway it the door, ...choked me up big time. He was a shaggy mutt [schnauser/Std Poodle - we think]. Just as you say about your Doc [what a handsome fellow by the way!], he was was bright, playfull, athletic, friendly to a fault, and a 'character' to the core! ...& I'm gettin' all teary-eyed typing this, as no doubt you will for quite a spell in thinkin' about your old pal! Face it, few [if any] of our human companions are as un-flinching in their loyality as our pooches, ...what's the bumpersticker say about 'trying to be the person my dog thinks I am'?! I haven't had another since , but once I tire of galavanting around the country on murdersickles & such, I'm sure I will once again! Maybe that's how we pay'em back, ...by giving a good home to another! Hang in there, it gets easier!

So sorry you had to give your little buddy back to his maker. BTDT for two dogs and a cat, so far. It never gets easy, but the alternative of living without their company is much worse, IMHO. Take comfort in knowing that you gave him a full and blessed life, much more than way too many pets ever get.

:rip_1: Doc

I've had to say goodbye to dogs of 13 and 16 years, those where a couple of the saddest days in my memory. Only time will cure the saddest, however for help with that lonely emptiness you could take a look here Cairn Terrier Rescue

th_aired-ring.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
so very sorry for the loss of your old friend. He sure looked like a good boy.

I feel your pain - your last paragraph pretty much describes the same scenario of the worst two days of my life when I had to put down our 16.5 y.o. miniature schnauzer four years ago. She was truly my best friend.

God that was a bad day for our entire family - our daughter had that friend the first 16.5 years of her life. Its still tough for me to write about that day.

We found two puppies to fill in the void and it sure helped.

Our old collie "Happy" is here with me and I don't even want to think about going through what you just did. I really feel for you. We had to put our old housecat down a couple of years ago and learned from him that when it's time, it would be really cruel to postpone the inevitable, so I'm sure you did the right thing.

Bob

SouthernFJR,

I sit here responding to you and this forum in tears. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your family for the loss of Doc Watson (what a happy and handsome looking dog he was). I don't have any wise words for you...wish I did.

I can only say that I hope you have comfort in all the great memories he gave you - and you him (you will always have those, thus his spirit lives on) and that he will be waiting for you in eternal rest and peace (just my opinion - reference evilmedic's "Rainbow Bridge").

What also moves me, is this forum's response and all the wonderful people here. I am a huge believer that a good gauge of a person is in the way that they treat animals. Reading the responses has definitely reinforced my view of many people...that there are many mighty good people here! Very touching.

Please know that you and Doc Watson are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rex

"The only fault of the dog, is that his life is too short."

I like that quote a lot. Is it attributable?
Fred,

I apologize for not citing the quote. I read versions of it in James Herriot's book Dog Stories and also Jeffery Mason refers to it in Dogs Never Lie About Love. Both excellent books by the way.

However, the exact quote and author is:

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."

-Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Again, apologies for not citing the quote.

I like that quote a lot. Is it attributable?
Fred,

I apologize for not citing the quote. I read versions of it in James Herriot's book Dog Stories and also Jeffery Mason refers to it in Dogs Never Lie About Love. Both excellent books by the way.

However, the exact quote and author is:

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."

-Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Again, apologies for not citing the quote.
No apology necessary. I like your version better!! :D

|

|

|

|

v

SouthernFJR,

Add me to the list of folks who know what you're feeling right around now. Best wishes and know that ol' Doc had a good and loving life with his humans.

A friend recommended that I read "Marley and me" after we lost Taz our cocker spaniel almost 2 years ago. It's a worthy read and I also recommend it as well. It's a very pungent read after loosing such a committed pal of many years.

I know your aching well, I have endured it a few times and I am very sorry for your loss. Such feelings are part of what separate men from boys I believe. I cannot imagine life without those feelings which come over you when you loose any loved one, be it a friend, a parent, a spouse, a child, a sibling and yes even a pet.

It took almost a year before Sam nudged his way into our life. He chose us by coming to our door as a puppy. He was unwanted by our neighbor, whose girlfriend brought him. I was not ready for another dog and tried to talk my wife into allowing me to take him to a no kill shelter. Man oh man, was I ever wrong there and am greatful that we kept him and he in turn returns the favor each and every day. All the dogs which have come and gone in my life I have come to believe each is better than the one before and Sam is no exception. I asked him what kind of dog he was.........he responded "I'm just a dog."

Each and every morning before I leave for work and as soon as I return he is waiting at the door with his throw toy in his mouth and we have our few minutes together. I have no idea how he learned to retrieve, but time after time for as long as my arm will hold up he returns his toy and drops it at my feet for another, always with as eager expression as the last...........I hope it never ends. He is so much more than just a dog.

We have a boxer that is coming up on 13 years old and we know our day is coming sooner then later. It will be one of the sadist days of my life when we have to put her down. You have my deepest sympathy. I was going to post this you-tube link on the forum anyways, but it seems very appropriate to post it in this thread. It is about a 12 year Houston boy that called into a radio station with a sad story. Give it a listen; it is only a few minutes long!

I was trying to write something soothing or witty but I can't since I'm only thinking (and crying) about the dreadful day when my Rosie crosses her bridge. I can only imagine the pain, having never put down a pet; I can only guess the reality is probably worse than my imagination. Hang in there. Share and enjoy the memories with friends and family.

At least you got to hold your friend during the last moments. My vet wouldn't allow it, had his 'helper' hold, then before I could even rub his ears one last time the vet quickly injected and it was over. I was so pissed I made a MAJOR scene and have never used that vet again. Sigh.