Farkle a '14ES with carbon fiber weave textured vinyl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be my first EVER post on a "How It Looks" thread...partially because I'm damn-near color blind as a dog and I normally don't give a crap about the way things look (other than hawt chix) but I gotta tell ya, as an owner of a 2004 FJR, the best looking version EVER, I'll admit this is the BEST looking FJR I've ever seen.

My Frankenbike is now #2 in the "Looks Department".
upset.gif

Looks great. I'd do the front moveable fairing pieces in it, like the tank trim a lot, but would paint the side panels red.

BTW, HJC had a carbon fibre helmet in black or red a few years ago, clearcoated, and it looked fabulous in the red...... kinda red and black, was cool.

This may be my first EVER post on a "How It Looks" thread...partially because I'm damn-near color blind as a dog and I normally don't give a crap about the way things look (other than hawt chix) but I gotta tell ya, as an owner of a 2004 FJR, the best looking version EVER, I'll admit this is the BEST looking FJR I've ever seen.
My Frankenbike is now #2 in the "Looks Department".
upset.gif
Wow, thanks for the compliment!

You're welcome. As I noted earlier, normally i'd NEVER give POSITIVE comments on someone's bike, but yours is the shizzle! (be glad...if i thought it sucked, I would tell the world :) )

I agree with others...do the carbon fiber treatment to the adjustable fairing panels...and ignore RaYzerman...leave those side panels just the way you did them.

Oh, well, WTF, Somebody has to tell the emperor he has no clothes.

Sorry, maybe it looks different in person, but it just doesn't do it for me. YMMV

Mark

Oh, well, WTF, Somebody has to tell the emperor he has no clothes.
Sorry, maybe it looks different in person, but it just doesn't do it for me. YMMV

Mark
No worries. Everyone has different tastes.

For anyone wanting to do this, I forgot to mention that you need a hair dryer to allow the vinyl to adjust to the dips and contours! When you carefully heat it you can manipulate and stretch it within reason, remove the heat and hold it in place until it adheres.

Well, rode the bike for the first time since applying this farkle. I found out the semi-heated garage was not warm enough for the vinyl on one of the side panels to set. I found about 1/4 of the vinyl peeled off the plastic. All the other parts were in great condition and lasted the ride and wash afterwards. I will have to re-do the affected piece when my next order of carbon fiber arrives. In the mean time, my carbon fiber Delkevic 14" slip-ons arrived today - guess what my project is for tomorrow!
grin.gif

The Delkevic carbon silencers should look great with your '14, be sure to post up pictures... one image request if you do post up pictures, once the new silencers are installed could you take a shot from either side of the bike with the bags in place? I'm curious how the balance will look with the 14" pipes and the bags...
smile.png

NIcely done. Dunno of anywhere I'd do that on my '07 (lotsa titanium and silver-color bits), but I've got other bikes that could use a touch...

I just finished applying a carbon fiber weave textured vinyl on my '14ES. It was a bit of a pain to get the vinyl to follow some of the curves and dips, but I finally got her done. I hoped to make a how to with pics and a template but found that this project was more art than fact. It provides some protection against and grip for my knees when riding harder. I think this looks better than the silver colors used for the under-tank trim and side panels. Agree?

I may also do the two adjustable side vents. I have to order some more vinyl first!

8gel.jpg

8zz9.jpg

cckr.jpg

lbm2.jpg
This Red/Black look is freekin sick!

Fantastic job. NOW I REALLY want a 2014...more so than before.

The Delkevic carbon silencers should look great with your '14, be sure to post up pictures... one image request if you do post up pictures, once the new silencers are installed could you take a shot from either side of the bike with the bags in place? I'm curious how the balance will look with the 14" pipes and the bags...
smile.png
Like this?:

2j9t.jpg

As indicated, there is about 1.25" of clearance between the case and the exhaust. This is why I bought the 14" cans...I thought the 18" ones would be too close at the end since they angle up higher than the bottom of the case.

6mpx.jpg

Thanks for the images! You're right, I'd wonder if the 18" would end up too close to the bags? Have you taken her off the center stand yet? The left side mid-pipe looks lower and is angled differently than stock and it looks like the center stand stop is lower which would keep the center stand hanging lower. When you had the Two Brothers exhaust on did you notice the center stand held lower? The build quality of the Delkevic silencers looks nice...

Yes, I took it off of the center stand and it looks like the stop on the left pipe does keep the stand from coming all the way up. At most, it is a 1/2" difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update, the camera angle made it look like it would be more dramatic than a 1/2" difference... good! I'm really liking those Delkevic slip-ons...
smile.png

And to me, they sound very similar to my Two Bros with the P1X silencer installed - very throaty and a low growl without a lot of increased sound volume.