Farklefest 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine should be here within the next 2 days, so I'll find out shortly. I'm glad to hear you didn't need one. They should make things that fit or send all parts with IMO. The link to the one I ordered is up above, Ron.
The Techmounts come with either a 1 1/2 stem or a 3 1/2 inch stem....the latter being standard. I mounted a 1 1/2 inch stem on mine with a small GPS..Quest 2...to keep it below the instruments and out of the way of the key. I would like to see how you mount everything. I recommend you look at a locking GPS mount...try looking here https://www.cycoactive.com/ where you might have gotten your touratech. No the holes didnt really line up...very simple drilling job, though...took five minutes....

I miss my satellite radio...can you play one through the J&M?

Ron
I already have the locking mount, so I'm ready to go. I'm using the Ipod right now but am interested in the satellite radio. Have it in the car and love it!! I found this for the J&M: satellite radio

Not sure what I'd all need to make it happen but I'll be looking into soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine should be here within the next 2 days, so I'll find out shortly. I'm glad to hear you didn't need one. They should make things that fit or send all parts with IMO. The link to the one I ordered is up above, Ron.
The Techmounts come with either a 1 1/2 stem or a 3 1/2 inch stem....the latter being standard. I mounted a 1 1/2 inch stem on mine with a small GPS..Quest 2...to keep it below the instruments and out of the way of the key. I would like to see how you mount everything. I recommend you look at a locking GPS mount...try looking here https://www.cycoactive.com/ where you might have gotten your touratech. No the holes didnt really line up...very simple drilling job, though...took five minutes....

I miss my satellite radio...can you play one through the J&M?

Ron
I used a SkyFi with my J&M 2003 but found I had to turn the SkyFi up all the way and had distortion so i put a Boosteroo in line and it worked great. I have since changed to a Pioneer AirWare XM2GO and it works great without a boosteroo.

FJRchik,

Can you tell us where you sourced the parts from?...(Givi antenna mount?)

Thnx

FJRchik,Can you tell us where you sourced the parts from?...(Givi antenna mount?)

Thnx
Well the parts are nothing that fancy I'm afraid. The antenna parts I got at the Love's Truck Stop across the freeway from where I live. Ryan fabricated some of the stuff seen and everything else came with the J&M system. The piece of metal holding the Ipod in place is Ryan's handiwork. And that's a wrench (spray-painted black) attaching the antenna to the license plate holder. J&M sells all the antenna stuff for around $90 I think, but we did it for $45. The fuse block is what took forever to find, which came from a company called Vantex. It didn't come with a cover, so that's why the piece of rubber covering it.

Hope that helps!!

FJRchik,

Can you tell us where you sourced the parts from?...(Givi antenna mount?)

Thnx
Well the parts are nothing that fancy I'm afraid. The antenna parts I got at the Love's Truck Stop across the freeway from where I live. Ryan fabricated some of the stuff seen and everything else came with the J&M system. The piece of metal holding the Ipod in place is Ryan's handiwork. And that's a wrench (spray-painted black) attaching the antenna to the license plate holder. J&M sells all the antenna stuff for around $90 I think, but we did it for $45. The fuse block is what took forever to find, which came from a company called Vantex. It didn't come with a cover, so that's why the piece of rubber covering it.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks a million...funny thing is I have a fuse block...was gonna use it on my 05...never got around to it...

Ride Safe,

Ron

Uhh..I put the Techmount stemstand on my 06 to mount my GPS ...Mike at Techmount said it fit the 06 (don't know if it was a different stem stand or not)...it didnt seem to need a washer or any sort...did I miss something?Ron
Sorry I didn't get back to you before, been out of town for a while. The stemnut I had on my '03 was too shallow ( and needed an additional washer) for the '06, no doubt about it. Now they may have changed the stemnut after I purchased mine...I don't know. Well, if the nut you purchased fits...great, I just wanted to warn you about what I encountered. Sorry I confused you.

Petey

Uhh..I put the Techmount stemstand on my 06 to mount my GPS ...Mike at Techmount said it fit the 06 (don't know if it was a different stem stand or not)...it didnt seem to need a washer or any sort...did I miss something?

Ron
Sorry I didn't get back to you before, been out of town for a while. The stemnut I had on my '03 was too shallow ( and needed an additional washer) for the '06, no doubt about it. Now they may have changed the stemnut after I purchased mine...I don't know. Well, if the nut you purchased fits...great, I just wanted to warn you about what I encountered. Sorry I confused you.

Petey
IIRC it changed with the 04' or 05' , I remember someone having that problem long ago and Techmount changed it.

Uhh..I put the Techmount stemstand on my 06 to mount my GPS ...Mike at Techmount said it fit the 06 (don't know if it was a different stem stand or not)...it didnt seem to need a washer or any sort...did I miss something?

Ron

Petey
IIRC it changed with the 04' or 05' , I remember someone having that problem long ago and Techmount changed it.
Rogue and Petey thanks...

Makes me feel a little better :)

Ron

I use a stem mount for my Sirius. Where did you get your radio? Did the antenna and mounting hardware come with it? Does it have a jack for ear phones, or do you need another device?

IMG_1552.jpg

I use a stem mount for my Sirius. Where did you get your radio? Did the antenna and mounting hardware come with it? Does it have a jack for ear phones, or do you need another device?
Hey Tom,

I don't have a radio on my bike and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards skipping it. I already XM in the car and on the computer so I'm thinking now that I'll just stick with the Ipod for better variety. I explained all the antenna stuff in my last post and the other mounting hardware for the J&M handset does come with it. You need to get the headset installed in your helmet which my local dealer did for me. J&M has several choices on the headsets (earphones and boom mike), just depends on your needs and quality preference. They recommend a higher end model if your going to listen to music and the extra money is well worth it. Very good quality. The jack to plug it into, mounts on the side of your tank and I have a shot of it, but it's not a close-up. Hopefully you can see where I put it (made the pic large for you), right below the logo on the side of the tank. Nice and convienient. Hope that answers all your questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tom,

I don't have a radio on my bike and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards skipping it. I already XM in the car and on the computer so I'm thinking now that I'll just stick with the Ipod for better variety. I explained all the antenna stuff in my last post and the other mounting hardware for the J&M handset does come with it. You need to get the headset installed in your helmet which my local dealer did for me. J&M has several choices on the headsets (earphones and boom mike), just depends on your needs and quality preference. They recommend a higher end model if your going to listen to music and the extra money is well worth it. Very good quality. The jack to plug it into, mounts on the side of your tank and I have a shot of it, but it's not a close-up. Hopefully you can see where I put it (made the pic large for you), right below the logo on the side of the tank. Nice and convienient. Hope that answers all your questions!

Sure, sure, sure...you don't need a radio! Well my ipod is loaded, too....but I gotta have my sports radio fix...ESPN and FOX....and a little CNN headline news...MSNBC business news...and for my cross country forays....the weather channel....actually I have satellite radio on my BMW LT and there is nothing like leanin back and flippin channels on a summy day.. :) Before the advent of XM satellite radio, my daughters used to kid the heck out of me....that "I was the only person they knew!...that listened to AM radio!!" :)

Ride safe,

Ron

fjrchik,

Thanks for the info. Too bad. I thought that J&M CB was a radio. I like my Sirius, but I wish someone made a real FM radio for a bike. :(

Your bike looks great!

Hola all,

We finished up the bike today! I'm thrilled to have it done and am very happy with the results. The only issue we had was putting the techmount plate onto the tourtech cage. We had to drill a coupla holes but not a big deal. The techmount stem stand allows the GPS to fit in so nicely. Allows for a very clean appearance. We also installed Skyway's sliders. Here's some pics of the finished bike.

Sliders will definitely catch first!

img19618is.jpg

Dash shot:

Back side of GPS, shot through the windscreen

All done for now... :yahoo:

Yeah, Ryan asked me today if we are done. I said "Til I see something else I want!"

Maybe louder pipes.... :D

Actually my Tankslapper kit never made it to my house, Lucas said he mailed it on April 30th. So a MagKnight set may be my next purchase. Had a set on my 03, loved it. And I have to get my personalized plate ordered. So yeah I think the major installs are done for now. And this stuff looks so great because Ryan is the Farkle King!! I told him he should install farkles for a living! Dude is good!! :clapping: