Farkling Parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPS charger you can accomplish for way less than $55. Hide a 12V outlet under the seat, run a car charger with a right angle mini-B cable. Hidden, easy, and cheap.

Factory glove box outlet is easy to wire up to constant 12V. Little wire, little solder (or crimp connector if you prefer), run it to your Fuzeblock. Piece of cake.

Townsend - I've got the cradle for my GPS and a rambone for mounting it to the bike. I see the Powerlet wire you have used - thanks.

And we keep going:

3A The aux lights I'm going to buy will be LED (Either another set of Alex's or similar). At 10 Watts each, together they draw less than 2 amps. It would be cleaner to use my waterproof switch to break the hot wire for the lights (tied together). Otherwise, if I use the switch to break the trigger wire, I've got to round trip wire back and forth to the seat.

Thinking about using this switch - Velcro or otherwise (bracket as Townsend suggest) to the clutch m/c:

https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-040-LS-B-Button-Switch/dp/B0022ZV1KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432072918&sr=8-1&keywords=12+Volt+waterproof+switch

Anybody see a problem with that?

3B It would appear that the Givi SR-357 rack does NOT work with the Givi Mono-LOCK top boxes. Would somebody please confirm that. Assuming such, which racks work with the Mono-LOCK box? I'd like to keep my 31L for day trips, and eventually get a 46L or 53L for the tours. Of course, I'd like to be able to plug-n-play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Townsend - I've got the cradle for my GPS and a rambone for mounting it to the bike. I see the Powerlet wire you have used - thanks.
Thinking about using this switch - Velcro or otherwise (bracket as Townsend suggest) to the clutch m/c:

https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-040-LS-B-Button-Switch/dp/B0022ZV1KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432072918&sr=8-1&keywords=12+Volt+waterproof+switch

Anybody see a problem with that?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
If its wired to turn off with the ignition, nope.

If NOT, I would go with a marine grade (they have the rubber covers) Toggle switch.

This way you can visably see if its on or off(the lever is either up(on) or off(down). With the push button, you can't tell without looking at the front of the bike..

Pants, just my opinion...

Look carefully at the pic I texted you yesterday of the Mondo Motos lights. If that waterproof switch is acceptable to you and you just don't like the Mondo Motos setup, I happen to have another switch, wiring harness and relay from Mondo Motos, I just don't have the lights to go with them. Those same lights are also available from a forum member, I THINK it is Alex but I will have to check.

I will happily let you have this setup and you can just get whatever lights make you happy.

Based on what I now know of the Givi SR357 and V46... Ditch that 31 liter Givi you now have. That '14 looks really good and that box does not. Get the SR357 and the V46, install it and forget about it. You will not regret it. Sell the 31 liter on this forum and be done with it.

Again, just my opinion...
smile.png

31 liters??!?!?! What the hell can you carry in a 31-liter case??!?!?!

Those are made for SCOOTERS, dude!!!!

(Well, OK, not scooters, but damn, that's tiny!!! Basically agreeing with Redfish..... And the 46 might no be enough; break the 50 barrier!!!!!)

Make a bracket for the fuzeblock and mount it under in the tail section under the rear seat, that way it takes up less room...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/116417-mounting-centech-fuse-block/?hl=%2Bmounting+%2Bcentech

Also if you get those lights / mirror brackets that Niehart suggested, which are awesome, LEDRIDERS has a dimmer that uses a high beam bypass for $25, just set it and forget it, hit your high beams and they go full blast !!

Here is my install - Fuzeblock on bracket I made and the dimmer just below fits perfect....

PJF_6842_zpsojg3t2k9.jpg

PJF_6843_zpsub9edytd.jpg

Warpdrv - thanks for the info on the bracket. Good food for thought there.

RFH - will call you later this week, mucho thanks.

I've got to watch budget. Not enough money now for a new top box. The more I look at the SR-357 the more I realize that I think my mono-lock will work. I may have to make an adapter plate (I've got some sheet aluminum that would work perfect). But I don't want to put any top box on until I get the rear rack.

Edit - forget it, Givi says it won't work. Damm it!!!!!!

Moving on....

4a Frame Sliders - what have you Gen III peeps got? Where'd you get it? I'm only interested in the "no-cut" variety. I'm not crazy about removing the fairings to install them, but the kind that attaches only on the single frame stud worries me too. Pictures would be appreciated.

Think most people go with the T-Rex Sliders...... https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=468

There are also the SW-Motech https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-frame-slider-kit-for-yamaha-fjr1300-06-13?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4fCqBRDM1ZKhk5jfo6IBEiQAZQ97OO_cGVkhnREuJJT4j7JIOdqcWucaPmDvAduU9vjv4bQaAtZq8P8HAQ

Haven't dropped my bass boat blue for some time, but it did have some low speed drop marks, wasn't taking the chances on the 15, so I got the Canyon Cages front and rear, but those are pricey.... but not horrible IMO

Another lighting option is to use the dimmer from advmonster for about $45

https://stores.advmonster.com/waterproof-wireless-led-dimmer-with-high-beam-bypass/

This allows you to run the lights at a lower illumination level (easy to set with the include remote control) and keep them on whenever the bike is running. I can't imagine having aux lights and not want to run them at all times due to their safety benefit. And if they're dimmed, then you can run them continuously without blinding other drivers.

The best thing about the dimmer is that when you turn on the high beams, the aux lights automatically also go full bright. And if you want to get creative with the wiring using diodes, it's also possible to also tie your horn into the dimmer circuit so that whenever you honk the horn the aux lights go full bright for a nice safety benefit.

Question du jour....

Now shopping the tank protector stickers to keep my big gut from scratching up the tank. I bought my Gen 1 with one already installed, so this is new territory for me. It seems that most of these are about 8" tall, and 7" wide feathering down from top to bottom. Boy that seems really tall - what have you guys bought?

I went with the Official Yamaha FJR logo tank pad. It was around $30 and I ordered two of them. Gave one to Pop and installed the other on mine. I was pleased with them. I figured we would learn the pros and cons with these and maybe order the TechSpec setup pictured by Niehart above. Dad was not wanting the side stickers and seems happy with what he has now.

This is what it looks like on G Squared's 2014:

I like theTechspec stuff. I moved it from my '06' to the '10'. Over 150,000 miles on it and you can see the wear spot where my beer gut coat rubs on it.
Echoing Pops, good product and easy to install. Can't comment about the "rub" spots...

--G

'Pants took a step forward yesterday morning when I left work and rode West to meet him. He looked at my fork mounted MondoMoto LEDs, my GenMar bar riser blocks, the T-Rex frame sliders, the tank protector, clutch/brake levers, and the Cee Bailey Sport Shield.

He took Scar down the Interstate to check the windshield function while I rode his shiny new, still in the break in period, '14 A. I diligently kept his new bike at 4500 RPM and watched my '15 disappear into the misty distance as he "Checked the Windshield Function". He seemed satisfied with the Cee Bailey.

Then, instead of letting me go home to sleep he FORCED me to follow him around some of his favorite twisty roads. You would think after working all night I would get a break. The sacrifices we make for our friends... Of course I am paying for that lack of sleep right now.

Question du jour....
Now shopping the tank protector stickers to keep my big gut from scratching up the tank. I bought my Gen 1 with one already installed, so this is new territory for me. It seems that most of these are about 8" tall, and 7" wide feathering down from top to bottom. Boy that seems really tall - what have you guys bought?
Techspec also sells larger rectangular pieces singular. I didn't want anything really big and bought one of these.

I trimmed it down to fit my needs (recommended by Techspec to trim)

Looks as good as the sides, Just don't go crazy trying to attach/bend it around a complex corner.

Yep - I twisted RFH's arm to ride with me. Given his choices - go home and sleep or ride, it was hardly a decision. Who needs sleep? We can sleep when we die (says the man that just woke up from an uninterupted 7 hours of shut-eye).

In case anyone's interested, the Cee Bailey Sport with a 6-foot rider (34" inseam) is rock stable up to a 100 mph!!! DAMHIK.

Now getting ready to meet G-Squared for another morning adventure. Having fun breaking in the new toy. I'm being respectful of Momma Yammi's break-in instructions. Only a few hundred miles left.....

This afternoon, while SWMBO takes her obligartory holiday after lunch nap, Pants will spend some money on farkles.

Oh and BTW - 39.5 mpg on the first tank? In break-in form? WTF? Perhaps the ECU is cheating rich for a few tanks? Other Gen III owners experience this?

Oh and BTW - 39.5 mpg on the first tank? In break-in form? WTF? Perhaps the ECU is cheating rich for a few tanks? Other Gen III owners experience this?
If I remember correctly, I got about 42 mpg on my first tank. Average since then has been 43-46, depending on how much stop and go or slabbing above 80 mph. You know I don't ride gently on curvy roads and will actually get 45-47 mpg when charging twisties.

Btw, the lcd fuel consumption indicator send to be pretty accurate!