Farkling Parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pants - had Seth redo both rider and passenger for me, woman was very concerned about changing from the happiness the rear stock seat was for her, but I said just hold tight and everything will be fine..... Looks the part with the new shape and comfort level is perfect for her..... No problems, Seth didn't have to make much changes for her 100lb stature....

When the seat is new it will be a bit slippery, but rest assured it has worn in nicely and no problem there anymore either....

You'll love the seat....

The seat issue I'm having is whether to re-cover the pillion to match my re-worked rider seat, or leave it stock the way my wife likes it, and have it mis-match the rider's seat (form or function).
G - interesting comment. Do you just drape that material over the seat?
Kinda. I cut the piece long enough that it wraps the back and goes between the seat and rear cowling, front squeezes between the seats.

Try it, your wife will be a lot happier not having to worry about sliding around...I promise!

--G

Ordered the SR-357 - I'm going to install it and look at it closely. I may still order the stiffy later.

Wife and I are going to take a ride tomorrow. I'm going to ask her to concentrate on the seat comfort. I'll make a decision on that next week. 8 weeks before my trip - I need to get in line at Seth's if I want my seat back in time.

I think I'm going to go with the V series Givi box (46 or 52). Half the price and I really like the mono-key design. Color won't match, but I can live with that.

I think I'm going to go with the V series Givi box (46 or 52). Half the price and I really like the mono-key design. Color won't match, but I can live with that.
You were worried about 2 different seats? But 2 different colors doesn't bother you? It'd drive me nuts. Damn the cost, you've got a brand new bike!

I'm just jealous is all.

Pretty good point, Tim. I hear that you can get a color matched lid for the V-series boxes. I'll check into it.

Went back and looked at your "west trip" pictures - getting some ideas for my upcoming tour in September. Really good stuff - would be nice to spend some road time with you and Nick!

Well shit - time to pour more money on it.

I can build a simple adapter plate to transition from my SR-356 to the mono-loc bottom plate. But there is so little room within the "triangle" shaped hole for the mounting bolts. Even if I spread 3 bolts out as far as possible, it would be like mounting a bird bath - not very strong. I thought about using some C-channel, but that would look like crap.

So I guess I'll buy the damm mono-loc box. I was really hoping to use my small mono-key box for day trips.

That ship has sailed. I've received and installed the SR-357 (had to shim the rear most bushing and use a longer bolt like many of you. That baby is solid. I should be good there.

Now trying to decide between mono-key box to get. I think the 33 will be large enough (my current 31L mono-loc box has gone all over the country). The 46 is another $100.00, but it has its advantages as well. I'll think about it.

Also ordered my Laam seat last week. Build date is August 11 and Seth promises me he will have it back to me on Sept. 1 - plenty enough time for my upcoming trip.

Update - July 30, 2015

Placed my order for my Laam seat a couple of weeks ago. My build date is August 11, so I shall be shipping the stock seats in the next week, give or take. Redfish Hunter has graciously agreed to loan me pair of seats from his dad's Gen II to use while my seats are being worked.

I also ordered a V46 top box this week. $250.00 shipped from Ebay - the best brand new price I've seen in a while.

That should do it for the Red Pony Express. I really like my bike, and can't wait to put some real miles on her in the upcoming months

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've added one more farkle to the big red girl.

On Thursday, upon returning home from our daily commute, SWMBO informed me:

(SWMBO) "You got something from Giiiiiieeviiiiiiee?"

(Pants) "It's pronounced Givi an thank you."

(SWMBO) "Is that something for your motorcycle?"

(Pants) "Yes"

(SWMBO) "What is it?"

(Pants) "I have no idea."

(SWMBO) "You ordered something for your bike and you have no idea what it is?"

(Pants) "Not exactly. (Redfish Hunter) told me he was sending me something. I think this is it."

(SWMBO) "(Redfish Hunter) bought you a gift?"

(Pants) "Apparently so."

(SWMBO) "Open it up!! I'm kind of excited."

(the box is opened)

(SWMBO) "What is that?"

(Pants) "I'll show you."

IMG_1392_zps4xobr1po.jpg

IMG_1393_zpsvza69kxs.jpg

IMG_1395_zpso4hjht9z.jpg

Dude bought me the color matched cover for my V46. That's the nicest thing anybody has done for me in a while. Cheers to you, my friend!!!!

Anyhoo - my Laam Seat arrives next week and I think that should do it for a while. Ready to take the bike on a real ride! Like about 4500 miles real!!!!

Before we get all mushy, this was done for completely selfish reasons.

1. I will have to follow this bike for several days, for several thousand miles. I also have to follow this bike on local rides.

2. This bike will appear right next to mine and Pop's FJRs in lots of pics in beautiful locations in what I hope will be one of the best Ride Reports in forum history.

I did not want to deal with the Matte Black top box. So dull, so ordinary. So unworthy of the awesomeness that is the 2014 FJR.

Oh, and you are welcome my friend. That looks fantastic and I am glad it made you happy.

That seat though... It looks really good but not really comfy. You really should do something better!
rolleyes.gif