Feejers and Dirt/Stone Roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
Went out for a ride this afternoon on some favorite local twisties. Lo and behold without any warning (except a generic "Road Work" sign about a mile earlier), I discovered that a long section of downhill (mostly straight, thank God) had been totally depavemented. It was down to dirt and stones. The steamroller was doing work, but it clearly hadn't gotten to much of it yet.

Not much to do but to try to get through. For the next 2 miles (at least), all downhill, I wended my way down. What I found was friction zone/rear brake were my friends, let the bike move under like a dirt bike, and eventually you'll get through. BUT, I will say this -- I was wishing I was on a GS or a V-Strom.

So, can it do it? Yes. Should you do it? Not in my humble opinion.

Good experience, tho', and I'm giving my ride some extra oats this evening.

I agree, the FJR is not at home in the dirt. Having said that there is one individual that recently set the time record from Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL on a FJR which means he came down the Dalton Haul Road on the North Slope in Alaska which is not paved. It is very hard packed but I not want to try this in the wet on the FJR when there are so many better choices (insert your favorite dual-sport bike here).

I agree, the FJR is not at home in the dirt. Having said that there is one individual that recently set the time record from Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL on a FJR which means he came down the Dalton Haul Road on the North Slope in Alaska which is not paved. It is very hard packed but I not want to try this in the wet on the FJR when there are so many better choices (insert your favorite dual-sport bike here).
I kept looking for the "Change the FJR Into A V-Strom" Button. Apparently they didn't have them on '07s.

The Feej is definitely not a dual sport, but sometimes, it's the only way to get where you're going. It is a bit of a handful on the washboards and gullies, and managing it takes away from one's ability to enjoy the scenery. 'Main thing that worries me on dirt roads, though, is throwing something through my radiator. WBill

Been there, done that and lived to tell the tale (although I had my doubts at the time). Easy 300 mile day turned into a 550 mile day. Last stretch back to the hotel was a mountain twisty road, in the dark. I saw the generic 'road work' sign but weighed that up against my mortal fear of making u-turns on the FJR, on a narrow road, with blind turns, in the dark. About ten miles of road surface was absent.

If I'd had the strength to have rigid arms and legs, and white knuckles, you can bet that's what I'd have done but I was exhausted after a full day of Colorado twisties. Instead, I got up on the pegs and pretended real, real hard that this was my TTR125. The FJR did just fine but that scary feeling is so well remembered to this day.

Been there, done that and lived to tell the tale (although I had my doubts at the time). Easy 300 mile day turned into a 550 mile day. Last stretch back to the hotel was a mountain twisty road, in the dark. I saw the generic 'road work' sign but weighed that up against my mortal fear of making u-turns on the FJR, on a narrow road, with blind turns, in the dark. About ten miles of road surface was absent.

If I'd had the strength to have rigid arms and legs, and white knuckles, you can bet that's what I'd have done but I was exhausted after a full day of Colorado twisties. Instead, I got up on the pegs and pretended real, real hard that this was my TTR125. The FJR did just fine but that scary feeling is so well remembered to this day.

I live on a dirt road so I deal with it everyday ....the worst is when I come home from work and the road crew has laid fresh gravel .....this will wake you up.

I live on a dirt road so I deal with it everyday ....the worst is when I come home from work and the road crew has laid fresh gravel .....this will wake you up.
A great story from a gone friend, TwoWheelNut (check the overall postings on this board, he is still #1, more than a year later) and MCML, when they rode FJR's to Alaska..

stopped at a highway construction zone, MCML asked "how far does the gravel go"

TWN, asked 'how deep is the gravel?' :lol:

Guess which was the better question to ask:

In memory of Tim -

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

Butt then HE averaged 60 mph on the haul rd in the rain, some things are just amazing, this was

one of them. Got to meet him at the IBA pizza party this year. Next July I am making the UCCC-

been pondering a GS, But I think I will stick with the FJR.

BTW- HE did not just have an FJR.... He had an 05! :yahoo:

FiveG

It sure makes you learn new riding skills quick. The first time off road for me was on a rutted trail to a primitive campsite at the Badlands. This was day 5 in a 3 week trip. I learned fast to get the weight off my butt, light touch on the front, and trust that rear brake. Since then gravel makes me pay attention, but I'm not afraid of it.

Here is a tip for you... When you get back to asphalt, pull over to the side of the road and pick the stones out of the plastic grill work. If left in there they may rub a hole into the radiator tubing. It will only take a few minutes. Do this after riding chipseal too.

Brodie

I never can find the "Switch the FJR to Dual Sport" button. Most of the time it works out okay - you can ride the Dalton on an FJR. But it is not recommended (by this rider, at least) and Tim was right to ask what he did. That was proven true on the next year's trip up north when, even though the mud as scarier, it was the gravel that finally got me 15 miles south of Prudhoe Bay.

P7010277.jpg

Bluestreek, on the other hand, had few problems - but he is a very good dirt rider with years of experience in the softer stuff.

So, hard dirt is okay, mud can be terminally scary, light gravel is okay, thick gravel is a no no, light gravel on really hard packed dirt or pavement is like riding on ball bearings, and never, ever ride up DCarver's driveway.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, John Ryan took three tries to get down the Dalton. A rock through his oil pan aborted one run and I think he got stuck in the mud or crashed into a guard rail on Atigun Pass on the other. Still, that 60 mph average speed run was unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 300' gravel driveway, which only gives me problems for a couple seconds when I turn from the road onto the driveway and have to adjust to the loss of traction. I don't go over 5 mph to keep the gravel from spraying up on the bike.

Yea, the girl's a bit sketchy in the gravel to be sure, lol. I just slow it up and act like I'm in the snow...slow and easy wins the race. Lately, I've been coming across some little surprises on frequently ridden roads around here...the DOT is doing some sort of maintenance where a 1/4" of gravel/sand/pebble mix is left on the road for miles. There's been a few times where I've come around a corner on a familiar road and get a construction sign and gravel immediately, lol. Kinda makes things interesting at points. Often, you're hard pressed to find brushed out car tracks to follow and just have to suck it up and be pokey.

I enjoy trying to find new roads to ride, sometimes spontaneously, sometimes planned. Living in Maine, this activity frequently puts me on roads that the FJR is not the best tool for, but I have been pretty fortunate so far. Take your time, don't go too fast, and try to pick the smoothest line and you can manage it.

I recently did some riding in "cottage country" in the middle of Ontario. The single lane road I was riding for 10 miles or so wasn't too bad until I came to a sign that said "Road Construction Ahead". I thought it was a joke - in the middle of nowhere - construction? Really? Really! The road crews just laid about 2" of new crushed stone on top of this backcountry goat path. It was 'slightly' compacted, but the FJR wallowed and fishtailed through the next 5 miles. Very high pucker factor!

About 5 years ago I rode the "Golden Road". If anyone has seen the show "American Logger", you have seen the road I am talking about. It really wasn't that bad. The logging companies actually do a pretty good job of maintaining it. You can check out a couple of pics and a brief write up here: https://www.robertmichaud.com/html/logging_roads_2005.html

I am intrigued about doing the Dalton. Someday when I can dedicate the time to getting to the other corner of our continent.

My worst ride ever on a bike was coming down off Ophir Pass on my way to WFO in Reno. Twisted story as to how I got there, but the FJR and downhill shale shelf roads for people who normally are on the balls of their feet on flat ground don't make for a very good match. I've left at least one body panel scar in my view to remind me of that 3 hour jaunt with stupidity and terror.

Last edited by a moderator: