Fi2000R Fuel Injection Module any experience?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDan17

Reaction score
The header says it all I think, but, I bought this bike in November 2014 and have put about 2000 miles on it since. I knew it had several aftermarket items but didn't mess with them at first. Now, I've removed the handlebar lifters, disconnected the oxygen sensor that is laying under the seat next to the Fi2000R Fuel Injection Module, and have experimented with the settings of the module. I'm stumped. I found the package documentation for the Module online, have followed the limited instructions faithfully and now believe I should only let a motorcycle professional mess with my motorcycle; (runs fine, does weird things at times, uses a lot more gasoline than the first 1000 miles). Regardless, does anybody have experience with the Fi2000R Fuel Injection Module? The bike also has aftermarket full exhaust that has no place for an O2 sensor. If anybody can help me understand what I'm dealing with I'd truly appreciate the guidance.

Dan, you might want to confirm that the O2 sensor you pulled out is supposed to be pulled out, i.e. it sounds like this might be a wideband O2 sensor which is needed by the fuel injection gizmo, however, that's just a guess as I'm not at all familiar with this unit, only the PowerCommander.

I'll go ahead & hook it back up to its pigtail under the tank & see if that helps. Thank you.

Let's back up a bit and figure out why this bike needs a fuel controller. Aftermarket air intake or exhaust? Personally I'd return it to stock and ditch the Cobra controller. About all that can do is modify the stock fuel map and make the fuel mix richer. Not too many FJRs have been equipped with those as compared to Power Commanders, and even those seem like a bit of a waste on a Gen I.

I'm no MC technician and have never even played one in the movies... But it sounds like the original owner might have been sold a bill of goods with the fuel controller. I have an '05 (my third FJR) with Beowulf mufflers, no fueling device, and it runs like it should. Whoever sold the exhaust probably saw an opportunity to make another sale of several hundred $$$,maybe even got the guy to pay for dyno tuning. I'd return all to factory set-up and get rid of the fuel device, as several others above suggested. My bet is you'll get cleaner starts, cleaner running and better mileage...maybe even better power. Under normal use, one-up, you should easily be seeing 43-47 MPG.

What all the previous posters have said. I have 137,000 plus on my FJR. I am NOT the fastest rider here. On longer group rides I have always end up in the fastest group and keep up pretty well. My venerable 03 (built in Aug 02) is pure stock. In all that time the amount of time there is probably not more than 45 seconds (ok, that could be considered a long time) were I have been at WOT and having the engine revved up so high that I could not downshift for more power (above 7500RPM[?]).

In short, the FJR, in stock form, is insanely fast when pushed to its absolute limits. Thinks about it, they are FASTER than the legendary V-Max (Original version) in stock form. Any modifications are/will be deep into diminishing returns territory with high chances of loosing substantial amounts of reliability, ride-ability or economy. Of course, a turbocharger and the ability to embarrass Hyabusa's would be undeniably cool.

All the prior are only my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's back up a bit and figure out why this bike needs a fuel controller. Aftermarket air intake or exhaust? Personally I'd return it to stock and ditch the Cobra controller. About all that can do is modify the stock fuel map and make the fuel mix richer. Not too many FJRs have been equipped with those as compared to Power Commanders, and even those seem like a bit of a waste on a Gen I.
This^^^^From what I can remember from my cruiser days we used the the FI2000 to decrease decel exhaust "popping" that you would hear when going to aftermarket pipes. However in doing so, the fuel mileage went out the window and prematurely fouled the plugs as it could only make the bike run richer.

Interestingly if you visit the Cobra FI2000 website they don't seem to show a fitment for the FJR. I suspect (only because I am the suspicious/un-trusting type) that someone convinced the previous owner that if he didn't add a fuel modulator after changing his pipes that all kinds of bad things would ensue. I would disconnect it especially if it has been connected into the bike wiring with those evil vampire taps and check the wires for damage.

Quote from a vendors website "Cobra Fi2000R Digital Fuel Processor for 2003-2005 Yamaha FJR1300/A/AE Motorcycles by Cobra

Not legal for sale or use in California, Alaska and Hawaii due to federal anti-tampering laws.

Nearly every fuel-injected motorcycle can benefit from the installation of the Cobra Fi2000R. Better throttle response and smoother cruising are just a few of the areas improved by the Fi2000R. When your engine has the proper air/fuel ratio metered to it, it can perform to its full potential, run cooler and be a much more satisfying ride.

Cobra's Fi2000 arrives pre-configured from the factory for your bike and model. No confusing computer downloads to install. But, it also has three adjustment pods should your specific application need it. Each unit comes with detailed instructions showing you how to make those adjustments quickly and easily. It's simple to install: The Fi2000R connects with it's O.E.M. style connectors directly to the engine's fuel-injector bodies. It works with any exhaust system - stock or aftermarket and requires no additional Dyno testing or mapping.

*NOTE - This Fi2000R is not legal for street use in California.

Fitment:

2003-2005 Yamaha FJR1300

2004-2005 Yamaha FJR1300A ABS

2005 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Item Details

Increases horsepower and torque by optimizing stock lean air/fuel mixtures

Quick and simple installation with plug and ride technology

No confusing computer downloads to install

No expensive dyno testing required

Preset for each make and model

Virtually eliminates backfiring on deceleration

Cobra Part Number: 92-5159

Not legal for sale or use in California, Alaska and Hawaii due to federal anti-tampering laws.

End Quote

That said, The FJR fuel injection cannot possibly work properly without the O2 sensor in the loop.

Installed with a properly operating FI system the FI2000R can provide some increased power through tuning the air fuel mixture to provide maximum angular movement to the crankshaft at any given throttle opening.

In your case the FI system is not operating properly as the O2 sensor has been removed and is disabled.

I'm surprised you aren't setting a check engine code.

I researched several site and found an application for the FI2000R for the FJR1300. I could not find a fitment on the Cobra Website.

To check your bikes installation there should be a black ground wire usually to the negative battery terminal, and a pair of male and female six pin connectors installed in the Fuel Injection Harness

www.cobrausa.com/site_media/pdf/92-0650.pdf

Link to FJR 1300 Cobra FI2000R Installation and adjustment instructions.

The bike also has aftermarket full exhaust that has no place for an O2 sensor

As has been mentioned already, without the sensor, the fueling system will be running in open loop mode, and therefore will run much richer than normal, resulting in poor mileage/performance.

Consider having one of the headers drilled, and an appropriate sized threaded 'bung' welded in.

An alternative would be to locate a set of OEM headers from any gen., so the O2 sensor can be reconnected.

Backfiring is unlikely on an fjr, and any decel popping due to aftermarket cans/exhaust can usually be mitigated by blocking off the PAIR system

I saw the following line and my BS detector went off.

Installed with a properly operating FI system the FI2000R can provide some increased power through tuning the air fuel mixture to provide maximum angular movement to the crankshaft at any given throttle opening.

Perfect stoichiometric ratio is about 14.7 to 1 by weight air to fuel. The best power ratio is about 13.5 to 1 air to fuel by weight. The most efficient (LBS fuel to horsepower hour) is about 15.5 to 1 air to fuel by weight. Fuel controllers do NOTHING but trick or fool your FI computer into changing the ratios from one to the other(often by just feeding the computer a fake ambient air temp reading). Often this gives your computer a serious schizophrenic complex.

The FJR's computer attempts to keep the ratio at stoich for pollution control. When you push the revs above 5000 the computer switches to the power ratio.

Since you have no place for the O2 sensor all I can say is putting it back the the rock solid stock rocket that all FJRs started out as means you need to have a fitting welded into the system.

IMHO these aftermarket fuel remap systems are nothing but trouble.