First 2013 "Mods" and First "Problems"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I see Premier Cycle has another option that will also work with our Givi Trunk. I like the looks of it a bit better than the Givi but I assume the Give Rack make for easy on and off of the trunk

where it looks like th Premier may be more "permanent"? Is that correct. What is the primary difference besides the looks and more $$? Also, is the Givi Rack plastic or metal?
Don't know about the other option (SW Motech maybe?). I would only use Givi. It's tubular steel, with heavy welds, and nicely heavy for this piece, as you'd want it to be. Comes with the plastic Monokey plate of course.

If it's this one you're referring to, it doesn't appear to have the bracing bars that go to the under seat bolts? I would never mount a top case to just the stock luggage rack.

https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7771&RetURL=search&search=bike&bikeType=&bikeMake=Yamaha&bikeModel=FJR1300&bikeYear=2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I see. Yes thats the one I was looking at but I see now it is just a plate on top of the existing supports. Will definately get the Givi. thanks,

So I see Premier Cycle has another option that will also work with our Givi Trunk. I like the looks of it a bit better than the Givi but I assume the Give Rack make for easy on and off of the trunk where it looks like th Premier may be more "permanent"? Is that correct. What is the primary difference besides the looks and more $$? Also, is the Givi Rack plastic or metal?
Don't know about the other option (SW Motech maybe?). I would only use Givi. It's tubular steel, with heavy welds, and nicely heavy for this piece, as you'd want it to be. Comes with the plastic Monokey plate of course.
If it's this one you're referring to, it doesn't appear to have the bracing bars that go to the under seat bolts? I would never mount a top case to just the stock luggage rack.

https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7771&RetURL=search&search=bike&bikeType=&bikeMake=Yamaha&bikeModel=FJR1300&bikeYear=2013
What he said. The Givi replaces the plastic grab rails with STEEL. Maybe not as pretty, but sure as hell more functional. The options that don't... don't bother.

But, what is the "wrap" mod?
It's a simple way to reduce the open lid angle (click on image for larger view):

From this . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . to this

The "How To" is posted here.

I'll be interested to hear how that Kisan headlight modulator works out for you. I put a different brand on mine and it's giving me fits. Having the flash-to-pass function integrated with the bright dim switch seems to confuse the hell out of it.

It would be highly appreciated if you could give us installation pics of the Kisan headlight modulator.
smile.png

I'll be interested to hear how that Kisan headlight modulator works out for you. I put a different brand on mine and it's giving me fits. Having the flash-to-pass function integrated with the bright dim switch seems to confuse the hell out of it.
Put it on tonight. The INSTALLATION gave me fits, but it's working like my FZ1 does and FZ6 did. As for the flash to pass, that's just a momentary bright switch. if the Kisan light sensor says it's bright enough outside, and it detects current to the brights, it WILL pulse the brights. That's what it's designed to do, and I'm sure it doesn't know there is a special switch for momentary bright on the bike.

The install was hard because of the cramp space behind the lights on the 2013. I was able to wiggle the bulb plugs out though, and after that the Kisan Pathblazer is just plug and play. Hardest part was deciding where to locate light sensor (I again went with right side handle bar, zip-tied to throttle cables), routing it, and zip tying it all over. I consider it a well done safety mod, because I know my eyes instantly grab pulsing lights in the rear view mirror or when scanning intersections, etc.

Pssst! Admore lighting kit for your E55.
What skooter says^^^

Lights up the trunk & back of the bike like you wouldn't believe. A little expensive, but a great addition nonetheless.

--G
Thanks. Heading over to Google to check it out shortly....

It would be highly appreciated if you could give us installation pics of the Kisan headlight modulator.
smile.png

Can possible take some pics of the finished job.
Here's some more details:

Product is the Kisan P115W-D. You can see it at www.kisantech.com.

It's a very straightforward plug and play except for lack of space to work. Basically:

Pull both bulb plugs out. Good luck. Spent a couple hours figuring this out from above and below while trying to get enough fingers on the plugs to wiggle out. Ended up reaching in from above to get thumb and index on plug on each side. Turned handlebars as necessary. Gently wiggled plugs up and down as I pulled back.

Kisan product goes between stock plug female and stock forward male ends on each side. This bike is symmetrical, so "slave" and "master" sides are interchangeable. Kisan light sensor has thin gauge 3-pin wire that clicks into receptacle on master side.

Plug assembly back in. Good luck. I did this from below with a lot of use from my Surefire L1 to light as I tried to find the 3 forward bike prongs to reinsert the assembly. Not hard. Just tedious. Used my mirror-on-a-stick a couple times to orient the assembly.

Again, doesn't matter whether Kisan "Master" and "Slave" unit go on left or right on this bike, as long as 3 pin wire for light sensor is plugged into "Master" unit, which is only place it can plug!

After zip tying, I hid the excess thin wire from each side and the thicker sensor wire by rolling up excess and zip tying in the gap under the center of the nose cone. Same place I've located the excess on my 2 FZ6s, FZ1 and ST1300 for this product.

I mounted my sensor in a basically upright position with a clear view of the sky on the right side handlebars by zip tying to the throttle wires.

At first in my well lit garage the unit didn't pulse the brights unless I shined my flashlight at the sensor. But since it's overcast and rainy it just wasn't light enough to comply with federal law before modulating. I roller her outside and the lights modulated as expected. On my FZ1 it's uncanny how accurate the sensor is. As soon as the sun goes behind the horizon at dusk, Bam, no more modulation, and no tickets for me!

Here are some pics:

Right side. You can't tell much. Kisan product is 1/4" disc between stock plug and front:

B3270A59-F816-4AAC-82AB-71ACE1BBC427-763-0000004D80071EC5.jpg

Another pic of right side. This one shows red wire which is sensor wire that plugs into "master" unit. I chose right side.

5317C30C-EB36-45D2-9B03-AF494FFE9503-763-0000004D8787BE9A.jpg

A couple of sensor mounting location (would be cleaner drilled and mounted flush but I don't drill brand new bikes....:cool::

84FA916F-4596-4036-B151-EAD7129A05CD-763-0000004D83EF6AA6.jpg

6D93738F-D186-49E2-8D5E-CC4AAE817906-763-0000004D8216586D.jpg

Shot of under center nose cone where I pulled in slack of wires from each side including sensor wire:

9DEF7708-5D3B-436F-AE2C-8864D9FB8827-763-0000004D85BF13B3.jpg

Like you I installed Kisan Technologies Tailblazer modulated brakelight bulbs on my 09. A real PIA because the wire harness designer at Yamaha is a dolt did not give enough wire to remove the bulbs. I finally got it installed - forgot how I did it - perseverance and swearing helped.

Put it on tonight. The INSTALLATION gave me fits, but it's working like my FZ1 does and FZ6 did. As for the flash to pass, that's just a momentary bright switch. if the Kisan light sensor says it's bright enough outside, and it detects current to the brights, it WILL pulse the brights. That's what it's designed to do, and I'm sure it doesn't know there is a special switch for momentary bright on the bike.

The install was hard because of the cramp space behind the lights on the 2013. I was able to wiggle the bulb plugs out though, and after that the Kisan Pathblazer is just plug and play. Hardest part was deciding where to locate light sensor (I again went with right side handle bar, zip-tied to throttle cables), routing it, and zip tying it all over. I consider it a well done safety mod, because I know my eyes instantly grab pulsing lights in the rear view mirror or when scanning intersections, etc.

Pssst! Admore lighting kit for your E55.
What skooter says^^^

Lights up the trunk & back of the bike like you wouldn't believe. A little expensive, but a great addition nonetheless.

--G
Thanks. Heading over to Google to check it out shortly....
https://admorelighting.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&subpage=15

Check out the video.

It's a simple way to reduce the open lid angle (click on image for larger view):

Apparently Psuedo is so busy disassembling his new bike he missed this tip. Thanks for reposting, I'll have to do this or use my head as Richard noted. You and he must be from different Shires, eh?

Thanks for reposting, I'll have to do this or use my head as Richard noted. You and he must be from different Shires, eh?
Here's where I really show my ignorance.

Don't know who Richard is, but did you mean Pseudo-Fred?

And, not just different Shires, different sides of The Pond
rolleyes.gif

No he was referring to me.........was Johns idea of funny........
rolleyes.gif

R
Ah, thank you, all is revealed.

Trouble is, I already know several Richards (not, I hasten to add, in the Biblical sense).

Oh, well, what's one more?

Apparently Psuedo is so busy disassembling his new bike he missed this tip. Thanks for reposting, I'll have to do this or use my head as Richard noted. You and he must be from different Shires, eh?
Thanks. Didn't miss the tip and I appreciate it. Haven't done it though. The problem I have is not the angle of the lid. The problem I have is little stuff (Like a Glock 19 in a Wilderness Pack) sliding out of left bag onto lid while bike is on the side stand. My solution when planning to unload is I put the bike on its center stand, which helps prevent the left side slide outs.....

... The problem I have is not the angle of the lid. The problem I have is little stuff (Like a Glock 19 in a Wilderness Pack) sliding out of left bag onto lid while bike is on the side stand. ...
Piece of non-slip mat that you can get for putting on trays?

... The problem I have is not the angle of the lid. The problem I have is little stuff (Like a Glock 19 in a Wilderness Pack) sliding out of left bag onto lid while bike is on the side stand. ...
Piece of non-slip mat that you can get for putting on trays?
Or put that stuff in the right bag...