First Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great stories here. Wish I could get a hold of some of these first bikes now.

First "real bike" (none lawnmower engine powered) was a '74 DT250, I was 13.

Poor bike took a lot of abuse from me. And then was rebuilt to be my first street bike.

My first bike, other than a mini-bike I had when I was 12 years old, was a Kawasaki H1 500 two stroke triple. I was shopping with my girlfriend for a used car. I wanted a convertible and I didn't have much money. Along the highway with a row of used car lots was a Kawasaki dealer. I went in thinking I would look at the 400cc 4-stroke that was their entry level machine that year. Next to it was the 500, and the 500 looked like a lot more machine for a little more money.

I put a small deposit down and went home to borrow the rest from Mom and Dad. Mom had always said that if I or my brothers ever came home with a motorcycle we would have to move out, so I expected it to be a hard sell. It turned out to be much easier than I expected and I had the cash the next day.

When I pulled out of he dealership, with just a permit, the salesman told me to take it down the side street a couple of times before heading out on the highway. I said OK, but I didn't do that. I rode that motorcycle through the summer and winter that year. The next year both of my brothers bought a leftover of the same bike. We had a lot of fun for a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend an H1 for a first bike. Not then, and not now. Man - those things were vicious....

My first bike bought used in '73. A ton of fun until a piston blew.

picture13.jpg

My dad had a purple Yamaha 100 2 stroke he bought my older brother. I got to ride it a little and learned on it in a field behind my house. When I got just old enough to really ride my dad and brother moved on to other interests and sold that bike and another. I was pissed--I was really the only one that wanted to ride. It looked like this (not my pic):

dfb858e638b7b2fc8c520248f317fe72.jpg

Later as a sophomore in HS I got a job farming and made enough money to buy this, MY first bike. I rode the hell out of it and loved that thing.

Also not my pic....

Kawasaki%20KDX175%2080.jpg

One of my first street bikes and I still have it but it needs a little work.
16387343_10155002723309628_3286505162283399462_n.jpg
My second bike was a 69 triumph 500, got it around 78 or so. Rode it mostly in the new mexico desert. I wasn't quite old enough to get my license yet. I kept that bike up until 2 years ago. It was parked under my neighbors deck for the past 20 years. We yarded it out one weekend and got it on the rack. The motor still turned over and had compression. Hooked up a battery and lo and behold, one cylinder had spark. A little attention to the points with a file and both had spark. Put gas to the carb and it just came pouring out. Kicking it over you could tell it wanted to start. Pulled the carb and cleaned it.

It fired on the second kick after sitting for more than 30 years!!! It was in really rough shape, but 90% there. I sold it as is for $1800. The next day I bought my Bandit 1200 for $1500. Good trade IMO.

I wouldn't recommend an H1 for a first bike. Not then, and not now. Man - those things were vicious....
They were crazy. I had an H2, 2 stroke, 750 triple. Insane is putting it mildly
Yes, those 2-strokes were exciting. The frame was flexible, the suspension was terrible, and they came with a center stand that made it easy to make sparks, but the good part was the peaky power curve of the engine. I would not enjoy riding one today, but as a young hooligan I liked it a lot.

They were crazy. I had an H2, 2 stroke, 750 triple. Insane is putting it mildly
Yes, those 2-strokes were exciting. The frame was flexible, the suspension was terrible, and they came with a center stand that made it easy to make sparks, but the good part was the peaky power curve of the engine. I would not enjoy riding one today, but as a young hooligan I liked it a lot.
The brakes were terrible, anyone following (if they could keep up) were almost choked out on blue exhaust . But damn, they were fast!

Aahh, kawi 2 stroke triples. Way more ponies than the rest of the bike could handle. kinda like the yz 465s. Flexi flyers. Make sure you have it pionted where you wanted to go, twist it, and hold on. Hopefully there wasn't a corner up ahead that you needed to make it through.

I rode various Honda 100/350/450 and Yamaha RD350 borrowed during my high school years and later, but the first bike I actually owned was a 1977 Suzuki T-500 Titan that I purchased new during college. The last Titans were built in 1976, and offered in the 1977 model year.

gt500_1.jpg
Finally sold it a year and a half later and stepped up to Yamaha's then-new touring steed. Lots of fun memories...

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my first street bikes and I still have it but it needs a little work. 1965 Norton Atlas 650.

16387343_10155002723309628_3286505162283399462_n.jpg
Saw that one in person, that's his personal saddle form his day's living and working his fathers ranch. He shared a rather personal side to his life with Jimmy and myself on the way to Spearfish for John's get together.

To say our friend DB is as weathered as this old Norton would be an understatement. It's great to have such a friend!

One of my first street bikes and I still have it but it needs a little work. 1965 Norton Atlas 650.

[img=[URL="https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16387343_10155002723309628_3286505162283399462_n.jpg?oh=1e276631f1a609dbacef61ce44824b8e&oe=5910B163%5D"]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16387343_10155002723309628_3286505162283399462_n.jpg?oh=1e276631f1a609dbacef61ce44824b8e&oe=5910B163][/URL]
Ahem..You know there's this guy in La Pine and it's not that far.

My first dirt bike was a '79 YZ250. I actually bought that after my first (or second) street bike.

That thing was totally insane. As wetwolf accurately writes, one didn't ride that bike. He aimed it and hoped for the best.

If I tried to ride it in even a remotely reasonable manner, it would foul the plug in 10 minutes. I'd leave the trailer for the single track in the woods with about 3 spare plugs. When I got down to the last plug, everyone knew to get the hell out of my way.

My first bike was a '78 Yamaha XS 750 Special. Shaft drive has come a LONG way since then!

The bike in my avatar is a '69 Honda CL 350 Scrambler that I bought and fixed up a couple of years ago. Fun little bike. :)