First Long Ride - looking for tips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Flack

Reaction score
So I think I may head out of the seattle area tomorrow/Friday and head down to the San Francisco area to visit a cousin. I'd like to ride my fjr, but haven't ever rode a long distance. I'm looking for some tips since I've never gone on a long multi-day trip.

Archive of Wisdom is a good resource....most applicable to those riding longer distances for longer periods of time. Probably too late to install a Vista throttle lock for your trip though....think hydration while you're riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring some kind of pain reliever, because your jaw will hurt from smiling all day!

Seriously, this bike is easy to ride on these kind of trips. Dress in layers, unless you have heat, and make sure you get the kickstand down good when you stop.

AAA doesn't cover your bike unless you paid extra for it!

Call your gas card company, so they don't freeze your account when they see a string of charges over distance!

Dress warm, and in layers. Drink plenty of water and bring healthy snacks. Don't eat big heavy meals. Start with a positive mental attitude and think happy thoughts. Always wear clean underwear, don't talk to strangers, and don't take wooden nickels.....

Have a great ride and enjoy the bike!

If you have the time, get out to 101 and follow it down the coast. It's slower going but a lot nicer than the slab. Take lots of pictures so we can see how much fun you had. For the bike it's not a long ride so pace yourself and enjoy.

If you have the time, get out to 101 and follow it down the coast. It's slower going but a lot nicer than the slab. Take lots of pictures so we can see how much fun you had. For the bike it's not a long ride so pace yourself and enjoy.
I was thinking of i-5 to grant's pass and then 199 over to 101 and down that way. Have you run that way before?

I was thinking of i-5 to grant's pass and then 199 over to 101 and down that way. Have you run that way before?
199 is good once you get out of the city. You could head south at cave junction and go down to Happy Camp. From there to willow creek and then to Arcata. The lost coast is fun but rough and slow. Head for the coast at Legget and on to Fort Bragg. Or from Willow Creek take 299 to 36 and then to the coast at Fortuna. There are lots of choices in that part of the world. If you go to WFO you can ride what you don't get on this trip.

tips?

the wide version Cramp Buster, ~$13, slips over the throttle grip and helps w/ long periods of throttle. Bigger bike shops might carry it in stock. [SIZE=8pt]wide version is my preference[/SIZE]

camera deserves to be in a tank bag pocket, where you can get it and snap shoot w/o even getting off the bike.

enjoy, maybe post up a short trip report.

Thanks for all the tips, but my trip fell through. I'm quite bummed, but maybe I can replan later in the year.
To bad Jack Flack. Longer rides are great on the FJR or any bike for that matter. My suggestion is to keep all of your motorcycle stuff in one area. Have several short and long distance destinations you would like to see in the back of your head. Don't look at a longer ride as a big deal. As long as your bike has had good maintenance and you are in good health its not a big deal. Some of my best rides have happened when I wake up early on a day off and decide I want to go an a two or three day ride. I throw my camping gear on the bike, look at my map (I like maps) and just ride. I let the road take me where it does and have a great time. I have found this often works best for me because it seems like if I try to plan a ride something always comes up and I don't go. ie: bad weather, family obligations, work, etc. Once you have gotten a few of these extemporaneous rides under your belt you will find an excuse to insert a motorcycle into many of your trips.

Just my 0.02 cents :)

Thanks for all the tips, but my trip fell through. I'm quite bummed, but maybe I can replan later in the year.
I throw my camping gear on the bike, look at my map (I like maps) and just ride.

I'll just ask...

... what's a map...?

:lol:

...and Jack! Hook up with us for a ride sometime locally!

Heck, we are even headed to Maple Valley on Sunday for that tech meet up, so swing by if you can. Instructions on location can be easily shared. :)

And if you want to see what seat beads are like on the stock FJR seat, let me know. ;) I have some you can try out on a ride sometime. ;)

I throw my camping gear on the bike, look at my map (I like maps) and just ride.

I'll just ask...

... what's a map...?

:lol:
You know, I often find people lost at work because they followed their GPS. One example is when they try to get over one of the passes that is closed for the winter. They can't believe that the GPS told them to take a road that is closed for the winter. When I tell them they have to go a different way they can't figure out what to do. If they had a map they could read that it says the road is closed for the winter. The worst groups are the ones with Mapquest or Google Map directions that don't pan out. They usually don't have a map or a GPS. They really lose it. Some of them will just pull over on the side of the road and try to dial 911 for help. When they realize the cell phone does not work in the mountains they are screwed.