First ride on my VTX 1800 Since I got my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to sell my Sportster when I bought the FJR, but now have thought better of it. I like the FJR for long distance, but still prefer the Sportster for quick hops around town and for local errands, etc. Most importantly, my wife doesn't like to ride on the FJR. Fortunately, I can keep both the Sporty and the FJR.
OK, I'll take the bait. Why doesn't your wife like riding on the FJR (as compared to a Sportster)?

Not enough vibration? :blink: :rolleyes: :blink:

I was going to sell my Sportster when I bought the FJR, but now have thought better of it. I like the FJR for long distance, but still prefer the Sportster for quick hops around town and for local errands, etc. Most importantly, my wife doesn't like to ride on the FJR. Fortunately, I can keep both the Sporty and the FJR.
OK, I'll take the bait. Why doesn't your wife like riding on the FJR (as compared to a Sportster)?

Not enough vibration?
Very cute. Actually, the rubber-mount Sportsters don't have near the vibration of the older ones, and with Progressive shocks and fork springs, the ride is quite good. As to my wife's actual preferences, she just feels more secure on the Sportster (seat/peg relationship), it's easier for her to get on and off the bike, and she doesn't like sitting up as high as she does on the FJR. Actually, I don't care if she likes the FJR or not (and neither should anyone else), as long as she enjoys riding with me on one of the bikes. Truth be told, she prefers a Wing or an ElectraGlide, but I don't need a 900+ pound bike anymore.

Not enough vibration?
Very cute. Actually, the rubber-mount Sportsters don't have near the vibration of the older ones, and with Progressive shocks and fork springs, the ride is quite good. As to my wife's actual preferences, she just feels more secure on the Sportster (seat/peg relationship), it's easier for her to get on and off the bike, and she doesn't like sitting up as high as she does on the FJR. Actually, I don't care if she likes the FJR or not (and neither should anyone else), as long as she enjoys riding with me on one of the bikes. Truth be told, she prefers a Wing or an ElectraGlide, but I don't need a 900+ pound bike anymore.
Yeah, you're right, it was a cheap shot. But it was just so easy... :rolleyes:

Your answer was more along the lines of what I expected. But, don't you think that the main reason it feels better is because of the added security of having the back rest like you have on that HD?

You're probably eventually going to want a trunk. If you get one with a padded back rest for her built in, it will go a long way toward making it feel more secure and more comfy for the missus. At least mine likes it a lot!!

Otherwise there are a few nice backrests that can be found for the rear passenger. Having the option to ride two-up on longer rides is a pretty big thing to me, and I'd assume it would matter some to you. That is unless you don't plan on ever doing any long distances, or will be doing a bunch of touring on the V twin?

Your answer was more along the lines of what I expected. But, don't you think that the main reason it feels better is because of the added security of having the back rest like you have on that HD?
You're probably eventually going to want a trunk. If you get one with a padded back rest for her built in, it will go a long way toward making it feel more secure and more comfy for the missus. At least mine likes it a lot!!

Otherwise there are a few nice backrests that can be found for the rear passenger. Having the option to ride two-up on longer rides is a pretty big thing to me, and I'd assume it would matter some to you. That is unless you don't plan on ever doing any long distances, or will be doing a bunch of touring on the V twin?
Actually, one of the first things I bought for the bike was a PCA backrest (very nice piece and easy on/easy off with just 3 bolts). Didn't do the trick. Now I use it to prop my travel bag against when I take off solo on an overnighter. For any long distance we do together, we take one of the cars (and our helmets and riding gear). If we get the urge to ride at the destination, we just rent something for a couple of days. Works for us.

I've owned 3 Harley in the past and really like them. Due to several lower back surgerie's I can no longer ride a cruiser (even at that I've always found the sport/touring bikes more comfortable). Several of my friends ride cruisers (Harley's and Vulcans) and I sometimes swap out with them.....I really don't like them anymore (not a knock to anyone who has one). After riding sport/touring bikes the crusiers feel like trucks.

Gary

Not enough vibration?
Yeah, you're right, it was a cheap shot. But it was just so easy... :rolleyes:

For the wife nothing beats a Goldwing...I've owned 29 bikes and 40 years of riding and the Wing was the only bike my wife really liked riding (I do to...its a BIG sportbike). Sh decided she didn't want to ride anymore so I went back to a sport/touring bike.

Gary

Man 200cs, you must be in a warm climate to ride in January. I'm sitting here while it is snowing AGAIN! Another 4-6 inches expected here in Iowa. The only good thing is that I just got back from the dealer here. Put my down payment on one of two 08 FJR that they have in stock. They threw in a service manual as well, and did a 20% discount on topbox, mount, and backrest pad. They will hold the one that is in the back and will never see the showroom floor. Now all I have to do is WAIT for this lousy winter to go away.

I wish I could keep my 02 VTX 1800 around as well, but contraints on space, other hobbys,(boating) and the wifeys influence dictate otherwise. But I got such a good trade in price from the dealer site unseen, I couldn't hardley turn it down.

COME ON SPRING!!

Well, if my wife insisted on a Goldwang I guess I'd have to make the trade.

...for a new wife that is.

Pschaa!! I'm old... but I'm not dead yet.

as long as i live where i do (the flat coast lands) and my wife loves to ride with me - i'll never get rid of my road king. however, i plan to get an FJR (or other ST) soon. i've owned cruisers and STs and while the new bike will alwyas get all the attention (for a while), neither one of them can replace the other. i.e., after time, the FJR will get boring too.
I agree, but My VTX will never loose all that wieght or handle worth a hoot, so IF I am riding just for the ride, It will be the FJR, if I am riding to impress my HD friends, I will ride the VTX.

I saw on the VTX site another VtX owner test road an FJR this weekend, and couldn't stop bragging on it.

My friend Joey ( who rode my FJR Saturday ) emailed me latter saying when he got on his VTX to go home he Really thought something was wrong with his Bike, He said it took a moment for him to realize that this is just how his bike has always ridding.

Well I have had my FJR for a few weeks now, and I haven't ridden my VTX 1800 Since.So today I decided that I would take the X out for a spin. I invited my friend Joey along.

He has been wanting to ride my FJR, so I said Since I am going to ride the VTX, He could ride My FJR.

He also Rides a VTX.

I remember the X as being a Joy to ride, Smooth, powerful ( 40hp Nitrous shot :yahoo: ) and comfortable.

But after only a few hundered miles on the FJR, I found my X to ride like a Log wagon , handle like a tank, and other than the 145 ft lbs of torque with the NOS engaged ,Boaring.

I road it for about 70 miles and was glag to get home.

Joey loved the FJR other than the windshield not being tall enough for him ( 6' 2" )

And we both ageed that I will not put many miles on the X anymore. ( I have ridden VTX's for the past 40,000 miles, ) looks like the next 40k will be on the FJR.

Thanks for talking me into to buying it Guys.

I love it! :heart:
Eric

I see you are from NC, just wondering if you bought the VTX in Charlotte? Reason is my Brother-in-law sold his, and has a Sneaky Pete NOS on it.

I rode a friends VTX1800 once. He took my (then) Bandit 1200 and I rode the chopper. Five miles (3 on the highway) one way to lunch and back. It was supposed to be a round-trip swap but he rode the VTX back. With the windblast on the hwy I couldn't let either hand come off the grips 'cause I was hanging on for dear life, my ass felt like someone had worked it with a jackhammer and a crowbar, had the finesse and balance of a 20 pound sledge hammer poised on a basketball using the tip of it's handle, and I think it used half a tank to gas to go that 10 miles. Not knocking someone else's preference but I HATED that bike and could not understand how anyone could ride it for more than an hour.

That was the one and only cruiser I've ever ridden and I'm smart enough not to damn them all for that one bad ride. I would LOVE to try a Sportster. If I were to buy a Hardley, I'd get one just like JohnT's show above. Seems like a nice ride, it's got real "Harley" mojo, and sounds nice with the stock mufflers. Like JohnT, I'd only use it on occasion for local hops for a change of pace. It would be a toy for play-time and the FeeJR would be the tool I'd use to bring home the bacon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 05' 1800N. Everytime I got on it after having the FJR it just seemed sloppy in every area from braking, throttle input and I always knew it was a tank. What made me eventually get rid of it was the ground clearance in the twistys-grinding in every corner. She was beautiful and sure did love the open highway.
album16391.jpg
Well there's yer problem. No front wheel. :eek: