First Spark Plug Change, 2nd Tbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the plugs for first time tonight at 6800 miles. First thing I notice is they're not very tight at all. MAYBE 10-in lbs to break loose. Sound familiar to anyone? Plugs didn't look to bad but put fresh NGKs in anyway. wasn't going through that again soon to save the cost of plugs.

Also checked TBS adjustment. I adjusted #2 and #4 just a few mm. No biggie.

Should be OK for another 10K miles right?

Tip: the spark plug socket I have doesn't have a gasket thingy to hold the plug. Used a 6" piece of 3/8" fuel hose to retreive plug after loosening. Slick.

FJReady

Changed the plugs for first time tonight at 6800 miles. First thing I notice is they're not very tight at all. MAYBE 10-in lbs to break loose. Sound familiar to anyone?
Should be OK for another 10K miles right?
I think the plug torque spec is 9.4 ft/lbs so you are correct at around 10. My stock plugs looked perfect at 8k but like you I chaged them also. I put in NGK iridiums.

The owners manual calls for TB sync every 4000 miles so that is what I do.

I've often found plugs almost finger tight when changing them. I think what happens is that I'm overly timid in tightening them and don't get the crush washers completely compressed. If the crush washers aren't fully compressed, then heat, vibration, and time finishes the compression, but in the process, leaves the plugs way loose.

I used to do it by feel, but I'm using a torque wrench now and the plugs seem to come out about the same as they went in.

- Mark

Hello,

:clap:

I'm rapidly approaching my 4000 miles, where can I find a tbs tool??

What else should I do?

I have noticed alot of rear tire splatter, I cleaned it off and it has returned. Any suggestions on what I should do look for, fluild is fine even though it looks like the rear bolts are leakers?

Thx only 100 miles away so fast tip on the tb thingy would be appreciated.

Thx MIke

That would be the correct tool. You won't need the adapters, just connect the hoses directly to the Throttlebodies.

I just finished my 8k service and found my plugs to be much looser than expected. I changed them at 4k and torqued to the 9 ft-lb spec. I checked them at the 8k and reverted to my calibrated wrist torque level. Scares me to have them that loose.

Adjusted 1 and 4 slightly and it feels noticeable smoother even though they were off by less than one segment on the gauge.

Others that have reported rear wheel spatter have ended up with a leaking seal as the cause. Let your dealer know, it should be fixed under warranty.

Anyone know if it's possible to buy plug crush washers on their own?

I haven't checked whether the sump washers are the same size

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Hello,:clap:

I'm rapidly approaching my 4000 miles, where can I find a tbs tool??

What else should I do?

I have noticed alot of rear tire splatter, I cleaned it off and it has returned. Any suggestions on what I should do look for, fluild is fine even though it looks like the rear bolts are leakers?

Thx only 100 miles away so fast tip on the tb thingy would be appreciated.

Thx MIke
I use the Motion Pro Carb Tune. No adaptors are needed as the vacuum hoses are the same size as the throttle body nipples.

https://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools.html

Last edited by a moderator: