FJ-09 replaced by Tracer 900 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
Looking at the Yamaha website.

No 2018 FJ-09 but shows a 2019 Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT.

Looks like same engine with new frame, bodywork and instrumentation.

Maybe a good year to get a deal on a FJ-09.

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/11/yamaha-replaces-fj-09-with-2019-tracer-900-and-tracer-900-gt/

Here is an exerpt from the press release from Yamaha:Cypress, CA – November 6, 2017 – The versatile Tracer 900 Sport Touring motorcycle was introduced today by Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, and it is set to replace the company’s existing FJ-09 model for 2019. Featuring a number of updates and refinements, the new Tracer 900 will continue to offer performance, versatility and value. Adding to the lineup, Yamaha also unveiled a premium-packaged Tracer 900 GT, which includes color-matched hard side cases, a quick shift system (QSS), cruise control, heated grips and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like maybe there is no touring triple for 2018 in the plan. I have a feeling they aren't too popular around here anyways - from what i've seen there's pretty good demand for the FZ09 but don't think I've seen more than a few of the FJ's.

If you could get the GT without the ugly anodized fork tubes, I'd be VERY interested

the cruise control and heated grips on the GT model would make it the way to go imo

The electronics and suspension refinements are significant, but 22 liter side cases is pitiful.

The electronics and suspension refinements are significant, but 22 liter side cases is pitiful.
I'm a girl and I can live with that. The more room one has, the more one tends to pack too much.

Now, if they could make an expandable hardcase like BMW? That would be cool

Barb - that's impressive, respectfully considering you are a girl.

(I've been a member of the "til death do us part" club for 30 years, I think I've got a pretty good idea what you meant.)

For trips 4 days or longer, I pack 4 changes of clothes (t-shirt, undies, socks), 1 pair of zip offs for bottoms, a pair of walking shoes, and toiletries. If my trip is longer, I wash clothes. Inevitably, wherever I'm going, the temp range will be from 35 - 100 deg F. (that happened at YFO). So add riding gear layers and at least 2 pairs of gloves.

That packs my 31 liter side cases pretty tight. The kitchen goes in the top box. Camping gear in the pillion duff. A 30% reduction in side case capacity is going to be dam near impossible.

This bike will compete with the Versys 1000LT. It's riding position is ergonomically a little more forward than the Kawi. But for touring, other than the cruise control... no comparison IMO. If I find myself at a demo ride event, I'll try it just cause I'm curious.

Am I the only one that wishes Yamaha (and other bike manufacturers) would actually ask seasoned riders what they want? Maybe they do, but if so, I don't think they listen much....

Didn't see cruise control, but did see chain drive.

Alas. Perhaps it's not too late ... ?

<edit> I suppose shaft drive requires a larger engine than 900 cc .... although my ancient Yamaha 750 Special had an incredibly smooth shaft drive.

Barb - that's impressive, respectfully considering you are a girl.
(I've been a member of the "til death do us part" club for 30 years, I think I've got a pretty good idea what you meant.)

For trips 4 days or longer, I pack 4 changes of clothes (t-shirt, undies, socks), 1 pair of zip offs for bottoms, a pair of walking shoes, and toiletries. If my trip is longer, I wash clothes. Inevitably, wherever I'm going, the temp range will be from 35 - 100 deg F. (that happened at YFO). So add riding gear layers and at least 2 pairs of gloves.

That packs my 31 liter side cases pretty tight. The kitchen goes in the top box. Camping gear in the pillion duff. A 30% reduction in side case capacity is going to be dam near impossible.

This bike will compete with the Versys 1000LT. It's riding position is ergonomically a little more forward than the Kawi. But for touring, other than the cruise control... no comparison IMO. If I find myself at a demo ride event, I'll try it just cause I'm curious.

Am I the only one that wishes Yamaha (and other bike manufacturers) would actually ask seasoned riders what they want? Maybe they do, but if so, I don't think they listen much....
I ride in gear, so a couple changes of anything is plenty, plus a bathing suit (seasonally dependent). as I think at my age I can do laundry.

I have 1 side case for clothes, the other is for tools, street shoes, hat, sunscreen and rain gear. I do not have a pillion. He rides his own, so topcase is for the overflow crapola, and things like a camera that I want at an easy grab. OR, if I know it WILL rain, the rg shifts to top and center. Most 5-10 day rides I don't bother with a topcase or tank bag. BUT, I also have a waterproof bag to strap to the pillion seat if I want to go crazy and say, bring a dress? eek!

Camping? WTflyingF? I paid my dues when my kids were little. Roughing it now is 3 stars, not 4plus!

Didn't see cruise control, but did see chain drive.
Alas. Perhaps it's not too late ... ?

<edit> I suppose shaft drive requires a larger engine than 900 cc .... although my ancient Yamaha 750 Special had an incredibly smooth shaft drive.
Was it Yamaha or Honda back in the day that had a 400cc shaft drive? I too dislike the chain clean thing....PITA

PS. As a previous pillion turned rider, not sure I'd be in a big hurry to be on the back of something smaller and more buzzy than an FJR.

Had little enough boob room sitting on the back then....ack

barb posted: PS. As a previous pillion turned rider, not sure I'd be in a big hurry to be on the back of something smaller and more buzzy than an FJR.
Had little enough boob room sitting on the back then....ack
Although I am a really big fan of boobs in my back, hubba, hubba, I wouldn't be two up on a 900cc machine.

Wait a second...The less boob room, the better. Love those things pressed up against my back. Shit...was this a motorcycle thread, cuz someone mentioned boobies, and now I'm all confused!

Oh, and learn to pack better 'Pants. Losing the shampoo bottle would be a good first step.

HAHAHA

Barb needs to give my wife lessons. Not with the boob thing, just packing. If my wife ever gets to the point where she no longer can ride I could entertain one of these bikes.

None of us are getting any younger you know.

Dave

I may need some packing refinements, but let me assure you, the shampoo bottles are still making the ride.

All kidding aside, the more I do this, the less I take. None the less, I need every cc of my 31L side cases.

Come to think about it, whenever my wife rides with me, I find that I am far less smooth in my riding. Lots of on and off the throttle for no apparent reason. Hmmmm......

I think FJReady has the 900cc ST thing all figured out already: You just keep the FJR for your 2-up or Ultra LD trips, and get the 900cc ST for shorter / solo rides.

@Barb, you could always just paint over those bright fork legs, right?

I'd still like to see a worthy ADV / Touring bike with that 3 cylinder engine. It would give the Triumph Tiger 800 and the BMWF800GS some competition. Having owned both BMWs and Triumphs in the past, I've really come to appreciate the Asian bike reliability. I don't mind doing chain maintenance as long as the rest of the bike holds together.

With the changes being made to the upcoming Tracer 900GT, I have a feeling Yamaha listened or read what people wanted to see in their FJ-09 and it will finally be available.

The GT with hard bags, cruise, heated grips, supposedly an updated suspension, and a larger windscreen was what they should have had from the start.

Will be interesting to see what they have for a selling price compared to the FJR.