FJR 1300A with inverted fork

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-author="RadioHowie"Geezus, just shoot me. I agree with 'zilla!
Don't give Don any ideas Howie...He's already trying to get 'someone' to double up on the 'roids when it's time for your kick to the apple sack.

Right...And that's good stuff for a race bike, but does it matter on a nearly 700 lb ST bike? It doesn't reduce overall weight, and might help some with fork function, but factory springs are gonna be to light and need upgrading anyway.
So...For this application, there is NO advantage to USD forks. Just a perceived cool factor that likens to adding chrome pipes for bling.
The only advantages with USD forks are a smoother ride and better handling....and longer fork bushing, seal, and oil life.

Right...And that's good stuff for a race bike, but does it matter on a nearly 700 lb ST bike? It doesn't reduce overall weight, and might help some with fork function, but factory springs are gonna be to light and need upgrading anyway.
So...For this application, there is NO advantage to USD forks. Just a perceived cool factor that likens to adding chrome pipes for bling.
The only advantages with USD forks are a smoother ride and better handling....and longer fork bushing, seal, and oil life.
Thanks for injecting some common sense.

Right...And that's good stuff for a race bike, but does it matter on a nearly 700 lb ST bike? It doesn't reduce overall weight, and might help some with fork function, but factory springs are gonna be to light and need upgrading anyway.So...For this application, there is NO advantage to USD forks. Just a perceived cool factor that likens to adding chrome pipes for bling.
You mean just like when a person upgrades their suspension? Don't think that if all FJRs came with USD forks and electronic suspension, people wouldn't upgrade it. Yamahas are notoriously under-sprung, so that would just mean more out of pocket to pay for inadequate electronic suspension up front, and then for the upgrade after the fact.

Why is it so hard for people to separate "race" needs from real world needs?

BMW is famous for their ESA on their bikes. All the guys I know who rose their GS-As hard dislike it because it allows the bike to bottom out. Know how they fix that? Either order it without ESA or remove the electronic bits and upgrade their suspension.

You mean just like when a person upgrades their suspension? Don't think that if all FJRs came with USD forks and electronic suspension, people wouldn't upgrade it. Yamahas are notoriously under-sprung, so that would just mean more out of pocket to pay for inadequate electronic suspension up front, and then for the upgrade after the fact.

Why is it so hard for people to separate "race" needs from real world needs?

BMW is famous for their ESA on their bikes. All the guys I know who rose their GS-As hard dislike it because it allows the bike to bottom out. Know how they fix that? Either order it without ESA or remove the electronic bits and upgrade their suspension.
You seem to be assuming that future FJR's with USD forks will only be offered with electronic suspensions. If that happens, they are going to have to be a lot better than the BMW's current ESA systems for me to buy one. I prefer to avoid the electronic suspensions and use the $$$ for premium aftermarket upgrades.

As for being able to separate "race" needs from real world needs.......about 98 percent of my riding is at a 6/10s pace or slower and last year 80 percent of my riding was on the bike in my garage with USD forks simply because it gives a smoother more comfortable ride. I really wanted to upgrade my FJR (which has upgraded suspension on both ends) to a 2013 model but I am going to wait for Yamaha to get its act together and offer an FJR with standard USD forks. Yes, even that will probably have to be upgraded since Yamaha seems to be stuck on light springs and cheap damping pistons but it will be worth it.

Kebo,

Spoke to a Yamaha rep at the NEC bike show . Sorry to disappoint you but the USD forks and electronic suspension is not going to be an option on standard Euro bike for 2013. He didn't rule it out as something Yamaha may introduce as future model development though.

Like I said, it depends how you ride the bike. If you ride hard in the canyons it WILL make a difference.

It's not going to make it handle like a "race bike" obviously, but it'll help if you ride hard.

Kind of like putting aftermarket expensive OHLINS shocks on a bike, if you ride hard in the canyons it benefits you more than if you just commute to work on your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only advantages with USD forks are a smoother ride and BETTER HANDELING....and longer fork bushing, seal, and oil life.
Emphasis on handeling.

Kebo,Spoke to a Yamaha rep at the NEC bike show . Sorry to disappoint you but the USD forks and electronic suspension is not going to be an option on standard Euro bike for 2013. He didn't rule it out as something Yamaha may introduce as future model development though.
Yup - that answer I have got too from Yama dealer.

Anybody able to answer to my question? Which one select for 13 model?:

Front fork springsShock absorberI do not have any experience with upgrated suspension so any advice I will really appreciate. Thanks!

Kebo,Spoke to a Yamaha rep at the NEC bike show . Sorry to disappoint you but the USD forks and electronic suspension is not going to be an option on standard Euro bike for 2013. He didn't rule it out as something Yamaha may introduce as future model development though.
Future model development? So maybe in 7 years or so.

They can't even seem to figure out offering multiple colors.

Front fork springsShock absorberI do not have any experience with upgrated suspension so any advice I will really appreciate. Thanks!
Check my post here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151032-2013-front-springs-replacement/

Front springs for 2012 can be used , but require some small modification to the spacer tubes.

Rear shocks can be used on a '13, no problem.

I have the YA 053.

This suits me fine, since I mostly ride solo, and have no real need to change the settings of the shock now that it has been set for my weight and riding style. If you ride more often with passenger or luggage, you may want to consider another type with external reservoir and hydraulic adjustment...

Future model development? So maybe in 7 years or so.

They can't even seem to figure out offering multiple colors.
Sure they can! They do it in most parts of the world.

minus 1: I respectfully disagree. Better handling is better handling at 400 pounds, and at 700 pounds.

minus 1: I respectfully disagree. Better handling is better handling at 400 pounds, and at 700 pounds.
In my best Ed McMahon voice "You are correct Sir!!"
grin.gif

Check my post here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151032-2013-front-springs-replacement/

Front springs for 2012 can be used , but require some small modification to the spacer tubes.

Rear shocks can be used on a '13, no problem.

I have the YA 053.

This suits me fine, since I mostly ride solo, and have no real need to change the settings of the shock now that it has been set for my weight and riding style. If you ride more often with passenger or luggage, you may want to consider another type with external reservoir and hydraulic adjustment...
That's great post - thanks.

Just curious, do we have any Euro folks that have picked up an AS yet?
Won't be available in the UK until end of April is what my dealer told me.
Won't be getting one then, we've just bought my wife a new car (you know, "a happy wife means a happy life"), and my part-time earnings are getting a bit rare.

Gotcha, I was wondering why we didn't seem to have any reviews of them yet so that makes sense.