FJR Acting Up 'sup Wit Dat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over flow and vent. The vent line has a valve in it near the bottom of the bike.

Alan

(Open the filler flap and be sure the round orange doohickey is seated properly or the tank won't vent.)

Watch your gages next time the hesitation kicks in. If they're going all wonky (or out), one of your battery leads has vibrated loose.

So many people with great ideas - I like this - thanks to all of you. I did check the gauges, and they are always fine while it is happening - and it seems to be going away. I will learn how to do the filler neck cleaning and add that to my service schedule. The vent line seemed clear on blow-out - so I am going to have to assume it was being pinched and the higher octane were causing the trouble - a little more to do though, I am not totally convinced it is gone - will find out next week though. Off to White Mountians and Green mountains for a few very long and fun, twisty days - I am going to get as much done as I can and then go for it - no reason to stay close to home - might as well be hundreds of miles away if something is going to happen - WTF - why not :rolleyes: ? Ride ride ride...

Thanks all -

Allen

I may be way off for your problem but something else to check is the hoses running out the bottom of your bike. They are from your air filter, rad and fuel tank. They have a 45 degree cut on them and if the cut faces forward it may be possible to have debris pushed up the hose (some people reposition and ensure the cutout faces backwards, some people shorten them a bit).

Just a thought.

Also check the bracket underneath the shock that holds the hoses. It may have been bent from driving over a parking lot bump and pinching the hoses.

Over flow and vent. The vent line has a valve in it near the bottom of the bike.
Alan

(Open the filler flap and be sure the round orange doohickey is seated properly or the tank won't vent.)

Almost three years after Alan's post, the "round orange doohickey" got me,,,, I think. My 2007 1300 AE is only 6 weeks old. Needed gas for a trip to Corbin/Hollister for a new seat but the fuel tank cap wouldn't open. The key turned properly clockwise but I couldn't pull-up the cap beyond a 1/4" of movement???

Brought the bike to the Yamaha dealer. Here's their "resolution" report on the service invoice:

"Found tank had vacuum lock causing tank to stick closed. Tech managed to loosen cap enough to release some pressure for cap to open. Found tank vent grommet dislodged causing vacuum lock. Reinstalled gromet properly and re-installed fuel cap assembly. Most likely the grommet was dislodged while filling with fuel."

I've read about vacuum lock issues but I believe this occurs when the "lock" occurs in a fuel line downstream of the fuel tank. In this situation, the fuel cap had some up/down movement and a tank under vacuum (above the fuel level) would hold the cap to the fuel tank body as if it were glued.

So, the fuel tank cap opens and it's time to rebook Corbin. I don't know if the problem was a vacuum lock, a "round orange doohickey", or a defective latch, but, at the least, I've posted this gremlin for others to be aware of.

70bsalightning, in the past, dislodged doohickeys have actually caused some gas tanks to implode. The whole bottom of the gas tank would buckle up. Here is one thread that discusses the problem >>CLICKY<< The first post sounds a lot like your problem, you may want to inspect the bottom of your tank.

I work in a technical field where it saves a lot of confusion by using exact scientific names for the items and materials we use ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
70bsalightning, in the past, dislodged doohickeys have actually caused some gas tanks to implode. The whole bottom of the gas tank would buckle up. Here is one thread that discusses the problem >>CLICKY<< The first post sounds a lot like your problem, you may want to inspect the bottom of your tank.
I work in a technical field where it saves a lot of confusion by using exact scientific names for the items and materials we use ;)
Ionbeam, thanks for the pointer, good advice.

I used "doohickey" in a tongue-in-cheek deference to Alan's original post as the Yamaha dealer had educated me to the proper name of grommet.

Born and raised in Boston though the SF Bay Area has been home for decades. Enjoy the improving Northeast weather.