FJR - BMW Sport Touring Shootout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
I rode a BMW R1100RS for nearly 12 years. It was a fun and competent sport tourer. Then it broke one too many times and I decided to replace it with an FJR. I've only taken the FJR on one long ride, but that ride covered a wide variety of roads and enabled me to evaluate the bike fairly.

1. Engine. No question about it, the FJR completely blows away the BMW. You don’t need to look at any horsepower specs, you just need to sit on the bike and twist the throttle. It’s amazingly smooth, responsive, and powerful. The FJR is a well-mannered rocketship. In fairness, it's not really comparing apples to apples. One is an 1100cc boxer motor and the other is a 1300cc transverse 4. If it weren't faster there would be a problem. But man, that motor is a blast to ride!

What about engine heat? On this 05, which has not been modified in any way to mitigate any heat problems, I did feel some warmth on my lower legs. I can't say it was horrible, but it was there. Maybe after spending all day in Death Vally I might think differently, but for now it's livable.

2. Transmission. The BMW’s trans has always been clunky, hard to shift, and with wide-spaced gear ratios that make the transitions between gears awkward. The FJR shifts smoothly and the gears are closely spaced.

3. Brakes. Both bikes have excellent brakes. I’d say the FJR has a slight advantage when you first apply the brakes. They come on more smoothly with less “grab” than the BMW.

4. Handling. This is one area where the BMW is better. They both have excellent suspensions due to the aftermarket upgrades on both bikes. However the FJR has a tendency to stand up when braking in corners. The BMW’s paralever system eliminates that behavior. They both steer well and remain stable at high speeds.

5. Touring Amenities: Both bikes have factory saddlebags, but only the FJR’s saddlebags are large enough to fit a helmet. Both bikes have an adjustable windshield, but only the FJR’s is electric, and can be easily adjusted while riding. The FJR has a glove box, not the BMW. Advantage Yamaha.

6. Oil sight glass. The BMW has a far superior sight glass. It is easily visible while standing next to the bike. It has a convenient oil level mark on the glass. The FJR, on the other hand, has no such markings on the glass. Also it can only be viewed from close range while kneeling on the ground.

In summary, the FJR is much better in many ways, and it’s a hoot to ride. But the oil sight glass is so horrible I cannot recommend the FJR for purchase. Keep on buying those BMWs, folks.

In summary, the FJR is much better in many ways, and it’s a hoot to ride. But the oil sight glass is so horrible I cannot recommend the FJR for purchase. Keep on buying those BMWs, folks.
:lol:

It was almost a deal-breaker for me too Jerry, but I bought one of those vehicle inspection mirrors (the kind that you roll around so you can check for bombs under your truck). Now, I can check the oil level without kneeling down and making any nearby combat vets dive for cover from the rapid popping sounds my knees make. ;)

Welcome to the fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry, very precise and concise report on comparison between FJR and Type 259 BMW's. I have 40 years of BMW boxer twin operation covering 515,000 miles on the marque; your remarks are exactly as I would have expressed them myself.

My 1996 R1100GS has 110,000 miles on her, "Mi Mexico Mule" is currently owned by Perry Johnson. Only failure on that machine was the throwout bearing rod seal leaking, it oiled the clutch up on my way back from the BMW International Rally held in Redmond, Oregon in 2001; I was able to limp it home to Arizona and Iron Horse BMW of Tucson replaced the clutch.

Ingrid, my 2005 R1150RT, has 30,000 miles on her with absolutely no problems. But, I would be lying my old fat ass off if I was to say that the final drive failure fiasco isn't on my mind. BMW has to get a handle on a permanent repair for this unit!

Bugnatr has two valid points. Why spend $5K extra for a BMW sport tourer, when a Yamaha FJR will do the job just as well?

I continue to spend money on BMW's, I have a new one arriving next month, because I have been attending rallies with these same BMWMOA and BMWRA folks for forty years now; I just cannot stop the fraternal association with my old friends.

Bugnatr is indeed correct about the limited dealer network. On October 10, ten AZ Beemers are leaving for the BMW Clubs of Mexico International Rally in Guadalajara - Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco. A round trip of 4,000 miles over ten days time.

Once we pass Iron Horse heading South on Mexico 15, the next BMW dealer is Germania in Zapopan, a suburb of GDL, JAL.

I travel a lot in Mexico and Guatemala by motorcycle; and if your BMW breaks down, I know of only 13 BMW repair shops.

Yamaha sells outboard motors, generator sets, ditch pumps and all terrain vehicles all over Mexico - You can at least get any needed part for your FJR shipped to you in Tulum, Estado Quintana Roo. Since Tulum is a fishing port on the Caribbean Sea, they have a well equipped marina with a shop that carries Yamaha marine products; FJR parts can be ordered there.

I know you're aware that RT's do have a glove box and electric adjustable windshield; and my 2003 FJR is damned HOT.

However, as a 60 year old having a blue and white roundel tatooed on his butt, I cannot recommend a BMW over an FJR!!!!

I'm waiting for Smitty to weigh in here! Surely he has something to say about BMW vs. FJR. When I saw him this weekend, the GSA had dirt all over it and he was heading out to do some more un-paved roads - not something at which the FJR excels!

To be fair, the FJR probably shouldn't be compared to a GS or GSA. The most apples-to-apples comparison is probably the K1200RS or maybe the GT. I'm on an '08 FJR now coming off of an '02 K1200RS. But I think I'll hold off with any kind of elaborate comparative post (I don't have enough credibility on the forum yet!). :unsure:

I bought one of those vehicle inspection mirrors (the kind that you roll around so you can check for bombs under your truck). Now, I can check the oil level without kneeling down
I tried the mirror thing too. The reflaection is up-side-down and I can't seem to tell if it's half empty or half full. :blink:

Nice write up, I also like the BMW paralever suspension, I think it rides better then my FJR.

The day I can't get down on a knee the check the oil level, is the day I KNOW I need to hang up the riding boots.

... The FJR, on the other hand, has no such markings on the glass. Also it can only be viewed from close range while kneeling on the ground.
The FJR has no markings on the oil sight glass? :huh:

Are the min/max marks not enough?

I rode a BMW R1100RS for nearly 12 years. It was a fun and competent sport tourer. Then it broke one too many times and I decided to replace it with an FJR. I've only taken the FJR on one long ride, but that ride covered a wide variety of roads and enabled me to evaluate the bike fairly.
1. Engine. No question about it, the FJR completely blows away the BMW. You don’t need to look at any horsepower specs, you just need to sit on the bike and twist the throttle. It’s amazingly smooth, responsive, and powerful. The FJR is a well-mannered rocketship. In fairness, it's not really comparing apples to apples. One is an 1100cc boxer motor and the other is a 1300cc transverse 4. If it weren't faster there would be a problem. But man, that motor is a blast to ride!

What about engine heat? On this 05, which has not been modified in any way to mitigate any heat problems, I did feel some warmth on my lower legs. I can't say it was horrible, but it was there. Maybe after spending all day in Death Vally I might think differently, but for now it's livable.

2. Transmission. The BMW’s trans has always been clunky, hard to shift, and with wide-spaced gear ratios that make the transitions between gears awkward. The FJR shifts smoothly and the gears are closely spaced.

3. Brakes. Both bikes have excellent brakes. I’d say the FJR has a slight advantage when you first apply the brakes. They come on more smoothly with less “grab” than the BMW.

4. Handling. This is one area where the BMW is better. They both have excellent suspensions due to the aftermarket upgrades on both bikes. However the FJR has a tendency to stand up when braking in corners. The BMW’s paralever system eliminates that behavior. They both steer well and remain stable at high speeds.

5. Touring Amenities: Both bikes have factory saddlebags, but only the FJR’s saddlebags are large enough to fit a helmet. Both bikes have an adjustable windshield, but only the FJR’s is electric, and can be easily adjusted while riding. The FJR has a glove box, not the BMW. Advantage Yamaha.

6. Oil sight glass. The BMW has a far superior sight glass. It is easily visible while standing next to the bike. It has a convenient oil level mark on the glass. The FJR, on the other hand, has no such markings on the glass. Also it can only be viewed from close range while kneeling on the ground.

I've spent the last 15 years on K bikes, mostly K100RS with an LT thrown in to boot. Have 7K on my 08 FJR and like the bike. Differences obviously in horsepower and torque, although I never had a problem being left behind on the K100RS.

Some of my observations:

FJR is much heavier, by almost 100 lbs, only noticeable when moving it around the driveway. After getting it in motion, no problem.

I would say go ahead and buy an FJR regardless of the oil sight glass. Once you realize what it should look like when full, just look at it and you will know if it is low.

I do like the magnetic tank bag option of the FJR. Aluminum tanks don't take too well to mag tank bags and you are stuck with the BMW option, although it is a good one.

One big plus for the Beemer. It kills the FJR on gas mileage. Not even a contest. It is hard to get the K100RS under 40 mpg and the interesting part is the Beemer does it at 5000 rpm at 80 versus the FJR's 4000 rpm. 80 mph really starts the FJR drinking hard out here in the windy country.

The FJR is much smoother. The older K bike needs to be a 75 mph or more and then it gets smooth.

Both great machines, just different.

I've just got to weigh in here. I've got a friend who owns an 2005 R1200RT. I have a 2007 AE.

We have known each other for almost 30 years and know that our riding skills are evenly matched.

I have to say that since he has owned the bike (which he can't afford) there is not a helmet in the world that will fit his head it has swollen sooooo frickin much.

After a nine day trip together not too long ago we found that his $20,000+ BMW gets out run by my $11,600 FJR in a drag race.

We also found that his over priced motorcycle won't out corner my cheap jap bike either.

About the only thing we found that his high dollar bike will do that mine won't in that he can adjust his suspension while riding down that road.

WOW all that for $8,400 more. HAHAHAHAH

I think he can fit in his helmet again after that trip.

Oh yeah the oil sight glass. I actually had to stand on my head (at every stop) to see it. Not sure why I had to check it so much for him.

Never owned a BMW, never will own a BMW. Don't see the need to pay the price for two bikes. For that price you can have an FJR and a KLR.

just my $.02

80 mph really starts the FJR drinking hard out here in the windy country.
+1

I recently travelled thru Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska (mid-trip, I was told that Nebraska was having some of its windiest weather of the year) with speeds ranging from 75-95mph. I always keep meticulous records of my gas mileage and my notes from this trip support your observation so much that my jaw literally dropped at the difference in fuel range during the windy, speedy stints on the highway. I never noticed such a difference until this past trip.

Still, I'm not complaining. I got good fuel mileage given how hard I frequently was on the throttle.

[/quote

Are you kidding me. This must be some kind of an in-side joke.

I bought one of those vehicle inspection mirrors (the kind that you roll around so you can check for bombs under your truck). Now, I can check the oil level without kneeling down
I tried the mirror thing too. The reflaection is up-side-down and I can't seem to tell if it's half empty or half full. :blink:

Nice write up, I also like the BMW paralever suspension, I think it rides better then my FJR.
=======

Come on now!!! just getcha one of them there POV cameras mounted to the top

of your boot like me :blink: :dribble: then ya can clearly see the sight glass and the undercarriage of

your bike..... aaaaaaaa thats my story and I'm stickin to it....... :yahoo:

It was almost a deal-breaker for me too Jerry, but I bought one of those vehicle inspection mirrors (the kind that you roll around so you can check for bombs under your truck). Now, I can check the oil level without kneeling down and making any nearby combat vets dive for cover from the rapid popping sounds my knees make. ;)

Welcome to the fold.
Shoe Mirrors, like the ones I use for looking up skirts!