FJR - BMW Sport Touring Shootout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. The word "snooty" and "condisending" do not even cover it..KM
The fact that you can spell snooty and condisending should have been proof enough that you were not a second class citizen... :clapping:
Er, no :no2: , sorry, it's "condescending". Just sayin' :mellow: .
That fact that you know the proper spelling of condescending means that you too are an elitist snob. Where are you hiding the Beemer?

:lol:
Guilty as charged (hoping for a lenient sentence).

I am not aware of a Beemer with an electric gear-shift, so I can't ride one. I did once have a test ride. This was when I had a Trophy and still had some use of my left little finger. Didn't like it. It was ugly as well as having no torque and handled like it didn't want to go round corners, at least at low speeds. Unfortunately I can't tell you what the model was, it was that memorable.

I bought a '08 FJR in May. 2200 mi. and pretty darn happy.

only 2200 miles do you ever ride???
Gunny That!!!

Bought mine the end of may and she has almost 7,000 and that probably not much to brag about compared to some. I will admit my two buddy's bought HD's and one just turnded 700 miles and the other guy has just over 600. JUST NOT THAT MANY MILES BETWEEN THE LOCAL BAR'S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a '08 FJR in May. 2200 mi. and pretty darn happy.

only 2200 miles do you ever ride???
Gunny That!!!

Bought mine the end of may and she has almost 7,000 and that probably not much to brag about compared to some. I will admit my two buddy's bought HD's and one just turnded 700 miles and the other guy has just over 600. JUST NOT THAT MANY MILES BETWEEN THE LOCAL BAR'S.
Got mine for memorial day weekend and will go in for my 8000 check tomorrow.

LAGO RUNNER: Thanks for your feedback! I have friends who are Motor Patrol Officers here in Arizona: DPS, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix and the other municipalities that utilize the R1150RTP Authority bikes; some are members of AZ Beemers. They put on approximately 200 miles a day, working out to 1K miles a week on their police bikes. They relate to me that they top off with about a third of a quart of oil a week. However, all these machines have less than 50,000 miles.
I follow the same guidelines as wel1123 does and change the oil on my two BMW's, FJR, H-D FXD every 3,000 miles. My Kawasaki KLR 650 gets its oil changed every 1.5K miles because it is constantly run off road under really grimy conditions.

The oil usage on these Arizona R1150RTP's is close to the same as my civilian R1150RT; I will be at least a half quart low at oil change time. Ironically, my 1996 R1100GS doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. But this is now at 110,000 miles.

What is the mileage on your Authority R1150RTP? Could it be that the rings have still not seated on the NIKASIL cylinder liners? Up until 50,000 miles the R1100GS was also using a third of a quart every 1K miles. Rings were still not fully seated!

fjrb0: Glad you enjoyed the Devil's Highway. They're forecasting possible snow and hail this Sunday. Wacky AZ Weather!

I only have 40k miles on my 05 R1150. in my city we are assigned to freeways only. my chase downs are usually at 110 MPH, from a stationary position, and I have to top off the oil every other week, but we run them pretty hard... and it could be the rings are not seated..we usually get new bikes around the 60k mark and now being issued the R1200RTP.