FJR Bottomless Pit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Went to install my Yuasa Smart Shot 900 charger/maintainer today and the nut on the panel edge decided to take the grand leap off the panel while trying to align the panel holes into the abyss of the new 06 FJR. Can you say, "good bye"? The dealer says they haven't any and will take 5-7 days to get one. Ouch. One thing I'm going to have to learn is, don't drop anything in this bike! Now, where did I put that wrench....PM. <>< :D

One thing I'm going to have to learn is, don't drop anything in this bike!
No.

What you need to learn is to get a few spare of every damn fastner and bolt on the bike. This will be small $$$, but reap huge rewards in lack of frustration. Believe me, I know.

Seriously, I have 2-5 extra of just about every fastener/bolt on the FJR. I even have extra TBS rubber caps and retaining springs. What I consider very critical is to get extra of the nylon windshield screws. They break or strip very easily. Not a big deal when you got a bunch extra around. Not a bad idea to get the rubber wellnuts they screw into either. Eventually, they can wear also.

So email Gary McCoy at University motors, and order up spare of everything along with a couple oil filters and an air filter. And don't forget to order a bunch of crush washers for the oil drain bolt, and final drive drain and filler bolts.

Do it.

Now.

What are you waiting for?

Quit reading this post, and get to ordering those spares!

Last edited by a moderator:
What Skooter said. Sounds like we have the same problem. Cannabalistic garge floors, drop small parts, tools, ect. on the floor they're gone, garage floor eats them. I keep a supply of plastic tops off of aersol cans to keep small parts, nuts, bolts, washers together.

Thanks for that info, Im on it I tell ya. +1 on the grief. And what may I ask is the "TBS rubber caps and retaining springs" before I order? PM. <>< :huh:

The small shit collects on top of the head in a nook just too small to get into or in the crease of the side fairing where it meets the chin spoiler. I keep replenshing my spares when I pop the plastic off every now and again...

Thanks for that info, Im on it I tell ya. +1 on the grief. And what may I ask is the "TBS rubber caps and retaining springs" before I order? PM. <>< :huh:
Little rubber caps on the vacuum tubes and even smaller wire clamps that hold the caps in place. These are removed to do a TBS (throttle body sync.). :)

The little rubber caps (and their retaining clip, not springs as I said earlier), cover the ports to the throttle bodies. These ports are where you connect a sync tool for Throttle Body Synchronizing. Easy to lose while removing, but if you won't be doing your own TBS (Throttle Body Sync) which I highly recommend you do, no need to get extra.

You can see what I am talking about at the following link: FJRTech.com Throttle Body Sync

The retaining clips for those rubber caps are as useful as tits on a bull. The caps seat well and tightly over the vacuum port, and since it's pulling a vacuum when running... one would think it would help hold them on as well.

No.

What you need to learn is to get a few spare of every damn fastner and bolt on the bike. This will be small $$$, but reap huge rewards in lack of frustration. Believe me, I know.

Seriously, I have 2-5 extra of just about every fastener/bolt on the FJR. I even have extra TBS rubber caps and retaining springs. What I consider very critical is to get extra of the nylon windshield screws. They break or strip very easily. Not a big deal when you got a bunch extra around. Not a bad idea to get the rubber wellnuts they screw into either. Eventually, they can wear also.

So email Gary McCoy at University motors, and order up spare of everything along with a couple oil filters and an air filter. And don't forget to order a bunch of crush washers for the oil drain bolt, and final drive drain and filler bolts.

Do it.

Now.

So does that mean that if I need something I can head over and use some of yours... In the spirit of brotherhood? :D

Has anyone put together a list of these disappearing fasteners? I know I would appreciate knowing what is gonna sneak off before they do. :unsure:

Thanks for sharing if anyone cares to.

It is a well known fact that to find the exact center of a vehicle all one has to do is drop a nut or bolt, it will roll to that location. :D though it might be a little more difficult than finding one made to US spec, that nut design is not unique. It's called a speednut. You might just luck out if you remove one from another panel, along with one of the screws, and drop by a couple Toyota (or Honda, or Nissan, you get the idea) dealers, especially those with a body shop attached. Common on door, trunk, and dash trim.

No.

Do it.

Now.

So does that mean that if I need something I can head over and use some of yours... In the spirit of brotherhood? :D

Of course!

Seriously!

Just call ahead to find out what beverage you need to bring a long. A man works up a serious thirst looking for the correct replacement fastener. :lol:

The retaining clips for those rubber caps are as useful as tits on a bull. The caps seat well and tightly over the vacuum port, and since it's pulling a vacuum when running... one would think it would help hold them on as well.
I took mine off the first time I did a TBS, and after 24k I've had no problems with them popping off or anything. Now it's much easier to remove them by hand without the longnose.