FJR gas tanks double-wall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyWiz

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if an 03 tank is double-walled? I came out of a Harley dealership to find a double knuckle sized dent in my tank. I know of several "paintless" dent removal guys but heard most bike tanks are double walled and dents there cannot be pushed out.

That's what I get for looking at a Harley.

Thanks

Great news thanks!

AZZZZZZZZZ HOLES I agree.

I figured, instead of always not understanding what the allure was, I'd go try one for myself. I came out to find a service guy and two other "Harley Uniformed" dirtbags smoking near my bike. I noticed the two small knuckle sized dents and inquired. The service guy told me, "shoulda' bought a Harley." They posted up like they were gonna "handle me". I followed up with management but they were not willing to help. That's what I get for trying to understand the appeal of the unwashed Harley masses.

ABC Harley Waterford, Mi

Not double.
And I bet the dealership has surveillance video. Get it. Get police involved if you know it happened there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the joint is home for some of those "South Park" Harley types as mentioned in another thread.

I should think the HD motor company would like to hear how well this particular dealership is handling PR..

nono.gif

I ride Harley's and FJR's and Honda's. This stinks! Like Silver Spirit said I'd contact HD and make some noise about this. I had something like this happen and I called HD raised some hell. Next thing ya'know the dealership is calling.. payed for repairs to my friends Ducati. Phone calls are cheap don't let these azz holes get away with this.

Vandalism to someone's bike is inexcusable, in my book, regardless of who does it or where it occurs. I hope you're successful in prosecuting the guilty SOB(s) or, at the least, getting the dealership to pay for the repairs. I've read that dry ice can sometimes be used to pop dents back out, if there's no crease present, though I've never done it myself.

Can't help ya with the issue, but I'd certainly report it to everyone and anyone who will listen.

As for checking out HD's...if your nearest annual bike show has demo rides, check it out. I was disappointed to find that all the FJR's and S10's demo rides had been signed up for the entire weekend when I arrived. Walked around, only thing that was available from most manufacturers were their cruisers. I looked around and spied the HD booth and figured, if I'm gonna ride a cruiser, might as well give that a shot.

Walked up in my sport bike leather jacket with full face helmet expecting to get some comments....nothing. These guys were very nice and I took out the XR, VRod and a touring bike. I realized that they certainly weren't for me but the guys running the demos chatted with me and asked my thoughts and such. It was a good experience. Quite unlike what you had. If you are still curious, I'd recommend this route.

Thanks all.

This happened last year and I'm finally getting around to taking care of the dent.

I wrote and called HD North America. They stated the dealership told them I was combative and the dents were there when I got there. Local PD said there was no way to prove where the dents came from, since HD had 3 witnesses that say they were already there. The location I parked in had no surveillance.

Anyway, I do appreciate the words and support but since this tank is not double, It should only cost $50-$75 to get repaired.

Thanks!

Too bad....but let's be honest, some places will have assholes and some won't. Not a HD fan myself, but the Idaho Falls HD store sure has taken good care of some FJR riders. I've known at least 3 guys that had tire problems while out on the road and they mounted tires right on the spot for next to nothing cost.

I feel your pain... If you search my posts here, I had a Harley rider at my workplace put gravel in my oil. Thus, I had to buy a locking oil cap for my bike. My previous bike (before the FJR) was a Harley... To make a long story short, after getting ripped-off by two Harley dealerships on an engine build, one of the dealerships not honoring a trade-in arrangement ('cause I wouldn't buy an Ultra), and then having Harley Corporate hang up on me, Harley Davidson is no longer an option for me.

It sucks that you have to deal with such ignorance... I wish you well on your repair.

Can't help ya with the issue, but I'd certainly report it to everyone and anyone who will listen.
As for checking out HD's...if your nearest annual bike show has demo rides, check it out. I was disappointed to find that all the FJR's and S10's demo rides had been signed up for the entire weekend when I arrived. Walked around, only thing that was available from most manufacturers were their cruisers. I looked around and spied the HD booth and figured, if I'm gonna ride a cruiser, might as well give that a shot.

Walked up in my sport bike leather jacket with full face helmet expecting to get some comments....nothing. These guys were very nice and I took out the XR, VRod and a touring bike. I realized that they certainly weren't for me but the guys running the demos chatted with me and asked my thoughts and such. It was a good experience. Quite unlike what you had. If you are still curious, I'd recommend this route.
Are VRods Harleys
smile.png
Some of my HD friends won't claim it as such, same for the Sportster. Oh Well - I love the VRod.

Black Diamond in Marion, IL has always been pretty good to me. I often window shop, and participate in a several of their events each year. They have even mounted and balanced a tire or two for me that I carried in. Never had a problem with them or with most Harley riders I meet. I have even ridden a couple HD's that I liked.

Sorry your experience has been different. I would be upset if that happened to me as well.

Still on this thread------If I let my ’04 FJR get real low on fuel, in 95+ hot weather, it lets me know the tank is a single walled radiator. There are lots of double walled exhaust pipes but I’ve not heard of double walls on tanks.

Sorry about your dents, wherever they came from but I would say it would be rare to get damage (on purpose) near any M/C shop. There’s always exceptions. Move on, it is a learning experience. Later,,,De
smile.png