FJR OBD II?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does the FJR have the same system as cars, OBDII ?
No.

The FJR is not OBDII compliant but it does have onboard diagnostics of the electronic systems.

OBDII just refers to a standard protocol of onboard dignostic tests and a standard protocol of diagnostic code readout. The government (EPA) mandates what things must be monitored/diagnosed and exactly how the diagnostic codes are accessed. Prior to OBDII (beginning in the 1996 model year for most vehicles) electronic fuel injection systems had onboard diagnostic systems...some rather extensive. The problem was that the onboard diagnostics varied from manufacturer to manufacturer and that access to the diagnostic systems was pretty limited and a "dealer exclusive" item. The standardization of the onboard diagnostic systems was driven by the OBDII to allow any service station or auto repair the ability to access the diagnostics and effect repairs rather than limiting it to the specific manufacturer's dealers. Onboard diagnostics were not created by OBDII just standardized by it.

The FJR has onboard diagnostics with readout of the various trouble codes for the system but the onboard diagnostics are not OBDII compliant. Since the systems on the motorcycles are not nearly as sophisticated as the automotive systems much of the OBDII requirements really do not even apply. But I would imagine that eventually the motorcycles will have to comply with some level of standardization of onboard diagnostics just like cars.

Ok thanks.

my son has some type of electronic gizmo that plugs into the OBD port under the dash, you can access all kinds of info. I was just wondering if it would work on my FJR.

I lament that the FJR doesn't have a real data port. The diAG screen has some shortcomings as a diagnostic tool. It won't let you read sensors and actuator values while the engine is running, and you can't see how the sensors and actuators interact with each other as a dynamic system.

I'm able to drag my laptop out to my car and plug it into the OBD port and use AutoTap or AutoXray to read and map all the power train information, real time. I can hook up the laptop and go for a drive while data logging. For the intrepid, you can get into the PCM with a program like LT1 Edit and actually make changes to many items. I have changed several engine parameters as well as transmission settings. Time slips from the drag strip and Autocross time reports show that the changes work, 150k miles on the power train without catastrophic failure indicates the changes were relatively safe.

I lament that the FJR doesn't have a real data port. The diAG screen has some shortcomings as a diagnostic tool. It won't let you read sensors and actuator values while the engine is running, and you can't see how the sensors and actuators interact with each other as a dynamic system.
I'm able to drag my laptop out to my car and plug it into the OBD port and use AutoTap or AutoXray to read and map all the power train information, real time. I can hook up the laptop and go for a drive while data logging. For the intrepid, you can get into the PCM with a program like LT1 Edit and actually make changes to many items. I have changed several engine parameters as well as transmission settings. Time slips from the drag strip and Autocross time reports show that the changes work, 150k miles on the power train without catastrophic failure indicates the changes were relatively safe.
Boy I bet your dealer would just love to know that :derisive: ....

Boy I bet your dealer would just love to know that
Dealer? Who/what's that? At 150k miles I don't think a dealer would care, assuming that I would take my car to one. Not much worse than installing a PCIII in your FJR then bombing your favorite twisties (again and again and again). Unless there is a recall for something significant or a major component failed during the warranty period the dealer will never see my car after the sale is made. I'm willing to take responsibility for my actions (if I'm caught red handed and can't pay someone else to take the fall for me :lol: ).

If I were able to access Feejer's ECU with data logging and editing software I would be there in a heart beat. I would not be there to do something revolutionary, but to do many things evolutionary.