FJR Sales

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguy

Reaction score
While talking to the sales mgr at a large dealer here in Daytona I found out that they only sold 8 FJR's last year (low for them) but have moved 24 so far this year! Seems to match the increase in new forum members I noticed recently. I wonder whether this increase is indemic to the SST Genre or if the FJR is enjoying this resurgence on it's own. Any solid info out there?

We all know the new black model is the fastest and best looking. :lol:
Yes we all know the new black FJR is the fastest, but its not as fast as that Lancair. Is that yours? Nice plane.

I purchased mine because I'm having to commute more and the price of gas. I figured I could enjoy the commute more and save money at the same time.

They almost had me last year with the Black Cherry color. I couldn't walk away from Raven. :dribble:

Interesting. 2 mentions of gas milage. Almost every sales person I have talked to mentions that while it never came up before, now it is inevitably one of the first 3 questions asked. Stranger is that while casually cruising on the highway at 75- 80 nets me 47 - 49 mpg. Drop down to 65 - 70 and that figure increases to low 50's. Go to a casual 50 - 55 on secondary roads in 5th and you can close in on 60, at least with the lower gearing on the GII's. The interesing part is that while thats not why anyone buys an FJR, it is better than most 600 cc bikes and not a heck of a lot lower than the 250's which are the hottest (especially the new Kaw) sellers on the floor for that exact reason.

This is good to remember when the you get down to 1 tick left on the fuel guage and you are in desolate unfamiliar territory sans GPS.

Interesting. 2 mentions of gas milage. Almost every sales person I have talked to mentions that while it never came up before, now it is inevitably one of the first 3 questions asked. Stranger is that while casually cruising on the highway at 75- 80 nets me 47 - 49 mpg. Drop down to 65 - 70 and that figure increases to low 50's. Go to a casual 50 - 55 on secondary roads in 5th and you can close in on 60, at least with the lower gearing on the GII's. The interesing part is that while thats not why anyone buys an FJR, it is better than most 600 cc bikes and not a heck of a lot lower than the 250's which are the hottest (especially the new Kaw) sellers on the floor for that exact reason.
This is good to remember when the you get down to 1 tick left on the fuel guage and you are in desolate unfamiliar territory sans GPS.
The best I've seen is 47.7 with my Gen I. I think 55 to 60 is a little optimistic especially with the Gen II's lower final ratio.

I also ride a Gen. II, and get near 50. Even pushing it hard on the freeway (80-100), it will get 42 mpg, at least in warm weather. Cagers are blown away when I tell them.

I have been wanting to try one since they came out. Saw the black one on a showroom in Salt Lake City, came home and bought one from the local dealer. Really enjoying it so far. Just did the 600 changes today. Have added sliders and Throttlemeister. Just need more time to ride it.

While talking to the sales mgr at a large dealer here in Daytona I found out that they only sold 8 FJR's last year (low for them) but have moved 24 so far this year! Seems to match the increase in new forum members I noticed recently. I wonder whether this increase is indemic to the SST Genre or if the FJR is enjoying this resurgence on it's own. Any solid info out there?

Are you talking about Daytona Fun Machines? They're a pretty cool bunch o' folks, and I do hope they're making money.

My wife's F250 gets about 14 MPG on the highway. High 40's sounds good, now if could just figure out how to mount a ladder rack...

avg a good 42-44mpg but gas prices are the reason I talked the wife into my first bike, a 600 shadow (BTW, it gets a good 60mpg at 70-75mph).My car gets at best 20mpg so I save almost $7 a day in gas simply by taking the FJR to work!

<snip>....Any solid info out there?
According to Dealernews magazine, the sales results for April 2008 show:

• Overall, national, sales down 3.94% (for all categories of streetbikes).
  • Cruisers are still, far & away, the best-sellers -- 310,000 units.
  • Sportbikes -- 180,000 units.
  • Touring -- 140,000 units.
It could be argued? -- with enough farkles? -- the FJR could be moved into the 'Cruiser' category.... :blink: :unsure:

<snip>....Any solid info out there?
According to Dealernews magazine, the sales results for April 2008 show:

• Overall, national, sales down 3.94% (for all categories of streetbikes).
  • Cruisers are still, far & away, the best-sellers -- 310,000 units.
  • Sportbikes -- 180,000 units.
  • Touring -- 140,000 units.
It could be argued? -- with enough farkles? -- the FJR could be moved into the 'Cruiser' category.... :blink: :unsure:
Well, since feej is a super sport touring machine, does that not mean we ad 140 + 180 and get 320K in sales for our class???? If we want to convert to cruiser class we would have to ad water to our fuel... retard the idle, ans lower he footpags by 50% so they hit leaving the driveway..... oh, would have to pull two plug wires too ..........

NAWWWWWW I will stay with the sport tourings larger numbers,,,, hehe

avg a good 42-44mpg but gas prices are the reason I talked the wife into my first bike, a 600 shadow (BTW, it gets a good 60mpg at 70-75mph).My car gets at best 20mpg so I save almost $7 a day in gas simply by taking the FJR to work!

Good, that will help you pay for the $300 in tires that you will go through every 3-6 months. :rolleyes:

LC