FJR / Sport Touring Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c10

Reaction score
I have several helmets . ( Arai Quantum II ' Scorpion EXO 1000 ) Both nice . Scorpion is heavy , But I left my

sunglasses at home a few days ago on a ride so I had to swap helmets with my wife to wear the scorpion for the internal sunvisor .

I noticed a huge diffrence of wind buffet change on my FJR with its stock wind screen in all heights over my normal wear all the time Arai Quantum II . So I decided to buy a new helmet yesterday.

I spoke with a long time parts sales guy ( Ryan ) , and he turned me on the the Shoei Quest .

Designed for sport tour bikes with many nice features .

I was a little nervous spending $512 bucks for the helmet with a extra tinted screen , but I did .

Came home to suit up after work , and go for a ride . Let me say its the best $ 500 I have ever spent on a bike helmet . Quiet is not the word , but if you vent it and the wind screen its still quieter than either of my other two helmets with the FJR,s wind screen all the way down vs the screen up with the other two helmets .

Its warm or cool , meaning it vents very well or not at all depending on how you adjust the vents .

Also this helmet has a better cut out on the sides alowing you to see better in your perrifeial vision .

Last the helmet does not buffet around like the Arai . Now able to ride with wind screen down with the new helmet.

Found this nice video from Shoei

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/qwest/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shoei Quest is a awesome helmet.

I was going to buy one but as with most full face helmets it rips my ears off when I put it on and take it off, so I went to a modular Symax II.

I know it is not a true full face but is comfortable and has nice features.

Enjoy your Quest, I know you are going to love it.

Quest is the best helmet I have had yet-especially with the pinlock shield..not to happy to find that my large size barely fits in the bag tho..

I was going to buy one but as with most full face helmets it rips my ears off when I put it on and take it off, so I went to a modular Symax II.

Same here so I went with the Shoei Multitec Flip-up Helmet last year and love it.

You've discovered Shoei's best helmet! I have the RF1000, RF1100, Multitech, X-11, X-12, and Qwest. The Qwest is by far the most quiet and comfortable of the bunch.

The Qwest is by far the most quiet and comfortable of the bunch.
+1

Have one for me and my SO

IMG_2977-Copy.jpg

Much better at cheating the wind than my Arai XD3

IMG_2978-Copy.jpg

IMG_2979-Copy.jpg

I had a HJC Symax for years and I thought that the Horrible Buffeting in the wind was normal and you couldn't do anything about it until I bought a Shoei Multitec.

Holy Crap was I wrong. This thing is Smoth as Silk at any speed. I'm never going back. Flip up is a Must for me. Waaaay More convenient. :assassin:

I ahd heard that the removal of a helmet should be like a "birthing experience"!

Much better at cheating the wind than my Arai XD3
Jesus! :unsure: I would hope so! :lol:

And if you don't want to spend $500 to cure some perceived buffet, spend $80 on a Laminair Lip, along with a Rifle tuning block for the stock screen. It's late spring thru early fall riding nirvana.

Anyone with experience with the Shark Evoline 2 ST? It seems like it has a lot of nice features, though I doubt it is as quiet as a full face helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with experience with the Shark Evoline 2 ST? It seems like it has a lot of nice features, though I doubt it is as quiet as a full face helmet.
I purchased a Shark Evoline 2 2 years ago and I love it. This is the first full face and modular helmet I've owned so I cannot make a comparison with others. But an office buddy who's been riding extensively forever juts bought one also. His comments is that it is much quieter than the first Shark Evoline series, and he much preferes his new Shark over his previous modular helmut.

Rheal

I have a Quest as well and am convinced that it's the best helmet for the buck. $512 seems a bit steep, I got mine from Revzilla for quite a bit less. Anyway, enjoy the new lid. You'll love the pinlock system when temps drop.

Regards -

I purchased a Shark Evoline 2 2 years ago and I love it. This is the first full face and modular helmet I've owned so I cannot make a comparison with others. But an office buddy who's been riding extensively forever juts bought one also. His comments is that it is much quieter than the first Shark Evoline series, and he much preferes his new Shark over his previous modular helmut.

Rheal
i've had my Evoline for about 8 months. i LOVE it. it's not as quiet as a full face, but i can hear the engine @ 80, with the screen up. the best feature, IMHO, is the shield and the chin bar are separate pieces. so you can have the bar down and shield up, bar down and shield down, bar up (it tucks in back of the helmet) and shield down, or both up.

P.

I've seen lots of reviews of people complaining of noisiness with the Qwest over the RF-1100. I commute daily by the FJR and do a lot of spirited weekend jaunts of 100 miles or more. Whistling noises like those being reported would be unacceptable.

Rheal
i've had my Evoline for about 8 months. i LOVE it. it's not as quiet as a full face, but i can hear the engine @ 80, with the screen up. the best feature, IMHO, is the shield and the chin bar are separate pieces. so you can have the bar down and shield up, bar down and shield down, bar up (it tucks in back of the helmet) and shield down, or both up.

P.

I have been trying to find a place to try on the Shark Evoline for a long time but can't find anywhere in so cal that has them. Ugh.

I just can't get past the prices on Shoei & Arai helmets - not that they're not beautifully made, but there are plenty of helmets out there that are also nicely made at a fraction of the price. I have a Scorpion 1000 that's OK, but pretty heavy & gimmicky. Just bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy, and really enjoy the open face aspect. :)

I just can't get past the prices on Shoei & Arai helmets - not that they're not beautifully made, but there are plenty of helmets out there that are also nicely made at a fraction of the price. I have a Scorpion 1000 that's OK, but pretty heavy & gimmicky. Just bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy, and really enjoy the open face aspect. :)
I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford this method of helmet shopping, but when I go to look for a new helmet, I try not to look at the prices. I simply try a ton of helmets on, to see how they fit. Make sure there is even contact across all parts of my head so that I don't end up with any hot spots during an all day ride. Once I find one that I think I like, I promptly proceed to make myself look like a doofus, and walk around the store with the helmet on for at least 10 minutes. If I don't have any pain, or a headache, etc, that's the helmet I get.

The downside to this process is that it's tedious, and you get sick of trying on helmets and just want to find one that fits and be done with it.

But the last time I went through this process, it was for a dirt bike helmet, and I happened the one that happened to fit my head the best was one of the less expensive ones :)

With that being said, even though I'm not in the market for a new helmet, I was waiting for a bearing to be pressed into my relay arm at the shop the other day, and I tried on a Qwest. It gave me a headache within seconds...moral of the story, don't necessarily take other people's words on your helmet choice. Be sure to try it on for yourself and see how it fits.