FJR Tankbags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking at part number 23P-F41E0-V0-00, the Yamaha website lists Super Tenere as the fitment; not FJR.

Aunt Kelly's Cortech Super 2.0 bag fits my FJR perfectly.

Does fit any '06 to '17 FJR (I don't know about earlier ones, but certainly ok for your '06).

UK web site here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called YAMAHA direct and yes they do fit anything from 05 to present.The catalogs state from 09 to present.

I bought the SW-Moto Bags Connection Quick Lock EVO Trial (what a mouthful!) bag specifically because it has a good map pocket.

Its a pricey bag but seems like very good quality. I haven't used it much yet however, ask again next year and I'll update
uhoh.gif

I have Bags Connection City and GS bags. Both fit my GSA and my FJR, so I swap them around depending on how big a bag I need. The EVO lock is brilliant and as FJReady mentioned, there is a good map pocket (although it is extra cost on an already expensive bag).

Yes it fits. I just got one. Its a big bag. The map pocket is kind of funky. The clear plastic is kind of wrinkled in the area closest to the rider when there is only one map in it. I guess they wanted to make it to hold several maps. Be careful when you strap the base to the front of the bike so as not to bind up the steering. I put a small piece on an inner tube in the rear metal pieces so as not to scratch the paint on the edge of the tank. For the price, they should have a cleaner attachment design.

Here's another. I've always used a tank bag. I also always ride with the side cases and Givi top case mounted. I like to be able to stop and pick up most anything on the bike. (I also keep two sets of Rok Straps criss-crossed across the pillion seat, so I can pick up things like a 50-lb. bag of dog food or whatever. The tank bag is for small and nice-to-have-with-me things, some of them valuable, like my prescription sunglasses.)

On my 3 FJRs I've had one that attached with straps and hooks, one was ring-mounted, one Bagster bag that clipped in to the tank cover, and a couple of magnetic ones. I like the magnets best. Here's why. If I run into a store or somewhere and I won't be able to keep an eye on the bike, I like just sticking the tank bag in the big Givi. Also, it's the easiest--by far--to move out of the way to get gas. (I learned the hard way to put the removed bag up front over the ignition, not back on the tail somewhere, where some dummy might not see it and forget to put it back on and get 20 miles away in a shithole like Pahrump, NV before looking down and . . . well, never mind.) I also like that if I need to make a hard turn for parking or whatever, or even to lock the forks, if the bag's in the way, like big ones sometimes are, it's the easiest type to re-position.

Mine's a fairly inexpensive but fully functional Roadgear bag with a removable map pocket. Worth considering, IMO.

The yamaha bag does hit the controls when the handle bar is in full lock but not enough to cause any issues other than being able to just barely feel it as it approaches full lock.

I bought the SW-Moto Bags Connection Quick Lock EVO Trial (what a mouthful!) bag specifically because it has a good map pocket.
Its a pricey bag but seems like very good quality. I haven't used it much yet however, ask again next year and I'll update
uhoh.gif
Big name for a big bag. I have that same bag with power and really liked it for travelling. It's too big for everyday commuting.

You're right about the quality. It's very well made. High price but you get a lot for your money.

I use a Nelson Rigg tank bag that I converted to Quick Release using a Cortech Dryver tank ring. I'll never go back to a strapped/magnetic tank bag again.

The yamaha bag does hit the controls when the handle bar is in full lock but not enough to cause any issues other than being able to just barely feel it as it approaches full lock.
Except for the cruise control power button and, if you have YCC-S
rolleyes.gif
the auto-change-down selection button. I find both randomly selected or deselected after any tight manoeuvre. Nothing worse than a nuisance.

... I like the magnets best. Here's why. If I run into a store or somewhere and I won't be able to keep an eye on the bike, I like just sticking the tank bag in the big Givi. Also, it's the easiest--by far--to move out of the way to get gas. (I learned the hard way to put the removed bag up front over the ignition, not back on the tail somewhere, where some dummy might not see it and forget to put it back ...
With the Yamaha bag, the bag unclips with three quick-release connectors. When fulling, I unclip the two front clips and, using the back strap, hinge it onto the saddle. No chance to forget it when riding off. And, if you want to remove it, just undo the third clip.

The magnetic bag I have, the bag section zips to the magnetic base. The base has a head-stock strap that I always have done up to prevent any possibility of the bag lifting off accidentally, but I can hinge it forward using the headstock strap when refuelling.

I generally find find the Yamaha strapped bag more convenient, it's the one I now always use.

I've always used a strap-on (
omg2.gif
) and never had an issue with any of them. Then last year I went to move one from the FJR over to another bike and fought against all the stuff now packed in around the head on the Gen IIIs. It sure got tight up there. And that was just taking the head strap off. No desire to try and feed that strap back around when putting it back on. Picked up the SW-Motech Quick-lock EVO City after seeing it on another's bike and now wondering why I didn't do that sooner. And like the strap-style, I still place it forward between the bars when fueling and so far haven't left it behind anywhere. (Now forgetting sunglasses is another story . . . .)

I run a Cortech Dryver tank bag that is quick mounted to the tank ring. Love it.

I have now modified it so I run power into it, and then split it to run power for 2 accessories. Things stay charged and dry inside the bag.

The bag has a rigid body- so it keeps its shape whether full or empty. It has a removeable map sleeve on top.

The tank mounting ring is easy to install, and the bag is easy to attach/remove, but will stay steady on the bike when riding. Keeps the bag off the tank, too.

It has the capabilites of mounting a GPS or phone to the bag also- with an extra accessory mount.

good luck.

Except for the cruise control power button and, if you have YCC-S
rolleyes.gif
the auto-change-down selection button. I find both randomly selected or deselected after any tight manoeuvre. Nothing worse than a nuisance.
Agree about hitting unwanted buttons with a bigger bag. Just a nuisance. Except for one: trying to get out of a tight parking spot or a tight turn-around as people stand around wondering why that idiot keeps blowing his damn horn.

I've used the Cortech Dryver and the Givi XS307. Both great bags. The Cortech is smaller with little to no clearance issues. The Givi is a bit larger and does hit the cruise control button and sometimes the horn. Here is what they look like on the bike.

Cortech Dryver

20160611_125319_zps0ff6kmr5.jpg

Givi XS307

20160713_175914_zpsr1epkjlh.jpg