FJR Tankbags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR touring tank bag is good but has a few drawbacks.

I lost the plastic rain cover at speed and it does need it.

After riding in the rain for a day it filled up with water like a dam, everything swamped

Easy on / off with 3 clips but I did cut up some of that non-slip material to protect the paintwork, it also helped the mounting fixture from moving around.

A good design for when you fill up.

It does hit the horn button at full lock but overall the bag works quite well, happy with it.

I protect it's contents just in case of rain, it contains some power accessories, and holds all those little things I need on the road. Good capacity.

I've used the Cortech Dryver and the Givi XS307. Both great bags. The Cortech is smaller with little to no clearance issues. The Givi is a bit larger and does hit the cruise control button and sometimes the horn. Here is what they look like on the bike.
Cortech Dryver

20160611_125319_zps0ff6kmr5.jpg

Givi XS307

20160713_175914_zpsr1epkjlh.jpg
Justin is that the small or medium Cortech Dryver bag in the picture?

I've used the Cortech Dryver and the Givi XS307. Both great bags. The Cortech is smaller with little to no clearance issues. The Givi is a bit larger and does hit the cruise control button and sometimes the horn. Here is what they look like on the bike.
Justin is that the small or medium Cortech Dryver bag in the picture?
That is the small Cortech Dryver. The Cortech has an optional GPS mount and an Optional organizer that can go on top. I never bought them. The Givi came with an Ipad pouch to go on top.

Madmudder posted: Has anyone used an Ipad & a tank bag with success?
I have ordered a tankbag specifically for that purpose. (Click here for background.) Unfortunately, the shelf-mounted iPad obscures too much of the dashboard, and the Google Maps text is too small to read, even from that short distance.

A Dowco Iron Rider Cruiser Tank Bag should be arriving at my porch today from Revzilla. Its map pocket should accommodate the iPad. Will report back on fitment.

I'll be listening to Miss Google tell me where to go instead of seeing directions on-screen, but the screen is available for those times when I've been zoning out for 90 minutes and wonder if I missed a turn.

Madmudder posted: Has anyone used an Ipad & a tank bag with success?
I have ordered a tankbag specifically for that purpose. (Click here for background.) Unfortunately, the shelf-mounted iPad obscures too much of the dashboard, and the Google Maps text is too small to read, even from that short distance.

A Dowco Iron Rider Cruiser Tank Bag should be arriving at my porch today from Revzilla. Its map pocket should accommodate the iPad. Will report back on fitment.

I'll be listening to Miss Google tell me where to go instead of seeing directions on-screen, but the screen is available for those times when I've been zoning out for 90 minutes and wonder if I missed a turn.
I look forward to your review. I was hoping to use my Ipad air 9x7". I was thinking of just using a Ram mount on the tank based on the issues I have heard with overheating in a tank bag sleeve & direct sunlight. I figured if I used the items below with a Life proof case allowing air to pass by and cool it may be my option.

https://www.rammount.com/files/pdf/RMR-INS-410.pdf

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TABL20U

https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/apple-ipad-air-2/nuud-for-ipad-air-2-case/77-50774.html?color=20

Last edited by a moderator:
The tankbag is here. Magnets are strong, and the bag fits nicely on top of the gas tank. No interference with handlebars.

Materials look sturdy; stitching appears neat and sufficiently strong. Badge is metal, not plastic, but I am hesitant to remove it and leave a nasty-looking wound on the bag. (That attitude will change the first time it scratches the soft paint on my Gen 3.) Handle is a bit flimsy, but probably strong enough for the iPad and a small Camelback, which are the only planned cargo for this bag.

Touchscreen works well through the plastic window.

Below are the two components side by side. Looks good, and you can see the iPad's Otterbox case. (Fuckingbucket says they rotated the image 180 degrees, but obviously they did not.)

side%20by%20side_zpsznmmtxna.jpg

Below, the iPad and Otterbox case are inside the tankbag window. The upper edge of the Google Map screen -- the green banner that says, "in 25 miles, turn left on US 41" -- is just outside the visible area. Sorry about the dark lighting, but I adjusted it within Fuckingbucket, and (I guess) their link hasn't renewed to the edited photo. You can see a little glare from the plastic window. Hope that isn't an issue in the strong Southern sunshine.

inside_zpsdhepsphj.jpg

It was too late to experiment with potential solutions: use the iPad without the Otterbox (risky, as the tankbag isn't waterPROOF and I will carry a Camelbak in the adjacent compartment); slitting the bottom of the map packet to allow the iPad to slide a little further into the bag; or perhaps something more radical.

I'll ride with it as-is for a while, using the iPad to play music/podcasts and (upon demand) display weather radar. Miss Google can provide voice directions while the displayed image provides visual confirmation if needed.

I have an appointment with the Apple Store to discuss controlling the iPhone from the iPad: dialing, using the contact list to make calls, or displaying the caller's name so I can decide to pick up the call or ignore it. Fear not, fellow travelers, I will refrain from texting or playing games while mounted.

NOW, this last photo is of the instructions. Note the last comment; the one about about dry cleaning:

instuctions_zpsj69ppofu.jpg

lol.gif
Thats the first item I have ever seen that recommended cleaning with snot. Being that its waterproof it should keep the snot out.

Uncle Hud what size Ipad is in the photo? I don't think any part of Georgia is in the 90's yet to see if over heating is an issue but the Camelback may keep it cooler.

iPad size??? Hell, I don't know; it was a Christmas present.

<edit: It's an iPad 4 mini. Apple says it's 9.7 inches, but what does that mean? I've been telling women "9.7 inches" for 45 years.>

FYI: The bag is loudly proclaimed as water RESISTANT, not waterPROOF, and we can all guess why. Somebody cleaned it with snot while their iPad 4 mini was inside.

<edit: It's an iPad 4 mini. Apple says it's 9.7 inches, but what does that mean? I've been telling women "9.7 inches" for 45 years.>

FYI: The bag is loudly proclaimed as water RESISTANT, not waterPROOF, and we can all guess why. Somebody cleaned it with snot while their iPad 4 mini was inside.
My Ipad Air would have more difficulty fitting in the window being 9.4" x 6.6" compared to the Ipad 4 Mini 8" x 5.3"

Too bad somebody didn't give you a ruler for Christmas too.
rolleyes.gif

That last part--so that iPad is really what? about five?

um, sorry Hud.
laugh.png

I use the one that I had on my R1. It's a Yamaha catalog item, not sure which model though. I got it years ago when I bought my 2008 R1. It fits the FJR great and is a great size for day rides.

Here's another. I've always used a tank bag. I also always ride with the side cases and Givi top case mounted. I like to be able to stop and pick up most anything on the bike. (I also keep two sets of Rok Straps criss-crossed across the pillion seat, so I can pick up things like a 50-lb. bag of dog food or whatever. The tank bag is for small and nice-to-have-with-me things, some of them valuable, like my prescription sunglasses.)
On my 3 FJRs I've had one that attached with straps and hooks, one was ring-mounted, one Bagster bag that clipped in to the tank cover, and a couple of magnetic ones. I like the magnets best. Here's why. If I run into a store or somewhere and I won't be able to keep an eye on the bike, I like just sticking the tank bag in the big Givi. Also, it's the easiest--by far--to move out of the way to get gas. (I learned the hard way to put the removed bag up front over the ignition, not back on the tail somewhere, where some dummy might not see it and forget to put it back on and get 20 miles away in a shithole like Pahrump, NV before looking down and . . . well, never mind.) I also like that if I need to make a hard turn for parking or whatever, or even to lock the forks, if the bag's in the way, like big ones sometimes are, it's the easiest type to re-position.

Mine's a fairly inexpensive but fully functional Roadgear bag with a removable map pocket. Worth considering, IMO.
This is why I never use tail bag, once forgot to zip the bag back up and when I got home lost everything in the bag including a brand new cell phone.