FJR Unsuitable for Passenger with Top Box Fitted?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my givi rack. With a homemade adaptor plate the factory Yamaha top case will fit. I'll get some pictures as I get further along.

I got my givi rack. With a homemade adaptor plate the factory Yamaha top case will fit. I'll get some pictures as I get further along.
I am very anxious to see this homemade adaptor!
rolleyes.gif
Waiting for your pictures!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading the subject of the thread and wondered just how much room a passenger would require if (s)he had a top box fitted to them. I guess it would depend on where the top box was attached. To their ass would mean more room in the passenger seat. To their head, not so much.

I'd think a "top box" would have to be head mounted. You know, like a leopard skin pill-box hat?

A box mounted on their ass would definitely be more of a rear mounted trunk. ;)

I ran a SHAD50 topcase and SHAD adapter plate and kit specifically designed for my 2005 FJR, before I sold it. I traveled at least 30,000 miles with that set up, probably 5,000 of which was two up and fully loaded. Never the hint of an issue. On my 2013 FJR, I bought, from the Yamaha dealer, the Yamaha-approved SHAD adpater plate and mounting set up for another SHAD50 top case, also bought from the dealer. It was installed by the dealer. I expect zero problems or failures with or without a passenger. FWIW, I always make a point of loading the topcase with softer, bulky stuff, because I try to avoid tempting fate. Common sense loading should prevail no matter how rugged your rack and topcase fitment. Seems obvious to me.

Any passenger who squirms and fidgets enough to push back continuously on the topcase to stress it or the subframe needs a good talking to, for starters.

It is difficult to imagine that Yamaha would have the SHAD50 topcase listed as an official accessory item and require a compatible mounting kit, only to have it present some unreasonable risk of failure or damage to the bike when it is used. I know corporations get things wrong, but coupled with my uneventful and pleasant experience with SHAD products in general, the fact that SHAD is a prominent OEM supplier in Europe and now, that Yamaha relies on SHAD to provide official hard luggage, I will give them the benefit of any doubt.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/180/532/2366/2013/1/9673/0/0/detail.aspx

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/180/532/2366/2013/1/11362/0/0/detail.aspx

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/180/532/2366/2013/1/6619/0/0/detail.aspx

The SHAD mounting kit leaves the factory grab rails intact on the 2013 and on the 2005 for that matter.

Cheers.

It's great that you haven't had any problems with the OEM accessories rack.

What you don't seem to understand is that your not experiencing a failure doesn't negate the fact that others have failed, which are numerous enough to look at it closer. There will always be a large percentage of the population (the majority?) that "get away with it" for whatever reason. That doesn't mean that it doesn't, or can't happen; It obviously has, and can.

It is easy enough from a design analysis standpoint to see why these castings have failed, and it isn't just from misuse or squirmy passengers. It is a poor design lacking adequate support for the load under the conditions that could reasonably be expected to occur when being used, bouncing down the road.

Furthermore, if it did happen to you, even using the OEM or Shad top cases and mounts, good luck getting Yamaha to step up and replace the subframe. They would simply claim that you overloaded it beyond capacity and you would be on your own.

If you want to put your trust in a clearly inadequate design, then by all means go right ahead. Others may choose to take precautions against the subframe breaking. Everyone is free to make their own choices on what to do with their own bikes.

It's great that you haven't had any problems with the OEM accessories rack.
What you don't seem to understand is that your not experiencing a failure doesn't negate the fact that others have failed, which are numerous enough to look at it closer. There will always be a large percentage of the population (the majority?) that "get away with it" for whatever reason. That doesn't mean that it doesn't, or can't happen; It obviously has, and can.

It is easy enough from a design analysis standpoint to see why these castings have failed, and it isn't just from misuse or squirmy passengers. It is a poor design lacking adequate support for the load under the conditions that could reasonably be expected to occur when being used, bouncing down the road.

Furthermore, if it did happen to you, even using the OEM or Shad top cases and mounts, good luck getting Yamaha to step up and replace the subframe. They would simply claim that you overloaded it beyond capacity and you would be on your own.

If you want to put your trust in a clearly inadequate design, then by all means go right ahead. Others may choose to take precautions against the subframe breaking. Everyone is free to make their own choices on what to do with their own bikes.
Almost any design can be improved without doubt. My experience is that its benefits outweigh its risks. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time. Three years of borrowed time, so far so good. But you make valid points.

Clearly, with a load rating of only 13 lbs the rack is intended for only LIGHT duty. Any top case must have it's weight subtracted from the total load. I don't run a top case but I will guess that leaves almost nothing left. All these discussions of mounts that re-enforce the weak frame are good and use correct engineering principles but no matter which way you slice it, the FJR is a SPORT-touring bike. The general emphasis is on SPORT. if you want to load even a modest 30lbs and have your passenger lean on the rear box, on a stock bike, get a Gold Wing. Yamaha put such a pitiful weight rating on the rear rack for a reason.

All these discussions of mounts that re-enforce the weak frame are good and use correct engineering principles but no matter which way you slice it, the FJR is a SPORT-touring bike. The general emphasis is on SPORT. if you want to load even a modest 30lbs and have your passenger lean on the rear box, on a stock bike, get a Gold Wing. Yamaha put such a pitiful weight rating on the rear rack for a reason.
I disagree. If ever there was an ST bike with the emphasis on Touring it would be the FJR1300. Same idea as with the other shaft drive "SuperSportTouring" bikes (Honda ST, Kawasaki Concours, BMW GT, etc.) At 650 lbs it isn't very sporty compared to the lighter, chain driven ilk of true SPORT touring bikes.

You can load 30 lbs of cargo and a passenger on the FJR no problem. Just get the friggen' Givi SR rack and hit the road. No need to buy a 25k whale (Gold Wing) just to carry the missus and her makeup bag. ;)

You can load 30 lbs of cargo and a passenger on the FJR no problem. Just get the friggen' Givi SR rack and hit the road. No need to buy a 25k whale (Gold Wing) just to carry the missus and her makeup bag.
wink.png
Fred,

Without any misunderstanding,some riders including me we don't like much to see the Givi's design.I don't like to see these metal pipes there instead the oem handle luggage rack..I like to see the oem top trunk with it's backrest..I know,the Givi SR rack is more strong than the oem.Probably with Givi SR you will not see a broken subframe..Perhaps there is a risk with the oem top trunk,but i like to see the oem top trunk there instead the Givi..I believe now with the Garaulds's reinforcement kit for the subframes this issue will be resolved..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Sorry for any misunderstanding..

No misunderstanding, Mihalis. If you are willing to take the risk of putting more than feather pillows in your trunk, then it is all good. Some other owners don't want to take that risk, and instead call "foul" on Mother Yamaha that the rear casting will crack when they use (or perhaps abuse) it this way. I am only offering an alternate means to that end.

Is the Givi rack any less attractive that the stock grab bars? Really?

Not to me. But I guess others have differing sensibilities in these regards.

What specifically is so "attractive" about the stock rack and trunk?

To me, the OEM Yamaha trunk looks really badly. It is an odd shape that doesn't seem to match the lines of the bike well, and doesn't carry nearly enough to boot. I had one, mounted it (including drilling the holes in the rear tail section) and then subsequently got rid of it as fast as I could.

But like I said, everyone has their own tastes. Vive la' difference!

But like I said, everyone has their own tastes. Vive la' difference!
Agree +1
smile.png

ps.

I really like the Givi Top trunk also,especially the E55,but i don't like the SR mounting kit..

I could install the E55 with a universal mounting or with the Shad adapter plate that i have on the three bolts like the OEM..

But with this way you will have the same risk like the OEM top trunk again...

I am definitely in the 'Fred' camp on this one. I have the Givi rack fitted since day one and would not be without it. In fact, I bought a Corbin Smuggler and when I found that it would not fit with the Givi rack, the Smuggler had to go!

OT - from what I've seen, the Givi racks look a lot nicer powdercoated satin black instead of silver...
rolleyes.gif
Has anyone had an issue with subframe cracks when running the GIVI SR357 rack?

I just picked one up to look into modifying the mounting so that no weight is on the rear subframe bulkhead and noticed how freaking heavy it is - almost 8 lbs. The stock one cant be more than 2 or 3 lbs soaking wet.

My idea is to add another mounting point for the rack at the rear seat locking mechanism to reduce the tendency of the rack to want to pivot at the existing under-seat mount. It would be ideal If I could extend the "grab handles" up to this forward point as well. That would reduce flexing/pivoting even more.

My cutting/welding skills are not great - I'm more of an idea guy. I might just draw it up and see if I can hand it off to someone with better fabrication skills.

OT - from what I've seen, the Givi racks look a lot nicer powdercoated satin black instead of silver...
rolleyes.gif
Has anyone had an issue with subframe cracks when running the GIVI SR357 rack?

I just picked one up to look into modifying the mounting so that no weight is on the rear subframe bulkhead and noticed how freaking heavy it is - almost 8 lbs. The stock one cant be more than 2 or 3 lbs soaking wet.

My idea is to add another mounting point for the rack at the rear seat locking mechanism to reduce the tendency of the rack to want to pivot at the existing under-seat mount. It would be ideal If I could extend the "grab handles" up to this forward point as well. That would reduce flexing/pivoting even more.

My cutting/welding skills are not great - I'm more of an idea guy. I might just draw it up and see if I can hand it off to someone with better fabrication skills.

Short answer is no. Nobody has ever reported a rear sub-frame crack when using a Givi SR rack. There have been some Givi racks that themselves cracked (only when severely overloaded over rough roads) but that seems like a good compromise to prevent the sub frame iof the bike from shattering first.

The weight of the rack is not an issue. The issue is the weakness of the design of having a cantilevered tail section supporting a luggage rack made of cast metal. The (heavy gauge) steel pipe Givi rack is the reinforcement you need to keep the cast piece from flexing and shattering, because cast metals are not very flexible and when you do flex them they crack quite easily.

If you are an idea guy, and want to flex your gray matter, then knock yourself out and do what ever feels good. But for about a hundo you can stick a Givi steel pipe SR rack on there and be done with it. As always, YMMV

FWIW I don't think the silver painted rack looks all that bad, at least not on a 1st gen with silver side panels, especially when I consider its functionality. Certainly not as bad looking as some of the other stuff that people do to their bikes.
wink.png