FJR vs CanAm fully loaded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBear

Reaction score
On a whim I decided to try the new CanAm triple with all the bells and whistles. Aside from being a whopping $30k, I think the FJR is 10x the ride at 1/3 the price.

First off the CanAm was gutless off the line and the extra wheel on the ground made it feel unstable especially at high speeds. Never did hit 100mph either.

Fuel economy was way less than my FJR and over all comfort wasn't there. Either.

I really thought a bigger bike (even if it was a trike) would be more comfortable. I could never see me doing a long ride on one of these.

Really really made me appreciate the FJR

Good observation on the bike/trike as you would figure for that kind of money you would get more. Their reliability is no where near the Yamaha either or even in the same zipcode. Like you, will stick with what I have!

One test ride does no good. I've got 13k on a 2015 RTL and am still learning. It's a totally different ride but when mastered a spyder will keep up with all but the best. It doesn't have the comfort of a wing but has a lot more room than a FJR for two up riding and has way more more storage.

I didn't care for the Spyder either, but I drove it when it was in the prototype stage. It handled like an ATV.

I'm told they have gotten much better.

I'm with 'Zilla on this. Comparisons should be on comparable bikes, not a FJR and a Spyder. The 2 wheel vs. 3 wheel, is the first sign that they aren't comparable. Many choose the Spyder for a variety of reasons, but the utmost being...it works for them.

When the time comes, from either health, age, etc.., you can bet I'll be looking at getting one. Probably the RT, though that F3 sure looks badass! :good:

I'm with the camp that feels this is an unfair comparison. Like LKLD I can see considering 3 wheels when age/health dictate that move.

I'd be more interested in hearing about a back to back ride comparing Spyder and say... Harley Davidson trike like their Freewheeler. At least you're closer to an apples to apples compo.

I've actually considered one as a second recreational vehicle. My wife and I test drove my neighbor's RTL (2014 I think) and she really liked the passenger position. Much more than the FJR's. For me, it was a mixed experience. I didn't mind the position so much, but I felt the steering was twitchy. But a 20 minute drive just wasn't enough. I'd need to spend more time driving one before I'd ever pull the trigger on one. I'd like to rent one for a day to get a better feel. But I've yet to find a place that does rentals anywhere close to me.

Joey.

One test ride does no good. I've got 13k on a 2015 RTL and am still learning. It's a totally different ride but when mastered a spyder will keep up with all but the best. It doesn't have the comfort of a wing but has a lot more room than a FJR for two up riding and has way more more storage.
Agree with Ray here ^^

Takes a few hundred miles to really get used to riding a Spyder, especially if you're coming off two wheels. Comparing both rides isn't realistic.

Deb loves ours and that's good for me.

Good observation on the bike/trike as you would figure for that kind of money you would get more. Their reliability is no where near the Yamaha either or even in the same zipcode. Like you, will stick with what I have!
Thank you for understanding. The rest of these folks did not get my comparison at all. I get you cannot accurately compare at Cavalier to a Cadillac. Yet I was curious if $30k would buy me a better ride. And I found out .... not necessarily. It also made me really appreciate the ride I do have

Still working on getting that bike comfortable to you are ya? But then again it is Friday!
It is MUCH better than it was. The Heli bars made the biggest difference. Still need that Russell Day Long customer seat. Many of the suggestions from this forum helped alot

A trike?? Have you not ever heard of a Mustang GT? A lot more awe inspiring than a 3 wheeled excuse for a motorcycle and a bunch more comfortable what with this funny little control on the dash labeled heat/cool. Plus, you don't need to wear a helmet and talk about carrying capacity and passenger comfort. I'm just sayin'..
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and you can even get a convertible. How's that for an open air experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
A trike?? Have you not ever heard of a Mustang GT? A lot more awe inspiring than a 3 wheeled excuse for a motorcycle and a bunch more comfortable what with this funny little control on the dash labeled heat/cool. Plus, you don't need to wear a helmet and talk about carrying capacity and passenger comfort. I'm just sayin'..
rolleyes.gif

A mustang GT? LMFAO

maybe you can tell me why EVERY MUSTANG in a 3 state area feels compelled to "race" me when I am on my FJR?? It's hilarious, yet pathetic...must be something in the water at Ford dealerships that make mustang owners somehow feel they are behind the wheel of an actual sports car and it can magically out perform an FJR.
bike.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
rolleyes.gif

If it has to be explained then you wouldn't get it anyway. JSNS
smile.png

rolleyes.gif

A mustang GT? LMFAO

maybe you can tell me why EVERY MUSTANG in a 3 state area feels compelled to "race" me when I am on my FJR?? It's hilarious, yet pathetic...must be something in the water at Ford dealerships that make mustang owners somehow feel they are behind the wheel of an actual sports car and it can magically out perform an FJR.
bike.gif
lol..lol..I got better sense than to have a go at an FJR in my 'stang..but then again..