FJR vs M109 Susuki

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe since the AE is getting a little scarce in the US, Yamaha will bring them back in the next couple of years. A Gen 3 AE? Now you're talkin'.

Thank you for the compliment, Fred W. WheatonFJR, I retract what I said in my first post. I don't believe that the M109R looks better than the FJR1300, but the M109R definitely gets more attention in public than my FJR1300.

The M109R is designed for short trips. It's a "power cruiser." The 1" sidewall on the rear tire means that comfort SUCKS on long trips. No arguments there. For local cruising, however, it's quite comfortable. The seating position and footpeg position are very easy on my arthritic knees, too.

Fred, as far as trying to look like a Hardley Ableson, ugh, my heart! That hurts. I believe that if you really look at it, you'll realize that's untrue. From the headlight cowl, to the beautiful sleek tank, to the tail cowl, it is designed to be different. In my personal opinion, the only thing that is similar to a Hardley is the fact that it's a V-twin. And I'd choose a 4 cylinder over a twin any day, but it is what it is.

2_zpsvp38onfn.jpg

If I had to choose only 1 bike, I'd choose the FJR1300 over the M109R because it is far more functional. I'm glad that I don't have to make that choice. I also have a VMax, another "Power cruiser", designed for stoplight to stoplight racing. It's a rush to ride that, but again, for touring, it sucks. Someday, I'd probably like to have a new Goldwing or F6B for long trips, too.

My apologies to everyone if you think I am trolling. That's not my intent. I just wanted to have a friendly discussion about the sport I love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you are not trolling.

I love the customization on your M109, I really do. The truth is that the M109 I liked best was the blue one with the white off-center rally stripe. It was a bike that could be ridden and was semi-practical. My favorite thing about the M109, and it was the first of the Metric Cruisers to do this, is that it is not trying to be a Harley. It started its own niche, The Power Cruiser. To agree with Fred, far too many Metric Cruisers start out trying to imitate Harley and then their owners spend thousands in the aftermarket trying to imitate Harley. And they still don't have a Harley.

But here's the thing about the M109, I don't need a power cruiser. Don't want one either. So while it is a motorcycle, and I love motorcycles in general, it is not a motorcycle I would buy. I would happily ride one, but I would give it right back to its owner. This is not because the bike is not appealing and does not look good. It is because of ME.

It is obvious from sales numbers in the United States that Harleys and Metric Cruisers (Honda Davidsons) are the style of bikes that most appeal to the general public.

FJR riders are NOT the general public. We have different needs, different thought processes, and our tastes are different because of this.

I rode a very nice '04 Honda ST1300 for 7 or 8 years. Great bike, no one ever noticed it. When Dad and I rode together, lots of folks came to chat about his '07 FJR. When I got my '15 ES I immediately noticed a difference. Kids on school buses. Mom's in minivans. A curvy senorita in a red Dodge. Lots of folks notice this bike, they wave at this bike, and folks come talk to me about it.

I cannot explain beauty, but I know what it is. To me, with my screwed up perception of the world, the FJR is simply the most beautiful motorcycle built today. YMMV

No problem, and glad that you were not offended by my comments about M109 being a Hardley wannabe.

When it comes right down to it, I do not care very much what my bike(s) looks like. And I really don't care what other folks think about it. I think it is safe to say that no Vstrom owner ever could. Talk about an ugly bike...

100_4721.jpg

But it is beautiful because of the things I can do on it, and the places it will take me, comfortably. I did get one guy that came up to me and said something like "Great looking bike. I like what you did with it." He must be an engineer or something (like me). ;)

Well, after I wash and wax my still new to me FJR, I'll have some photos of that which I can post. :) It's far from perfect, but it's a great ride. (I rode it to work today!)

I've taken no offense to anything anyone has said, again, to me this is just friendly conversation.

I don't know WHY everyone in the US went V-Twin crazy. I actually wanted a more standard bike back in 2008 when I bought the M109R, but could not find anything that fit me as well. I'm really happy that there is a resurgence of straight 4's again, and I hope that it grows.

Wow. Guy likes his bikes. He has the FJR, and likes the looks of a cruiser better (like most people in the U.S.). That's ok. I think my FJR is gorgeous. But I get that many people think my bike is an over-sized sport bike. Whatever.

We're all on two wheels. Beauty in the eye-of-the beholder type of thing.

(And while I'm not a fan of Harleys, I certainly cannot argue with their sales numbers and popularity).

Ride Safe.

Hyperpete: If you were to put both of your bikes on the corner, most of the people would stop and look at the cruiser, no doubt.

Maybe not people from this forum......but then I can't understand why everyone isn't riding a red FJR.

(kidding, I had a 2004 FJR and it was sick hot too).

I am the original poster so I'll give and update. An anti-climatic update, but an update. Co-worker
traded the M109 so no race. He has been through about 4 bikes in the last year. Of course in his
opinion all would out run mine. In reality one of them would have it was a Hayabusa.

Hyperpete- your M109 is very nice. The one I originally posted about was pretty ugly. A funky orange
and yellow paint job and the bike was rough around the edges.

I enjoyed the course of this thread. Interesting to me cause I have both an FJR and still have the
cruiser I rode before the FJR. FJR1300 vs VT1300Honda there is no comparison. FJR is way, way faster.

Here is what I hear when on the bikes:

On the FJR "Nice bike is that a BMW?"
When on the Honda "Nice bike is that a Harley?"

So I guess us FJR guys are just BMW wannabees, like Jap cruiser guys are Harley wannabees. I guess
I am both.

Honestly, I like the way cruisers look and sound. I don't like they way they handle. When it comes down to it, I LOVE my FJR. Looks, performance, reliability, it's a full package. I've never owned a bike this long, and I have no desire to get rid of it. Every time I ride it it reminds me why I love it. With cruisers, I was always looking for an "upgrade" within 18 months.

Still, I helped a guy with a Yamaha Raider change his rear tire the other day. My wife really liked that bike. It was sexy, just not FJR sexy in my opinion. The FJR is not Super Duke GT sexy, or R1 sexy. Each is different, and easy to love for what they are.

I am a "Jap Cruiser" guy. I have a 2004 Honda Sabre. I love that bike. I make too many Harley jokes to be a wannabe. That bike, believe it or not, can turn really well and not just at parking lot speeds. Then again, there is a damned good reason I upgraded to the FJR. We will just call it the Application Mountains.

Floor%20Borads_zpsmqu8rxpg.jpg

Don't take a cow to a race facing 2 Conny's and a Feejer.

Still, I helped a guy with a Yamaha Raider change his rear tire the other day.
I have ridden a few Raiders. I love them and are the only cruisers that I would even remotely consider. My issue with them is they don't hold enough fuel. Recently, Ducati released the X Diavel S. I'm not sure that would be considered a cruiser but I like it. Need to go test ride one...

Love the big power cruisers! I owned a 2004 VTX1800R ... a bike with stump-pulling, ground-pounding torque. If any one of you has not experienced the sheer torque of a muscular V-Twin you are missing out on one of the great things about motorcycles.

03_Retro_1800_14b.jpg

03_Retro_1800_24a.jpg

Also had an awesome 2005 H-D Road King with the Screamin' Eagle Big Bore 103 Stage II Kit. It would really get and go for a Harley. Total bad-assery.

100_0620a.jpg

Wish I could afford to keep and house ALL MY OLD BIKES!!!!

I met a BC rider last year at Ocean Shores, WA. He was traveling with two other riders from BC. He had a M109 that was setup for touring with soft bags and a tank bag. I don't remember the exact mileage now but it was well over 130,000.

I loved my VTX1800R also. It was a great bike. You're right about the torque, that thing had balls. My friends loved it, I loved it, and my wife really loved it. What I didn't love was dragging the foot-boards all the time. I had around 30k on mine when I bought the FJR and I was needing my 3rd set of boards. I had Vance & Hind Big Shots on it, and it sounded awesome!! There wasn't a cruiser around that could keep up with it, but I was sure happy to go to the FJR. Like you, I wish I had the time, money, and space to keep them all.

I would love to ride an 1800 my VT1300 runs good. Pulls good through a long range of RPMS, but I wouldn't describe it as fast or a stump puller.

When they discontinued the VTX1800's, one of the dealers around here had one of the basic models discounted for cheap. I thought about it, but didn't jump. My 2nd bike remains a mint 2001 Honda Shadow 1100. Thing has been dead reliable, no valve adjustments ever needed. Tires and Oil. But man is it slow. It's great for rides to Home Depot or a quick something needed at the grocery store. But I should have jumped on those 1800's when I had the chance.