FJR1300A 2013 or FJR1300A 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 mph.
The '13 cruise control won't set over 80 mph.
Only for the north american version.

For Gazza's home way down under, I am guessing there are no changes other than color. Unless the brakes magically have gotten better.......

Funny thing is, I'm guessing the '13's will be on fire sale pretty much any day now. So unless that cruise control limit (or the color) is a big deal to you, and assuming you are not wanting to pony up the extra $1k for the ES "experiment", why not just buy a '13 and bank the savings for putting more fuel in the tank? ;)

Funny thing is, I'm guessing the '13's will be on fire sale pretty much any day now. So unless that cruise control limit (or the color) is a big deal to you, and assuming you are not wanting to pony up the extra $1k for the ES "experiment", why not just buy a '13 and bank the savings for putting more fuel in the tank?
wink.png
Exactly. And here in Arizona there is no sales tax on private party sales so that is even more of a benefit saving an additional $1,000 or more. Even though I can get a '14 FJR for a discount, there is that low mile '13 FJR for sale in the classifieds section located in your neck of the woods for $12k that is oh-so-tempting.

And I am guessing a relatively cheap ECU reflash could solve the cruise control limit problem and get it even higher than the '14 model's 100mph limit.

As I mentioned in another thread some time ago, I can't understand why Yamaha pulled the rug out from underneath the '13 the way they did with the '14 introduction timing. I sure hope Yamaha only made a short run of the '13 because it sounds like the '14 is what everyone has been waiting for. Even "Give me white or nothing" Iris has gone RED. There should be some good buys on the '13 if you look around.

Not for me. The Stone Gray/Grey is just what I love! Not for everyone, but neither is red. As far as suspension adjustments, I haven't advanced to that point yet. I really couldn't be happier with any other bike, as I am with my '13!

Thanks guys. That makes my descision real easy then for next year. There are a few of the 2013 models in Yamaha dealerships around the country, yes even in NZ, so i might just sit on it till the 2014 comes out. Hell....I new there was so logic discussing this with you lot although judging by some of the comments some of you guys have started celebrating xmas already.

Merry xmas to you all and ride safe.

Regards

Gazz

There was a thread on here, I think, where those of us with the '14 was kidding some of the differences. Those that come to mind initially are:

- Updated right side fairing piece for easier access to battery.

- No mud flap in front of back tire (but the holes to mount one are still there).

- Cruise control can be set up to 100mph.

Actually, the '13 doesn't have the rear inner flap either, it's part # 5JW-21621-10, it cost $12 and took me about 3 seconds to install... I can't figure why Yamaha deleted it from the Gen III's unless it was to save a few bux...

Ah, thanks DS. And actually, my '14ES came with the flap! Maybe the ES had it and just the A's don't.

And I am guessing a relatively cheap ECU reflash could solve the cruise control limit problem and get it even higher than the '14 model's 100mph limit.
I haven't been able to find an ECU flash that will remove or increase the 80 mph cruise limit. I've contacted ECUnleased directly and they don't include this change in their FJR flash. If they did I'd buy it for that reason alone.

If anyone ever finds out a way to do this I'll be first in line to buy it.

I haven't been able to find an ECU flash that will remove or increase the 80 mph cruise limit. I've contacted ECUnleased directly and they don't include this change in their FJR flash. If they did I'd buy it for that reason alone.

If anyone ever finds out a way to do this I'll be first in line to buy it.
Count me in too. I've written Yamaha about this to see if they're willing to remedy to 2013 CC deficiency but haven't heard back yet.

The '13 also has a painted fender except it's a darker shade than the rest and a matte finish. In fact, I think it matches the beak nicely and I (probably in the minority) really like the darker fender.

Oh and the fuel tank trim is the same color as the fuel tank (unlike the '14's that have the silver finish) which suits my fancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The '13 also has a painted fender except it's a darker shade than the rest and a matte finish. In fact, I think it matches the beak nicely and I (probably in the minority) really like the darker fender.
Oh and the fuel tank trim is the same color as the fuel tank (unlike the '14's that have the silver finish) which suits my fancy.
I'm with you. I like the front fender finish and how it matches the fairing's batwings.

I think the '14 has a beautiful shade of red. Better in person that in pics. And even though I like shiny things (had an orange triumph) I prefer my '13 color to the '14. But many feel otherwise. The ONLY reason I want a '14 is for the 100 mph cruise.