FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice to see Yamaha doing something but it doesn't do anything for Gen 1 bikes. Mine left me dead on the way to Park City and on the way home. The relay is a good idea (did mine a couple years ago) but does nothing to keep the the switch from failing mechanicaly. It does reduce the electrical load to almost nothing but if the wires come off the switch like many have reported you are still dead in the water. It would be nice to see a switch that had a better way of securing the wiring.

As an owner of a 2008 model this looks like good news to me.

They must have found a correctable defect in the switches since they also included some 2009 models.

I would assume later 2009 models are being corrected on the assembly line.

Barabus, Checkwrecks, Skooter, all the others that contributed to a knowledgebase of information that official action could be taken. You all rock! :yahoo:

Yes, it seems patently obvious, excruciatingly slow, yet the community and world wouldn't have this official recall and follow-on actions if it hadn't done things with due diligence.

I think I'll install Brodies harness and forget about the recall switch replacement at this time. ( on my '08) :glare: If and when I should have a switch failure, I'll deal with it (Y.E.S.) at that point.

I think I know what causes most of the switch failures. I have no idea if Yamaha's recall/fix addresses the issue or not. I shared my thoughts with Yamaha a few months ago, but never received confirmation or acknowledgment of my theory. Who knows, perhaps it fell into File-13 or the lunatic owner bin.

The air flow package/fairing changes in Gen-II cause the weep hole in the bottom of the switch assembly to work "backward". Moisture and road splooge is being forced upward and into the switch. This was not so much of a problem on Gen-I because of the difference in air flow, specifically in that area.

Anyone using the switch contacts for additional electrical loads, over and above the OEM config, accelerate the failure. As dirt and contaminants combined with an increased current load quickly cook the insides of the switch.

If Yamaha is NOT replacing the bag locks to match the new switch, then I'll try to opt for taking the switch and doing the recall myself when it becomes a "must do". In the meantime, I think I have a service method that when used regularly, wards off the failure.

Like others, I've been using electronics cleaner from auto supply stores to flush the switch assembly. I then follow up with silicone spray, directed as much as possible to the inner-upper portions (key lock) area of the switch assembly. You would be amazed at how much crud comes washing out the bottom of a switch that hasn't been cleaned in a month or two.

I verified my theory by flushing/lubing a switch, paying close attention to what came out onto a white shop towel. Then taking a few rides in the rain with road spray etc. A couple days later a repeat flush & lube service produced an entirely new batch of crud from the switch. The same stuff was splattered all around the bottom area of the switch on the outer surfaces in that area. I'm convinced. Guess now we'll see what Yamaha has to say about it too.

When I did the ECU recall I tried to have the dealer give me the part to change myself, they refused. I fear the IS recall might be the same, is there a some kind of trick to getting them to let you do the recall swap yourself?

I've had one replaced already and not holding my breath to get reimbursement on that. If they offer another new switch, I'll take it as payment for my first replacement. I know some of you don't like the idea of two keys. I didn't think I would like it either, but actually, it doesn't bother me at all.

I am excited about Yamaha stepping up and replacing our switches. Not many companies do that anymore. Wish it was a little sooner though. Kudos and thank you to all who helped get this done.

Fred

I think I know what causes most of the switch failures. I have no idea if Yamaha's recall/fix addresses the issue or not. I shared my thoughts with Yamaha a few months ago, but never received confirmation or acknowledgment of my theory. Who knows, perhaps it fell into File-13 or the lunatic owner bin.
The air flow package/fairing changes in Gen-II cause the weep hole in the bottom of the switch assembly to work "backward". Moisture and road splooge is being forced upward and into the switch. This was not so much of a problem on Gen-I because of the difference in air flow, specifically in that area.

Anyone using the switch contacts for additional electrical loads, over and above the OEM config, accelerate the failure. As dirt and contaminants combined with an increased current load quickly cook the insides of the switch.

If Yamaha is NOT replacing the bag locks to match the new switch, then I'll try to opt for taking the switch and doing the recall myself when it becomes a "must do". In the meantime, I think I have a service method that when used regularly, wards off the failure.

Like others, I've been using electronics cleaner from auto supply stores to flush the switch assembly. I then follow up with silicone spray, directed as much as possible to the inner-upper portions (key lock) area of the switch assembly. You would be amazed at how much crud comes washing out the bottom of a switch that hasn't been cleaned in a month or two.

I verified my theory by flushing/lubing a switch, paying close attention to what came out onto a white shop towel. Then taking a few rides in the rain with road spray etc. A couple days later a repeat flush & lube service produced an entirely new batch of crud from the switch. The same stuff was splattered all around the bottom area of the switch on the outer surfaces in that area. I'm convinced. Guess now we'll see what Yamaha has to say about it too.
It was road crap that killed the switch on my 03 in Wyoming on the way to WFO. When I got home I took it all apart and drilled the screws out of the switch and the road crud had built up to the point that the srring loaded contacts were frozen in place. Cleaned it out and lubed it with dieletric. After assy. I sealed the hole and it has been good since. I made my own relay harness at that time because the contacts were showing signs of overload.

The letter from Yamaha N.A. states that the letters to owners and technical bulletin to shops should go out on January 28th.

https://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...09V002-7020.pdf

Many thanks to those of you who made the effort to report failures. So far, I've been lucky, but I do carry both a jumper mod and a spare ignition with me at all times.

It is possible for the dealer to re-key the new ignition to match the old one (and rest of the bike). I intend to make sure that's part of the plan before I have mine swapped out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bout time yamaha. At least they did react (listening BMW?)

I also want to thank all those here who compiled info and who also reported the problem. You made this happen!

As for the key issue, if you are having trouble getting to one key, or you already have 2 keys, try what my service guy did. The locks only use one edge of the key. My guy cut a couple of new keys with the old profile on one edge and the new profile on the other. I then can use my "one" key almost just like before. I just have to be aware of orientation. Very easy to do.

Love my feej!

paul from Minnesota

Well I never thought when I reported my switch failure that it might matter... but nice to see the cumulative effects of those small actions and the larger efforts of those on this forum that investigated the problems and fixes available made a difference. Kudos to those that pulled apart failed switches, reported result and suggested ways to avoid future problems!

I think I'll wait to see if there is a different design to the new switches -- if so I'll order one as a spare in case the replacement with Brodie's loom (being installed among other work today) fails again. I won't hold my breath for a refund on the switch I had to buy in August; it would be nice if Yamaha did, but business is business. And now that the local Yamaha dealership closed last month, I see less hope of anybody arguing the case for me.

On a positive note, I finally on Saturday had a local locksmith grind ONE KEY from my new and old ignition keys. I can open all locks and turn the ignition with one key now again. He notched the top of the key so I can insert it correctly every time. I don't even have to flip the key for different locks. Cost was $5.

Again, great to be part of a community that makes riding our preferred mount so enjoyable, safe and fun. Thanks to administrators, Brodie, Jestal, Ion and so many others who make this a great place to be. :drinks: :yahoo:

This forum is amazing and awesome. So many bright, energetic, committed individuals makes for a powerful collective. Just right on top of everything. Within hours of the bulletin, it was posted here along with other supporting documentation. No wonder many dealers hate the Internet: we know more than they do and know it BEFORE they do. We are able to stay in Motorcycle mental mode even though the bike is stowed with the battery tender for a couple more months. Keep up the good work, all! Thanks!

I think I'll install Brodies harness and forget about the recall switch replacement at this time. ( on my '08) :glare: If and when I should have a switch failure, I'll deal with it (Y.E.S.) at that point.
My thoughts exactly.

:beach:

When I emailed my congressman after visiting with him at a breakfast meeting one day I referenced the FJR forum. He told me he made several calls and forwarded the email to them. He did say he had a hard time finding out who was in charge of the recall issues. I had not heard back from him since and I was begining to wonder if he really did, but maybe he did after all. I am glad Yamaha stepped up and did it. I am going to have to take my mechanic at the yamaha shop aside and ask him to overlook the rely mod when they put on the switch. My shop had not heard about it and it was not on their computer as of yet.

Bout time yamaha. At least they did react (listening BMW?)
Let's clarify this point because I think it's important to understand how this recall fits into how past FJR issues have been handled.

Yamaha did react to this one because there was the force of government behind it. It being a formal recall wasn't as a result of Yamaha coming to this point all by themselves. I do think it did come to a head though in significant part by the quality research and reporting done by folks like by Barabus. That in turn then made it a more compelling case and more timely in action.

Contrast that with say the BMW final drives. I don't think anybody in their user community did the detailed analysis and reporting that was done on this and they DEFINITELY haven't come even close to concensus. Many BMW folks are still in denial. If they were actually to come to a consensus......they could likely get the same action.

Then also view this on a continuum of resolution scale. This, unfortunately, fits more on the "Yamaha Got Armtwisted Into Having to Do Something" end. I think we'd much rather have been it be on the "Yamaha Did the Right Thing and Proactively Fixed Things" more like the Throttle Position Sensor issue.....or at least the "Yamaha Will Do the Right Thing and Fix Those Bikes That Are Asked By Owners" slot...like the ticker issue.

Sigh. Maybe the next one...... ;)

So, in large part I'm saying that this issue is third of four significant issues identified by this forum...with most of them resolved. We should be very proud in what we've done to contribute to the continued health and well-being of a great motorcycle. :yahoo:

FJRF001 - Valve Ticking / Premature Exhaust Valve Guide Seal Issue (Gen I Bikes) (Fixed since 2006)

FJRF002 - Throttle Abruptness Issue (Gen II Bikes) (Most use G2 Ergo Throttle Tube)

FJRF003 - Ignition Failure (Approaching Resolution)

FJRF004 - Altitude Sickness (2006/2007 Bikes) (Fixed for 2008)

Just got off the phone with my Dealer and no word on the recall. I ordered a set of PR2s ($299.99 mounted) and will have the switch replaced at the same time.How can I afford to pay such a high price for rubber?

Got a JOB last night. :yahoo:

With the recall, you would think it would be safe to assume that a "new/revised" switch will be installed. :unsure:

Capt Bob congrats on the new job you deserve it. Now do me a favor FIX THAT DARN BOAT!! :dribble: :dribble:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to getting Yamaha to finally resolve this issue! You all rock!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

With the recall, you would think it would be safe to assume that a "new/revised" switch will be installed. :unsure:
FYI from a previous post....the new switch I orderd/paid/rec'd from Mondak Motor Sports in DEC did have an updated part number...this was my first clue that there would be action on Yamaha's side....basically admitting the original part was n/g

When I did the ECU recall I tried to have the dealer give me the part to change myself, they refused. I fear the IS recall might be the same, is there a some kind of trick to getting them to let you do the recall swap yourself?
Depends on the dealer. The parts manager handed me the replacement ECU and I put it in at home. Then again, my local dealer went out of business last month.

Well as usual Yamaha Canada will pretend that there isn't a problem here and ignore us completely. I expect a "never heard of it" when I ask. That's what they told me last summer when my switch started to act up.

Oh well, I have a Brodie harness and did the switch repair so now I wait till spring and all should be fine.

Great news, I just hope they give some thought to the key issue. I will not give up using one key for my bike, seat and bags, and I sure hope Yamaha sees that as the way it should be and works the fix around that. Time will tell.