FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks to those of you who made the effort to report failures. So far, I've been lucky, but I do carry both a jumper mod and a spare ignition with me at all times.It is possible for the dealer to re-key the new ignition to match the old one (and rest of the bike). I intend to make sure that's part of the plan before I have mine swapped out.
I have had my switch replaced and re-keyed by Yamaha twice before. I have no doubt that I will end up with one key on their dime yet again.

Ignacio, you are correct. Yamaha was in denial and we all know they had to know of the problem. It was a formal complaint , investigation ( with much help from the Forum's documentation) that the Government said fix it. This is not a case of altruism on the part of Yamaha ( why not the EU or Canada?) They will fix it right I have no doubt. If not the litigation doors would be wide open.

I told my dealer of this possible TSB for the ignition and they just shake their heads and come back with "don't belive everything you read on the net".

Just like the time I told them about the recalls/TSB on TPS for my R-1. :angry: :angry:

That's twice now :angry: ! Nice guys but I just get a little aggitated when they never listen. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up and to all who's effort the rest of us will benifit from............ Cheers :drinks:

I have not had a problem with the ignition switch on my 06. However, I am with HaulinAshe on the

possibility that road spuge is entering the switch through the weep hole due to the airflow pattern

around the steering head.

Soooo I put a diaper on my switch. Took a piece of an old black T shirt, doubled it over and brought

it up and around the switch housing and zip-tied in place. You have to look hard to even notice it there.

So now the switch breathes filtered air. Keeps the shit out not in. Don't know if it will help but can't hurt.

It will be interesting to see if Yam's new switch has a different weep hole design.

To think I bought all those extra toggle switches for nothing....

To think I bought another 50 sets of Harness components for... :blink:

It will be interesting to see what was changed on the recall switch. Hopefully the bikes original key will be retained.

I'm glad Yamaha is finally addressing this issue.

Brodie

You guys can say that Yamaha dragged their feet all you want, but truth be told, they still had to DESIGN a new switch. To me, that tells me that they took the information seriously, went through the design and testing process, and once the fix was permanent, they came out with a recall.

To "prove" my point, notice that they didn't respond to the government with, "We acknowledge that you say there's a problem, but we don't have a solution yet."

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new switch guts look like. Now, if SockMonkey was correct in his assessment, maybe the design is exactly the same, but the soldering process has been corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
To think I bought all those extra toggle switches for nothing....

To think I bought another 50 sets of Harness components for... :blink:

It will be interesting to see what was changed on the recall switch. Hopefully the bikes original key will be retained.

I'm glad Yamaha is finally addressing this issue.

Brodie
New switch or not, I'm still going with your relay.

I told my dealer of this possible TSB for the ignition and they just shake their heads and come back with "don't belive everything you read on the net".
Yeah... especially stuff from NHTSA. What do those dopes know. And it isn't going to be a TSB (which is optional) it will be a recall. Personally, if some bike shop wankers tried to give me that line of BS I'd let them know that the stuff I read on the internet, specifically here on the FJRForum, has more credibility than they do. Maybe they should get on the internet more often?

Now I can leave both old keys in the bag locks (cut down and knobbed) and not have to turn off the bike every time I forgot something in the bags!

By the way, no info from Yamaha to dealers yet.

(...)I'm looking forward to seeing what the new switch guts look like. Now, if SockMonkey was correct in his assessment, maybe the design is exactly the same, but the soldering process has been corrected.
I'm hoping this is NOT the only aspect of the problem they are targeting. If so, then I'm confident that switch failures will continue to occur.

One of the first rules of troubleshooting is, "If you have a problem that cannot be readily located, you are probably looking for two problems that mask each other."

I'm betting that there were problems BOTH with the soldering attachment points and the weep hole.

You guys can say that Yamaha dragged their feet all you want, but truth be told, they still had to DESIGN a new switch. To me, that tells me that they took the information seriously, went through the design and testing process, and once the fix was permanent, they came out with a recall.

How much design and testing can there possibly be on an ignition switch?? Every bike, car, and numerous pieces of motorized equipment that I've ever owned in the past 35 years has had an ignition switch that worked just fine...never had one fail. Unlike the Yami switch which shit the bed on me twice.

I'm on Brodie's January run list and I have no intention of canceling my order. I have an '07A with about 10K miles and so far no switch problems: However, I think adding the "Brodie Mod" will be a smart move regardless of what Yamaha may do.

I am interested to see the difference in the recall switch vs. the original and if in fact there is an improvement in the way dust/moisture are flushed/drained.

Thanks to all of you who had a problem and took the extra steps to get it fixed for us old guys. This is a great forum and the main reason I bought my FJR (my first Yamaha in 48 years of riding).

OBD

Off topic a little bit...but the recall covers something like 9300 units. How many FJR's get sold each year?

Now I can leave both old keys in the bag locks (cut down and knobbed) and not have to turn off the bike every time I forgot something in the bags!By the way, no info from Yamaha to dealers yet.

Or you could just make copies of your original key so that you would have spares to leave in the bags <_<

I have tried to follow as close as I could, all the various threads on this subject.

I can't recall (or maybe its just implied) if Yamaha ever used this switch on other model bikes.

Since I couldn't remember anyone mentioning this, I did a quick search and came up with this. Clicky

I cross checked some of the models with the parts fiche(sp) from our FAQ page and the numbers match.

I wonder if there have been failures with those various models like what we are seeing? :unsure:

If not, is it our bike itself that causes the failures with excessive voltage, dirt slinging or whatever?

I know this guess was put on the table sometime ago...a bad batch of switches.

I'm putting money on the last, though the dirt is a strong force. We've seen failure to start from aggressive washing and I wonder if there is a common denominator amongst those that have reported failure.

Road conditions, farkle installs or even how the bike is stored day to day (inside/outside, covered or not).

Whatever the outcome, it should be interesting and hopefully prove some of the thoughts correct.

Off topic a little bit...but the recall covers something like 9300 units. How many FJR's get sold each year?
They don't release that information to the public. We have estimated in the various Bin O' Facts sections. However, somebody who is enterprising enough might be able to deduce more specific information by wading through recall information and range it. You wanna volunteer and report back so we can have an answer to this commonly asked question?

How much design and testing can there possibly be on an ignition switch?? Every bike, car, and numerous pieces of motorized equipment that I've ever owned in the past 35 years has had an ignition switch that worked just fine...never had one fail. Unlike the Yami switch which shit the bed on me twice.

Yamaha 'knows' how to make a ignition switch, just like they know how to make a ECU, throttle

position sensor, or valve guides. The question becomes how cheaply can it be made to get the job

done. Sometimes they get burnt.

While I am glad Yamaha has stepped up and attempted to fix the problem I am cautiously optimistic.......... <_<

I just called Yamaha customer service and they are telling me that no such recall has been issued (typical). I then inquire about a "hypothetical" ignition switch recall and what Yamaha would do about the keys for the bike not matching the bags. I was told that it would not be possible to match the ignition keys to the bikes bags, tank etc....

I for one, WILL NOT accept a 'fix' from Yamaha that doesn't address ALL of the keys matching. Unless Yamaha throws out all if the tumblers they are using (which doesnt seem likely) there is no reason that your dealer shouldn't be able to request an ignition switch with the same code cut as the rest of your bike. If not, then they should pay to have the rest of the locks re-keyed.

I seriously doubt anyone would allow Toyota, GM, Ford etc... to 'fix' their DEFECTIVE ignition on their car and then hand them a different key for customer to use one for the ignition and another for your doors, trunk etc....

Hopefully I'm just venting and the rep I spoke to just doesn't know what he is talking about

The reason your dealers don't know anything about this recall is because as noted here:

The letter from Yamaha N.A. states that the letters to owners and technical bulletin to shops should go out on January 28th.https://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...09V002-7020.pdf
...they have not yet been notified. Give them a chance to get the thing out before you condemn them.

The reason your dealers don't know anything about this recall is because as noted here:

The letter from Yamaha N.A. states that the letters to owners and technical bulletin to shops should go out on January 28th.https://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...09V002-7020.pdf
...they have not yet been notified. Give them a chance to get the thing out before you condemn them.

I'm willing to give them a chance........but this was Yamaha CORPORATE (US) that told me this