FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing the off topic drift -- I have one key in the ignition, a second key in my riding pant's pocket for gas & luggage use, plus my wife has her own key so she can be 'self serving' with the luggage. In addition I've got an emergency key hidden -- well, that's between me & the key :lol:

I would consider a making a double sided key to avoid having to carry two different keys for different items. Heck, I re-keyed my helmet locks to match my ignition key to avoid the two key syndrome.

In the end it's a personal choice, there is no one right answer that suits everyone.

I dissembled mine and re soldered the wires just in case. I'm wondering what the fix will be???
You may not be out of the woods with that fix. Hopefully the new ignition switch will be available at the beginning of February and available in the necessary quantity.

You may want to take a look at this.

(....) Wonder when the document for the affected Vin # can be located/read?
Alfred
Alfred, I believe we European owners are not affected.

The design of our ignition switch (unlike the US-Spec model) contains an immobilizer and is significantly different.

AFAIK, there are no reported incidents of the kind described in the recall notice affecting Euro-type FJRs.

Stef.
Hey Stef

I appreciate your feedback, but my bike is a US spec model and that is why I am following this thread. I brought the bike with me from the US (household move).

Hopefully my VIN # is not involved, but I'll see if I can locate a specific VIN # list as soon as it's available through NTSB...

Alfred

Hey Stef I appreciate your feedback, but my bike is a US spec model and that is why I am following this thread. I brought the bike with me from the US (household move).

Hopefully my VIN # is not involved, but I'll see if I can locate a specific VIN # list as soon as it's available through NTSB...

Alfred
It is not going to be VIN specific. This ignition switch is in ALL bikes delivered to the US, so it will be involved sorry to say.

Hey Stef I appreciate your feedback, but my bike is a US spec model and that is why I am following this thread. I brought the bike with me from the US (household move).

Alfred
It is not going to be VIN specific. This ignition switch is in ALL bikes delivered to the US, so it will be involved sorry to say.
Well, true for Alfred's bike. The recall is supposed to apply to all 2008s but only early 2009's, so there will likely be a VIN number cut-off on the 2009's.

You're right. That's what I meant. I saw he had an 08, and all 08's are affected. Well, all US 08's that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. That's what I meant. I saw he had an 08, and all 08's are affected. Well, all US 08's that is.
That makes me wonder whether I can get a replacement switch from a dealer or not and if I should not even bother if my switch does not act up...

Alfred

That makes me wonder whether I can get a replacement switch from a dealer or not and if I should not even bother if my switch does not act up...

Alfred
It's a gamble either way. I had no reason to expect mine to go out, but it did. It's a crap shoot for which bike has problems vs which ones don't. My suggestion would be hook up with Brodie and get one of his plug and play relay system for the switch in the interim.

Alfred
It's a gamble either way. I had no reason to expect mine to go out, but it did. It's a crap shoot for which bike has problems vs which ones don't. My suggestion would be hook up with Brodie and get one of his plug and play relay system for the switch in the interim.
I'm a real imbecile regarding an attempt to replace or tinker with the ignition switch. I would take the replacement switch to a dealer around here across the border (15 miles down the road from here) in Germany and have them install it. My question is, can I tell my daughter in Las Vegas to contact a dealer and get the switch for me if she provides my VIN # and if they know it's a recall part?

I'm a real imbecile regarding an attempt to replace or tinker with the ignition switch. I would take the replacement switch to a dealer around here across the border (15 miles down the road from here) in Germany and have them install it. My question is, can I tell my daughter in Las Vegas to contact a dealer and get the switch for me if she provides my VIN # and if they know it's a recall part?

You might be able to get the switch and the recall replacement done by your German dealer. I'm sure you don't have the only U.S. spec FJR in Europe.

It is nice to see Yamaha doing something but it doesn't do anything for Gen 1 bikes. Mine left me dead on the way to Park City and on the way home. The relay is a good idea (did mine a couple years ago) but does nothing to keep the the switch from failing mechanicaly. It does reduce the electrical load to almost nothing but if the wires come off the switch like many have reported you are still dead in the water. It would be nice to see a switch that had a better way of securing the wiring.
Perhaps NHTSA has an appeal process that would allow you to request an amending of the recall to include more model years? Anybody know?

Brodie , Due to the down turn in the economy,and the new ignition switch recall. We regret to inform you that your position will be eliminated,and effective as of right now. You are laid off!!!! LOL just Kidding

Brodie's fix doesn't mess with the original ignition switch. All you have to learn how to do is remove the tank if I remember correctly. The rest is plug and go using the existing harness that is under the tank.

Brodie's fix doesn't mess with the original ignition switch. All you have to learn how to do is remove the tank if I remember correctly. The rest is plug and go using the existing harness that is under the tank.
Actually, I bought a left switch cluster from a Euro-spec FJR and there is a difference in plugs. While it may just been because of model year differences, make sure the dealer checks that the one you're getting is like the one you have, before you pay for expensive parts. Personally, if I couldn't get a new switch via the recall, I'd just go with Brodie's relay and be happy.

btw, the NTSB has nothing to do with this. They do airplanes in rivers, train wrecks, and that sorta thing. It's NHTSA you want.

Actually, I bought a left switch cluster from a Euro-spec FJR and there is a difference in plugs. While it may just been because of model year differences, make sure the dealer checks that the one you're getting is like the one you have, before you pay for expensive parts. Personally, if I couldn't get a new switch via the recall, I'd just go with Brodie's relay and be happy.

btw, the NTSB has nothing to do with this. They do airplanes in rivers, train wrecks, and that sorta thing. It's NHTSA you want.
Thanks for the answers and yes I noticed after posting that it is NHTSA...maybe I'll visit Stef in Italy and maybe he's willing to give me a hand for installing Brodie's fix...did ya hear me Stefano? Might join him anyway for the ride to Istanbul in May..sounds like a lot of fun

Bout time yamaha. At least they did react (listening BMW?)
Let's clarify this point because I think it's important to understand how this recall fits into how past FJR issues have been handled.

<...>

Contrast that with say the BMW final drives. I don't think anybody in their user community did the detailed analysis and reporting that was done on this and they DEFINITELY haven't come even close to concensus. Many BMW folks are still in denial. If they were actually to come to a consensus......they could likely get the same action.
I'm no BMW apologist but your assumption about the user community is incorrect. The K1200LT forum (bmwlt.com) has been tracking FD failures since 2001 at least. Including detailed statistical analysis, NHTSA sign up campaigns, and a near constant barrage of any and all factory reps that could be reached. All for naught but not from a lack of trying or consensus

In fact, check out the "failure pending detector" developed by one of the LT crowd:

FD_Failure_Warning.JPG

Supposed to pick up bearing cage pieces and alert the rider with a warning light. Too funny!

Ok folks, as of close of biz today still no word from Yamaha on the Dealer/Service site. I'll keep checking it everyday till we see something and let ya know. I got all my parts to make the Brodie harness and will install it tomorrow if the weather stays nice.