FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Forum to members who reported their ignition switch failures. A visit to the NHSTA's web page to read the recall announcement I noted in further research, that FJRForum was stated as a source of information leading to their decision to investigate this issue. Amazing that Yamaha announced the recall at the same time an investigation was about to commence!

Ok folks, as of close of biz today still no word from Yamaha on the Dealer/Service site. I'll keep checking it everyday till we see something and let ya know. I got all my parts to make the Brodie harness and will install it tomorrow if the weather stays nice.
You're probably right about the dealer not yet knowing, because if you check post #28 you'll see that word is supposed to go out on January 28. The relay is still a positive in getting current (heat) out of the switch.

Ok folks, as of close of biz today still no word from Yamaha on the Dealer/Service site. I'll keep checking it everyday till we see something and let ya know. I got all my parts to make the Brodie harness and will install it tomorrow if the weather stays nice.
You're probably right about the dealer not yet knowing, because if you check post #28 you'll see that word is supposed to go out on January 28. The relay is still a positive in getting current (heat) out of the switch.
Just an update from Minneapolis. I called 2 dealers today to see if I could get the switch warrantied before I head out for Daytona via Arkansas end of Feb. Neither one knew anything about a recall. I guess I'll just have to be patient. Ride on!

Hello,

I had my 08 fjr in for service, dry clutch plate issues. Jan 23, I asked about the ignition switch recall after reading Yamaha recall letter. I talked to Brad Franklin (Yamaha gov relations manager). Brad told me to contact dealer service manager and have him contact MI zone rep about the recall and possible parts. Brad stated the MI zone rep may not know about the recall; if that happened the service manager should call him and parts might be found.

MI zone rep said a recall did not exist and the service manager did not follow up with with a phone call to Brad Franklin. The service manager believed I was

fabricating the recall and asked for copies. Jan 24, I picked up my fjr and gave the service manager copies of Yamaha and NHTSA recall letters.

Good luck getting your fjr serviced.

BILL

I am scheduled to go in for my recall fix on 1-28 and the only thing that could delay this is if the part is not in my then. They had to do some extra digging because it was not on the Yamaha site yet. They also stated that Yamaha told them it was not safe to opperate the bike until this fix was done.

Did you get any indication of what the actual "fix" to the switch is?
She said they would know everything on 1-28 and they could not even tell if there was a part that needed to be replaced until then. They were very serious about me not riding the bike in fact they walked it out to me rather than ride it like they always do.

She said they would know everything on 1-28 and they could not even tell if there was a part that needed to be replaced until then. They were very serious about me not riding the bike in fact they walked it out to me rather than ride it like they always do.

So what did you do?

Push it home?

:(

So what did you do?

Push it home?

:(
I laughed as I got on the bike and they reminded me it was unsafe to ride. I needed tires so I rode the bike to another shop about 1 mile from their shop to have new tires put on the bike with the angled stems and then rode it home. I will ride it back to the shop on the 28th and leave it there until it gets fixed before I put anymore miles on it. As long as everything is done and ready to go by April 1st I am good to go. That is when I have some trips scheduled where I will be putting some real miles on the bike again.

I'm very curious about the fix Yamaha has designed. I now no longer have a dealer in town and it would mean a long trip for a recall. And I already have a replaced switch and the ignition harness fix in place. I'm not alone with this conundrum -- leave it alone or give Yamaha a chance to do it right. I'll also be interested in what other people choose to do.

I'm very curious about the fix Yamaha has designed.

Me Too !

I'm no pro here but it Sounds like heavier spring & contact plates are in order ? Has anyone considered a time frame for the work to be done ? that is with the new part in hand ! at that point looks like something you could wait on, maybe 1 or 2 hours to swap ignitions ?

Any mechanics or someone that hes performed this task with a suggested time for work to be complete

later he reads And

OK now I see and like Brodie's idea

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
...They also stated that Yamaha told them it was not safe to opperate the bike until this fix was done.
Yesterday: We have never heard of any ignition switch problems and there is no recall from Yamaha. (Go away, you are bothering us.)

Today: OMG, don't operate your FJR because it is unsafe to ride until the ignition switch is repaired.

:lol: What a difference a day makes.

Just been advised that the ignition switch fix will be for the bottom half of the unit. As I undersatnd thus far, the key portion will not need to be re-keyed.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Ride Safe,

Taff.

Just been advised that the ignition switch fix will be for the bottom half of the unit. As I undersatnd thus far, the key portion will not need to be re-keyed.

Ride Safe,

Taff.
If that is actually the case, it seems like the best possible solution for the "one key" crowd. Now to determine what they actually did to improve the bottom half of the switch unit...

I'm very curious about the fix Yamaha has designed. I now no longer have a dealer in town and it would mean a long trip for a recall. And I already have a replaced switch and the ignition harness fix in place. I'm not alone with this conundrum -- leave it alone or give Yamaha a chance to do it right. I'll also be interested in what other people choose to do.

I intend to ignore the recall for the time being. I repaired the switch (resoldered wire joints and fixed the plastic contact plate) and installed a relay into the ignition line. So I don't see the value of allowing the yamaha shop to tear into my electricals. Sure would be nice to get some kind of payback for time and parts that I spent on the pre-recall repair, but I doubt that will fly...

Replacing the bottom of the unit sounds right. That is the part with the suspected "cold soldered" wire joints. The big question is are they going to add a relay, ala Brodie...?

Ride Safe,

Taff.
If that is actually the case, it seems like the best possible solution for the "one key" crowd. Now to determine what they actually did to improve the bottom half of the switch unit...

As a member of the "one key" crowd I'm pleased that this is their solution. Now I just have to wait for that switch portion before I install the Heli triple clamp sitting on my bench. No point in doing the work twice; the bike's not going anywhere with this New York winter.

Forgot to mention that new security bolts will be included in the ignition switch kit.

If I find out anything else regarding the kit etc then I will post up!

Ride Safe,

Taff.

Forgot to mention that new security bolts will be included in the ignition switch kit.

Ride Safe,

Taff.
I wonder if you can get them to not put security bolts in?

Ride Safe,

Taff.
I wonder if you can get them to not put security bolts in?
Probably not officially. If they didn't follow Yamaha's instructions, they could then be taking on some liability. Anyway, if the fix actually does um, fix, the problem, I'd want the security bolts put back.

Well folks, it's the 28th and I just got off the Yamaha Dealer site and no word yet on the recall. I'll check again tomorrow morning as they sometimes post things around 2am our time. Since we just got 4 inches of snow and an inch of sleet today, I'm not to worried about riding anyway. COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!