FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume that means that the replacement harness then has the fix built it. It it does not, then the NHTSA certainly will not approve the fix.

No, the instructions say to check the harness and, if not damaged, add the new additional harness. If the original harness IS damaged, it says replace it AND ADD the new additional harness as well.
Yep! That is exactly what my dealer told me 30 minutes ago. If there is even one ground with a little damage, They will replace it with an entirely new Harness.

If there is No Damage, They just add an additional Sub Harness. But, he did say that in addition to installing the Sub Harness, They do a few other things. :)

He didn't elaborate on what those few other things were.

He told me he ordered 5 recall kits. I told him that I wanted to be the THIRD one on the list! :unsure:

He laughed and told me that would be around Wednesday of next week. :D

It appears I may be one of the first ( maybe the first ? ) to have the "Fix" installed on my bike. It's scheduled to arrive next Tuesday at my dealer.

My AE is in the shop and apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do, the Ae also has the "stuck in first gear shift" issue and it also won't start or crank, so Cypress said they are expediting the new " recall part " ahead of schedule to try to resolve the issues.

My spiders are all in fine shape with Brodie's harness just installed, so I'm not sure how the new part will resolve anything, but I'll keep you guys updated. I also asked the tech to call me when the part arrives and I'll try to take some pics etc and post up the info.
Any news? What did the dealer do/say about the Brodie harness? I've got the same bike and Brodie harness as you do
Yo Dik, he just posted this info yesterday. And the parts aren't scheduled to arrive until Tuesday. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears I may be one of the first ( maybe the first ? ) to have the "Fix" installed on my bike. It's scheduled to arrive next Tuesday at my dealer.

My AE is in the shop and apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do, the Ae also has the "stuck in first gear shift" issue and it also won't start or crank, so Cypress said they are expediting the new " recall part " ahead of schedule to try to resolve the issues.

My spiders are all in fine shape with Brodie's harness just installed, so I'm not sure how the new part will resolve anything, but I'll keep you guys updated. I also asked the tech to call me when the part arrives and I'll try to take some pics etc and post up the info.
Any news? What did the dealer do/say about the Brodie harness? I've got the same bike and Brodie harness as you do
Yo Dik, he just posted this info yesterday. And the parts aren't scheduled to arrive until Tuesday. :blink:
OK! Now this is funny as Hell Right here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, reading (and calendar) comprehension is a good thing! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Is it Friday yet?

Yes, reading (and calendar) comprehension is a good thing! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Is it Friday yet?
OK Boys and Girls! This is exactly why we should ALL stay away from the Tequila Bottle this early in the day!! :rolleyes:

Ride Now Powersports in Phoenix (Cave Creek Road) said I was the first to call and inquire about the recall. As a second owner, I wonder if I will get official notification. It appears that it doesn't matter to the dealer, but I am most certainly thankful for this Forum.

Ride Now Powersports in Phoenix (Cave Creek Road) said I was the first to call and inquire about the recall. As a second owner, I wonder if I will get official notification. It appears that it doesn't matter to the dealer, but I am most certainly thankful for this Forum.
Jim, unless things have changed I wouldn't use that dealer. All they do is trailer your bike down to one of their sister stores - Apache in Phoenix or Extreme in Scottsdale. Last I checked all they work on there is dirt bikes and ATVs.

My '08 will be in the Beach Yamaha (Huntington Beach CA)service department for two weeks tomorrow. The bulletin says if any evidence of damage is seen a new harness must be installed. My tech saw damage. The harness is on order and there is no delivery date. ;) :(

Anyone got a Gen 1 I can borrow??

The POS dealer here in "Newer Mexico" who sold me the bike hasn't even heard about the recall yet, or so he says <_< So It looks like I'm in for a long ordeal. I told to him check out this forum and he started with the "We're a factory authorized.......Blaah, Blaaaaaah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" You know what you can do with your factory training, Mother Fuckers! :angry2: just get me the fuckin parts and I'll put them the in! :angry2: In fact there has been a "Fix" available for several years! Yes Years! Jerk Offs! :angry2: anyway call when you find something out would you, sweet heart! :)

My '08 will be in the Beach Yamaha (Huntington Beach CA)service department for two weeks tomorrow. The bulletin says if any evidence of damage is seen a new harness must be installed. My tech saw damage. The harness is on order and there is no delivery date. ;) :(

Anyone got a Gen 1 I can borrow??
Kinda far to drive, but I could let ya borrow Frankenbike for a spell....but you'll need some asbestos leggings. :p

Wow, I'd hate to be a dealer mechanic, perhaps a little unfamiliar with the FJR's wiring intricacies, and trying to perform this procedure while going off the pictures provided Yamaha's paperwork. Maybe some quality was lost in the .pdf conversion, I don't know. Those are the most useless pictures ever.

I am choosing to "wait and see" about calling in for my recall. My S4 connector was removed a while back as a pre-emptive measure. All the wires got soldered together and grounded back to the battery. The only reservation I had about doing it that way was the possibility of the wires breaking off at the bottom of the solder connections due to prolonged vibration after time. We'll see if that becomes an issue.

My biggest concern is availability of the harnesses for the full-blown recall. My understanding in talking to local dealer was that while the smaller version was available, the larger harness may have some issues. What I worry about is when I bring in my '07, if they find that the bigger deal is needed, does the bike sit in the dealer's shop for a month waiting for parts (during prime riding season)?

Just took mine down to Waco Yamaha and left it. Will keep ya'll advised as to what they do to it. :unsure:

My AE is in the shop and apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do,
I just called the local "Team Powersports" in Garner, NC and I'm in the same boat being the second owner of mine, something like 5 recalls not performed. May be a week or two.

Sucks, but at least they'll all be done at once.

Maybe some quality was lost in the .pdf conversion, I don't know. Those are the most useless pictures ever.
I wouldn't sweat the version of PDF file we're seeing as being a "source". Chances are they faxed it to NHTSA and is degraded compared to the source (and likely copyrighted) version on the Yamaha network.

The POS dealer here in "Newer Mexico" who sold me the bike hasn't even heard about the recall yet, or so he says <_< So It looks like I'm in for a long ordeal. I told to him check out this forum and he started with the "We're a factory authorized.......Blaah, Blaaaaaah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" You know what you can do with your factory training, Mother Fuckers! :angry2: just get me the fuckin parts and I'll put them the in! :angry2: In fact there has been a "Fix" available for several years! Yes Years! Jerk Offs! :angry2: anyway call when you find something out would you, sweet heart! :)
Are you in albuquerque? Bobby J's is a good dealer.

Tony

Latest posts