Florida Christmas Vacation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnspot

Who Me?
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to get back down to Florida over the Christmas holiday to visit with my mother and other family, some of whom I hadn't seen for years for one reason or another. The weather was chilly and the holiday traffic would be brutal...perfect riding conditions.
wink.png

Not so much a ride report as it is just a collection of some photos. I rode every day I was down there; however, most of my rides were constrained by time/family commitments, so distances were limited apart from the down and back up trips between NC and FL.

Packed up and ready to go at 0800 Saturday morning (12/22). The temperature was 29 degrees. Not too much to my trip plan...slab I-95 down to just north of Jacksonville and then take the A1A-->301 "shortcut" to cut diagonally across Florida to I-75 and then on to the Tampa area. Had to arrive by the end of the day...a 680-700 mile ride.

img_2161.jpg

The traffic through South Carolina was brutal, essentially stealing the whole day. Ended up near Brunswick, GA by dinnertime.

img_2165.jpg

Arrived at my mother's house at 2330, the holiday traffic pushing the ride down to 15.5 hours. Temperatures in the dark dropped down to a low of 32. Just before dark, the left side low beam burned out (OEM lights had nearly 48k miles on them), but the remaining headlight provided enough to keep moving....I'd replace the bulb the next day. A "cozy" garage spot awaited the Feej.

img_2166.jpg

The next day began the daily "get out and ride" days. I only had a few hours each day, between doing family things, but I got out. The daily temperatures for each day I was down in Florida ranged in the 60's and 70's...very comfortable. The Sponge Docks at Tarpon Springs...

img_2175.jpg

img_2178.jpg

My mother's house is backed up against a small protected wetlands, with more of the subdivision on the other side. With that, this is a common sight every morning from her back porch.

img_2182.jpg

When riders think of Florida, they think flat and straight. The straight part is pretty accurate; however, there are "some" hills to be found in Florida...on highway 41, north out of Dade City. This was a rise to a summit of 240'...woohoo!
wink.png

img_2184.jpg

Looking back down, towards the south.

img_2186.jpg

Went up the road further north where it turns into 541 (IIRC), found another hill...

img_2189.jpg

Beauty shot at the top of the hill in the last pic...there's some sort of citrus shop at the top.

img_2190.jpg

And more...

img_2193.jpg

At the end of that particular hill ride, stopped into the McD's at Cortez Blvd. and I-95. The local popo seemed to like the food too (they were rather rotund fellas).

img_2194.jpg

Did some riding over to Orlando on Christmas day to go pick up my grandmother. While the thought of hauling grandma back to my mother's house on the bike was entertaining, it was never going to happen....shuttled her around in her Rav 4 for the remainder of the day, staying the night at her place before heading back, on the bike, to my mother's the next day. The day after Christmas was rainy; I decided to take the long way back to Wesley Chapel from Orlando. Lake Parker after a downpour...

img_2198.jpg

Fancy...

img_0038.jpg

The next day, I ended up with only a few hours in the afternoon to ride, so I decided to head south and get a bike pr0n shot with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, stopping to see an old friend along the way. Ended up with this just before sundown...

img_0040.jpg

img_2205.jpg

img_2206.jpg

Sunday morning, the 30th, marked the end of my trip to Florida, so I packed my bags and headed north on the 680 mile trek back to my house. The 70 degree temperatures from the other days were nowhere to be found on Sunday as a storm front had blown through the east coast on Saturday and left behind windy conditions...temps would remain in the 40's and low 50's during the day and drop to what turned out to be 30 after it got dark. Somewhere in Georgia...the portable cooler on the back was stuffed with goodies from mom, lol.

img_2216.jpg

South Carolina was only bad through the southern half, but near sunset, things were starting to clear up. Bio-break in SC at sunset...

img_2220.jpg

After 13.5 hours, I arrived home! For the last 80 miles of the journey, the temperature was 30...thank goodness for the Warm 'N Safe jacket liner and glove liners.

img_2223.jpg

Total mileage for the trip was 2044; not impressive miles, but considering the main purpose of the trip was visiting family and friends, I'd say I did alright. The bike was completely comfortable and reliable the entire time, apart from the headlight burnout on the first day.

Gear report:

1. Aerostich Roadcrafter: Kept me dry through quite a few huge downpours...I had the zipper upgrade done earlier this year, but it'd kept me dry before too.

2. Oxtar Matrix boots: Kept the feet dry with no fuss.

3. Warm N Safe Gen 4 liner: As usual, kept me toasty warm.

4. Warm N Safe Glove Liners: Kept my hands toasty.

5. LDComfort tights and long sleeve shirt were my go to base layers every day I rode.

6. My toes were the only thing that got cold on this trip (the down and up long trips). I was wearing Merino wool socks.

Scott,

I think that we have stopped at the same picnic area south of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the way to visiting my dad.

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.

Scott,

I think that we have stopped at the same picnic area south of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the way to visiting my dad.

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.
Yea, when I lived just up the road in Pinellas Park, that spot was very popular for bike pr0n shots...got one there of the FZ6 I used to own. Good views. :D

Thanks for the RR, I like reading these when I can't be out there riding. I did a trip to Key West in May 09 and enjoyed riding through the FL citrus groves.

Love that color scheme on your bike.

the A1A-->301 "shortcut"
Haven't been through there in a few years. How were the usual speed traps?

Great post, nothing like spending time with family. This year was our year to stay in Dallas while the Florida family came to see us.

the A1A-->301 "shortcut"
Haven't been through there in a few years. How were the usual speed traps?

Great post, nothing like spending time with family. This year was our year to stay in Dallas while the Florida family came to see us.
On my way down, Lawtey was the only spot where there were police on each side of the road as you came into town....which, IIRC, is standard practice for that town. Starke and Waldo were fairly quiet. On my way back up, I didn't see any popo staked out (church hours, Sunday) in any of the 3 hotspots.

Good R/R - I've seen a lot of bike pics taken at the Skyway bridge. It has always been intriging to me. I'd like to take a ride down there one year and explore the place where the manatees go in the winter.

On my way down, Lawtey was the only spot where there were police on each side of the road as you came into town....which, IIRC, is standard practice for that town. Starke and Waldo were fairly quiet. On my way back up, I didn't see any popo staked out (church hours, Sunday) in any of the 3 hotspots.
Interesting, Starke was always the place I used to see them. I lived in Gainesville and had friends in Jacksonville so I became VERY familiar with that route.
biggrin.png

I'm thinking that your gear report should begin: Roadcrafter... never took it off.

I'm thinking that your gear report should begin: Roadcrafter... never took it off.
Ha, yea...and that was pretty much the case. Out of consideration for my mother, I did wash/retreat it two days before leaving on the trip so I wouldn't knock her out cold with 7 months worth of "road odors". ;)

Ha, yea...and that was pretty much the case. Out of consideration for my mother, I did wash/retreat it two days before leaving on the trip so I wouldn't knock her out cold with 7 months worth of "road odors".
wink.png
I'm so surprised... NOT!

L2R,

While your enjoying the florida sunshine we are snow bound here up north. I made the mistake of keeping the bike in my garage and now I can't get out. Thanks for the report. Nice to see somebody's riding.

I like the tank bag. Could you tell me the make and model.

thanks,

Dave

L2R,
I like the tank bag. Could you tell me the make and model.

thanks,

Dave
It's the Cortech Super 2.0 18L tank bag; it's very large. Lots of pockets, including one for the rain cover in the exterior front, and a couple of water-resistant ports for external cabling or a drink tube (it comes with a little pouch for a water bottle...which I don't use). It also has a removable spare helmet shield pouch that form fits to the interior of the bag. There's two rigid panels that lay flat on the bottom that flip down help keep the bag rigid when it's expanded to full height (essentially doubles the bag's interior space). Has built-in straps to turn it into a backpack if need be.

The bars do hit slightly when turning from lock to lock; however, I have the MCL triple tree installed (bars moved back quite a bit), so I expected that. I've yet to run into any problems from it...the bag can be moved back far enough to clear the bars if need be. The magnets are very strong (they have a strap-only version too). I've never seen the bag move, even with high crosswinds, so sometimes I don't bother with the safety strap.

Overall, I love the bag. It's got plenty of room for pretty much anything. I use a Warm N Safe USB adapter in the rear pocket (where one of the external ports is located) to keep the phone charged. If there's one thing that's questionable about it it's the map pocket/window...it's narrow and not really suited for anything larger than cue cards or folded paper.