Tall Rider & Wind Buffeting? - 2nd Gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y5e06

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm looking at picking up a sport touring bike and I've narrowed it down to an FJR and R1200RT. I likely will go with the FJR due to various things including price point & parts/reliability concerns.
My issue is regarding helmet buffeting at speed. I've had a few bikes with windscreens and in all cases the buffeting was so bad I could never ride w/ the windscreen.

My previous bike I tried taller wind screen, adding various flow devices, as well as cutting them way down. It was a standard/upright with no fairings.
on my current bike I just took it off completely. I don't mind the open air except during our winter months (mild here in central Texas).

I also don't like looking through the windscreen much, I *prefer* the open vision. I can probably adapt though.
Now to the FJR. There wasn't one around here for me to ride yet.

I'm 6'4" w/ a ~35" inseam.
How have similar sized riders managed buffeting w/ these bikes?
Will cutting down the stock screen provide a smooth air stream for my helmet?
Have the taller screens been helpful? if so, where does your line of sight end up? are you looking through the screen or just over it?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know lots of people ride bikes w/ screens at +highway speeds, however I've never had a good experience with them and any buffeting is intolerable to me as it gives me a splitting headache in no time.

thanks

6'3", 34" inseam so fairly similar. I have used a number of windscreens and taller does help with respect to buffeting. Without exception, I am looking over, not through any of these. Regular shield in the low position gets the helmet out of the turbulence zone but with (of course) less protection from bugs and rain. Wind roar is an issue for me and I always wear earplugs. The FJR cockpit is not as quiet as some although not terrible.

Lots of posts thru the years on shields, I run a Cee Bailey's 2" wider and 4" taller (no longer available) and still look over the top without issue. No buffeting but still need ear plugs due to helmet whistle. Same basic size as you and Ross.130,000 plus miles on my FJR and mostly smiles.

Sitting tall in the saddle here (but not as tall as Panman) I have tried stock, Yamaha touring, V-Stream, tilted V-Stream, and currently have Cee Bailey +4 +4. Nothing completely eliminated buffeting. Having the windscreen all the way down always helps but, as mentioned, the sacrifice is reduced rain, cold, and bug protection. There is always dirty air behind semis so in that case only the wind direction helps you. But semis can be passed. Long convoys of them are troublesome but I avoid those roads in general.

I'm 6'4" w/ a ~35" inseam.
How have similar sized riders managed buffeting w/ these bikes?
Will cutting down the stock screen provide a smooth air stream for my helmet?
Have the taller screens been helpful? if so, where does your line of sight end up? are you looking through the screen or just over it?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know lots of people ride bikes w/ screens at +highway speeds, however I've never had a good experience with them and any buffeting is intolerable to me as it gives me a splitting headache in no time.

thanks
Same personal specs.

Yes x 3. About eye level with my V-Stream N20308 when fully extended x 2.

I fist tried the N20309, but it was too floppy in turbulent winds. The N20308 has been the perfect shield for me after having tried several others, but not all of them. .

1715793840759.jpeg

I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I have a Rifle +4" screen with a Puig extension on top. It works great and I look over the screen with no noise or turbulence with the screen about 1/2 way up - I will lower it all the way down for airflow on a hot day but then I get a bit of noise but no turbulence. I tried a V-Stream but it wasn't quite tall enough for me even with the extension (V-Stream only makes one size for GenII, IIRC).

I tried a V-Stream but it wasn't quite tall enough for me even with the extension (V-Stream only makes one size for GenII, IIRC).
I also have a V-Stream for the Gen II and vastly prefer my Cee Bailey under most circumstances. Barn door, but not especially effective. Unstable behind trucks - the V-Stream for Gen III+ appear to be better.

The best thing that I have found to help quiet the "cockpit" on my FJR is a product called AirLIFT edging:

https://saeng.com/product/quiet-and-smooth-air-pocket-motorcycle-edging-wind-deflector/

I ordered 3 feet of this product (enough to do my OEM Touring windshield) and it has made a dramatic difference.

Once installed, I can easily look over the dark band created by the edging and after a few rides, I don't even notice
it any longer.

YMMV

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the edging installed but will try to get some taken when I am out of my messy garage. ;)

The best thing that I have found to help quiet the "cockpit" on my FJR is a product called AirLIFT edging:

https://saeng.com/product/quiet-and-smooth-air-pocket-motorcycle-edging-wind-deflector/

I ordered 3 feet of this product (enough to do my OEM Touring windshield) and it has made a dramatic difference.

Once installed, I can easily look over the dark band created by the edging and after a few rides, I don't even notice
it any longer.

YMMV

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the edging installed but will try to get some taken when I am out of my messy garage. ;)
I have the same windshield and I would like to order this. After installing, do you feel that the 36" is the best fit or would you recommend me to go with a different length ??
thx

I’m pretty much your exact size and run the stock short screen. I had a Yamaha touring screen that I hated due to buffeting, and a barn door Calsci that I use in the winter.

The shorty is my favorite, minimal buffeting and controllable air flow. Calsci provides good wind and water protection, but the buffeting can happen depending on speed and angle. Tweaking the angle as you change speeds is required, and a passenger changes the entire airflow

All the screens had loud wind noise, I always use plugs when riding longer than around town

it any longer.

YMMV

i remember having a little black airbender on the screen of my bmw K1100RS that worked amazingly well

I have the same windshield and I would like to order this. After installing, do you feel that the 36" is the best fit or would you recommend me to go with a different length ??
thx
I actually ordered 4 feet of the stuff, but ended up cutting about 10 inches off. I used the cut-off piece on my son's Ninja short shield.

1715896691225.png

1715896735563.png

thanks all, I haven't found one to ride yet but there seems to be a clean one further out which I will chase down. It has a taller aftermarket screen.
I have a Shoei but I don't remember the model.
if the stock screen works well, when low, that may be a good setup for me. I don't mind being in the windstream as long as its clean & smooth. In the winter I have a good jacket and a couple really nice neck garters. If I can keep much of the flow off my legs and chest and smooth head flow it will be a win.

thanks all, I haven't found one to ride yet but there seems to be a clean one further out which I will chase down. It has a taller aftermarket screen.
I have a Shoei but I don't remember the model.
if the stock screen works well, when low, that may be a good setup for me. I don't mind being in the windstream as long as its clean & smooth. In the winter I have a good jacket and a couple really nice neck garters. If I can keep much of the flow off my legs and chest and smooth head flow it will be a win.

I got my shorty from another forum member because my used FJR came with the touring screen. Seems like everyone immediately buys a bigger one so you can typically find someone that has the stock screen sitting on a shelf and willing to part with it.

I have the same questions.
I just picked up a 2016 with the Yamaha touring screen.
I'm 6'1" and am looking for a buffet ing solutions. It's not terribly bad but I'm hoping to find something that will work on long rides into the wind.
I will keep checking this thread

6'5" long torso. I ran factory windshield. If I used it in the complete up position buffering was there. However, if I dropped it down just a bit it went away. Most of the time I rode with it down tho.

I'm 6'3" and have tried multiple windshields on my FJRs. I found the best to be a XL CalSci combined with my Shoei RF1200 with the vents closed. Nice and quiet, next to no buffeting.

Latest posts