Florida Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in too. If we can settle on a date, it would help freeing up that Saturday. I would like to see the pumpkin pull that FLFJRS was talking about, I really need to learn more about working on the bike!

Rob
Me personally, I'd love to just help hands on with everything that gets done. It's the best way to learn. I've heard from a lot of people that removing the whole front head light panel/assembly is a bear! You would be amazed at how many bloody knuckles I've had just because I wanted to avoid that! :))

From what I'm reading, either date would be OK? If so I'd like to do it Saturday, January 18th.

I have most tools, and moly grease for the driveshaft, and will clear out one of my lifts to use - plus I have a scissor jack & piece of 2x4 to lift the front. I also have a tire machine - a manual Coats 200.

If there's something special you want to drink, bring it. You're all adults so no temperance notes from me.

Not sure what we want to do about food. I don't grill much and as such only have a little tabletop charcoal model we use occasionally. Ideas?

So, if you guys want to come out to beautiful Mims, the door will be open. I'm no master mechanic but have done many of the maintenance items to my bike one time or another.

Sounds good to me, Jim. The 18th is perfect. The 11th looks a little iffy for me. I've been tossing around the idea of replacing the CCT on my bike for a while now. I'll hit RADIOHOWIE for some details. Doesn't sound like too big of a task.

I can bring plenty of hot dogs with all the fixings. That little grill you have will be just fine. I can put off the spline lube if there is other stuff that people want to do that's more important. Jim aka FLFJRS, can just talk me through that and I'm sure I can do that at my house. Back in the day, I performed Majic on monster airplanes with big problems. I think I can handle a little FJR spline lube. Lol

Looking forward to this! And Yes! An ice cold beer wouldn't hurt! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me, Jim. The 18th is perfect. The 11th looks a little iffy for me. I've been tossing around the idea of replacing the CCT on my bike for a while now. I'll hit RADIOHOWIE for some details. Doesn't sound like too big of a task.
I can bring plenty of hot dogs with all the fixings. That little grill you have will be just fine. <snip>

Looking forward to this! And Yes! An ice cold beer wouldn't hurt! :)
I have not done the CCT, so best to research and print out a how-to from the forum - that's how I do things!

Hot dogs do sound good, and easy too. I have a mini-fridge in the garage and will have a cooler loaded with ice for overflow. Ditto charcoal, so we're set there.

Dang, I've been needing to go through the shop and organize so this is good motivation.

Sounds good to me, Jim. The 18th is perfect. The 11th looks a little iffy for me. I've been tossing around the idea of replacing the CCT on my bike for a while now. I'll hit RADIOHOWIE for some details. Doesn't sound like too big of a task.I can bring plenty of hot dogs with all the fixings. That little grill you have will be just fine. Looking forward to this! And Yes! An ice cold beer wouldn't hurt! :)
I have not done the CCT, so best to research and print out a how-to from the forum - that's how I do things!Hot dogs do sound good, and easy too. I have a mini-fridge in the garage and will have a cooler loaded with ice for overflow. Ditto charcoal, so we're set there.Dang, I've been needing to go through the shop and organize so this is good motivation.
It's On, Bitches! Let's do this thing! I'll google that CCT procedure. Plus, Howie and I are brothers from another mother. He has plenty of first hand knowledge of the dreaded CCT. Stand By! :)

Oh and I'll bring ... a bike with a ton of maintenance needs. Heck I may do another tire swap if all goes well between then and now.
I'll be glad to help you, Tony. Between all of us, we can do anything! I enjoy learning new stuff. Especially on my bike. :)

Hey Jim,

Glad you're putting this together on the 18th.

As you probably know, I'm in the middle of doing my Gen 1 forks now; I'm almost done with getting my fork tool welded up. Time will tell how well this goes and how much I'll know about this subject. Anybody following my thread on the Gen 1 fork rebuild? Getting ready to pull the cartridges so hopefully I can replace the bushings. Learning as I go, but trying to educate myself.

Also will be needing to do a caliper rebuild. Already have the seals and fluid. Also needing a front tire soon. Ya set up to balance wheels? Do ya got enough wheel weights to go around or should we bring our own? How much are them rascals and where do ya get 'em?

Gary

Now this sounds like a productive meet-up! So, is the 18th the date?

I'm actually off on the 18th but we may be moving. I'm keeping this on my calendar in case I'm lucky enough to make it.

Jesse, come on down if you can! It would be fun to catch up a bit.

Gary, I have not followed your fork rebuild; I'll look it up. I need to do a rebuild this winter too as normal maintenance. Ditto both brake bleeds.

Tony, so how is that different than any other time you come here?? LOL........

Yes, the 18th - do we need to make another topic w/that as the subject?

If anyone needs to have a tire drop shipped - or any other thing (oil, filters, etc) - shoot me a PM

Fellers:

Do yourself a favor: click at the top next to "Florida Riders" where it says "follow this topic." It will notify you when anything gets posted here. Wanna "unfollow" later on? Just click the same box again, as once you click it, it will now it will say, "unfollow this topic."

Jim...

You said, "Dang, I've been needing to go through the shop and organize so this is good motivation." Sounds like a plan. You clean it up so we can come over and mess it up. This is sounding better every day.

What kinda price can be found on a PR2? Any ideas? I got a couple extra bucks. Also, still waiting on your wheel weight answer.

Gary

What kinda price can be found on a PR2? Any ideas? I got a couple extra bucks. Also, still waiting on your wheel weight answer.
Oops, forgot to add that - yes, I have a static balance setup altho not sure how many weights I have left. If you have some, bring what you need to make sure.

On PR2s, I usually go to Motorcycle Superstore, and even then I try and catch sales. As of this writing, they show A specs @ $161.99, B spec @ 190.99.

Ouch. I paid that much including 40 bucks to INSTALL it a year ago. Ughh. What's with the high prices? They been going up lately? But then again, doesn't everything? Considering weights, can ya reuse these things? I assume that cha can't. How would I go about buying a few? Don't know where to get em or what sizes to get.

Gary

Ouch. I paid that much including 40 bucks to INSTALL it a year ago. Ughh. What's with the high prices? They been going up lately? But then again, doesn't everything? Considering weights, can ya reuse these things? I assume that cha can't. How would I go about buying a few? Don't know where to get em or what sizes to get.
Gary
Gary, Google: "Motorcycle wheel weights for sale". Everything thing you came imagine shows up. Enjoy! :)

Oh, you guys are talking about fronts - I looked up rear.

Yes, $160+ would be huge on a front, altho $175 for a front appears to be the going price for one in the Yukon - but that's another story.

If we're just doing a tire or two, then I have enough weights, but can't guarantee after that. I was low the last time I did mine. Not sure the best place to get them - maybe ebay?

Found tire and wheel weights here CLICKY

Same place as the tire. That will gain me free shipping.

Gary

Edit: front tire ordered (Michelin PR 2) along with enough wheel weights to do my tires for years. 127 total, delivered to Mims, Fla. (Ha, I'm am NOT carrying that thing 150 miles...)

Having great success with my Gen 1 fork rebuild. Am doing seals, new dust caps, and all new bushings. Have learned much, and secured three tools to make the job easier: a seal driver, a bushing driver, and a damper assy extension socket for torquing the damper assy. Will be posting up my complete pictoral how-to... soon on the Gen 1 fork rebuild thread. I'll also have these tools available at our upcoming ride-n-wrench in January. Anybody needing to service them forks? It's actually not that hard to do, especially if ya just need to get clean oil in there. Keep in mind Gen 2 forks are different, you'll need a little more knowledge over and above what I can provide if that's what cha brung.

Gary