FNG's test ride impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
Took a ride on a 2010 with Leo pipes and I believe that's all he did to it. The tires looked pretty decent, it had 7500 miles so I doubt they were stock but could have been, didn't think to check what kind.

I have over 1000 miles on a ST1300 and also test rode a C14 the same route as today. It really just felt like a tool, like everyone says here. It vibrated a little, but never intrusive. Tranny, clutch, brakes, engine power, suspension, throttle response all felt good and as I expected. The shaft dirve also seems very nice. I've recently ridden a 1200RT, VFR1200, C14, and now FJR. Interesting how the 1200RT and VFR have a lots of slack in the shaft drive, big turn off. The buffeting on a busy highway was more than I expcected but the screen was stock and it flopped around more than I thought. I'm sure it could be fixed but I also have to wonder if a bigger fairing will alaways buffet more than a sportbike.

I don't think I've ridden a bike with less personality in quite some time. I don't really consider that a bad thing, as I'm sure it does what it's intended for with ruthless efficiency.

What holds me back is the weight of the bike and flickability, also how unforgiving it may be when getting it wrong on an unfamiliar road, at least compared to my blackbird that would mop up my mistakes like a sexy maxican maid.

At this point I feel I need to decide if I'm ready to cool it in the corners and take things down a notch... enjoy the many other things I love about touring. I was all for the idea of riding a bigger bike, before I rode it, then reality kind of hit me and I felt like I'd miss the light handling of something better suited to canyon work. All in all I'm overthinking things as usual, but I don't know what else is out there I could see myself buying. The Tiger 1050 and Multistrada are what most interest me if I move away from the bigger ST bikes, but that brings less reliability into the picture.

Interesting on the lack of personality. Especially when compared to the ST1300.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Interesting on the lack of personality. Especially when compared to the ST1300.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I hate that stupid V4 sound, plenty of personality though...like a whiny 3 year old, pun intended.

Well it's obvious how suggestive things like this can be. I've owned 2 vfr's, 1 st1300 and 1 fjr. Of the ST13 and FJR, the ST13 is clearly more like a boat imho, the front has no suspension adjustment whatsoever and it's terribly under-sprung. Not only does the fjr have an awesome and powerful in-line 4, it also weighs about 80 lbs less.

Hey the st13 is a good bike, but it's certainly more on the Touring side than the fjr. No way could I agree with it having more personality than the fjr though. If anything just the opposite imho.

What holds me back is the weight of the bike and flickability, also how unforgiving it may be when getting it wrong on an unfamiliar road, at least compared to my blackbird that would mop up my mistakes like a sexy maxican maid.
Good thing you have figured this out now before wasting your money on a big bike.

These big old pigs definitely require more skill to ride fast than the smaller bikes.

Good Luck

]

I hate that stupid V4 sound, plenty of personality though...like a whiny 3 year old, pun intended.
Most people compare it to the sound of The Jetsons space-age car.

I've owned both. Neither is exactly a personality plus motorcycle, but "personality" often translates to "unwanted vibration".

Both are smooth, competent machines. I feel the FJR oozes a bit more personality because it handles better and, to me, provides more feedback.

But that's just me.

I guess its all in what your used to,I came off a 99 busa and a 03 lowrider combo .and when finally able to take a fjr for a ride .I was very pleased with the bike NOT needing my attention !! It lets me get into SPIRITED riding yet doesnt allow me to be a G.P racer and lets me stop in a panic whithout ass puckers like the h.d.but still compy for all day riding.I couldnt wait to make the deal.was going to try the honda but went to see one and couldnt get past the looks......ps that xx you have is going to be worth some coin some day hold onto it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did any of you get the impression I like the ST1300 in comparison?

And why is everyone getting down on me becuase I said the FJR lacks personality when it's described as soulless on this site all the time.

How did any of you get the impression I like the ST1300 in comparison?

And why is everyone getting down on me becuase I said the FJR lacks personality when it's described as soulless on this site all the time.
lol the truth hurts i guess? lol that unsoulfullness is why i dig the bike .

... then reality kind of hit me and I felt like I'd miss the light handling of something better suited to canyon work. All in all I'm overthinking things as usual, but I don't know what else is out there I could see myself buying. ...
I think you may want to look at a Yamaha FZ1 same wonderful detuned R1 engine but does not have a Adjustable Windshield and has a Chain. There are some out there for very good prices.

Good thing you have figured this out now before wasting your money on a big bike.

These big old pigs definitely require more skill to ride fast than the smaller bikes.

Good Luck
Dude! I haven't written the FJR off at all. I just have some soul searching to do reguarding if I am willing to give up how well my XX handles for everything else the FJR does SOOO much better.

Furthermore, admitting I make mistakes on unfamiliar roads does not mean I lack skill, it just means I'm willing to admit I am not a faultless rider.

Good Luck
Dude! I haven't written the FJR off at all. I just have some soul searching to do reguarding if I am willing to give up how well my XX handles for everything else the FJR does SOOO much better.

Furthermore, admitting I make mistakes on unfamiliar roads does not mean I lack skill, it just means I'm willing to admit I am not a faultless rider.
Dude! Damn son you are show your age a bit aren't you? Seriously with all the folks here that misunderstood what you were trying to say, could be

just maybe it's how you said it not how we took it.

Well, when I got back from riding it I was hoping to jump off and say "I must have one of these!!!" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: When I didn't, it really broke my spirits. Now that I've had a few hours to think about it, and why I'm interested in a big bike, I really shouldn't make any judgement until I've spent the day on one.

Auron, you sure have a strange way of soliciting an opinion, if that is what you were trying to do. To come to a forum about the FJR and basically diss it is not the right approach.

A test ride is not going to tell you anything. The FJR is surely going to feel different from the blackbird just as it would be different from a Harley. I think maybe you need to just ride your blackbird and leave the big boy bikes to the big boys that appreciate them.

Sorry you got the wrong impression about the FJR but I think I can guess everyone's impression of you.

I think the best course of action for the OP is to fit out the Blackbird that he already has for full-on touring. Get yourself a second seat and have it Russell-ized and get a full set of hard bags mounted on it. Then you can have your touring cake and can "eat it" to when you strip the bags off and put a skinny seat back on.

Just my opinion/suggestion

BTW - I don't think I've seen it ever said before (nevermind all the time) that the FJR1300 "lacks soul." What it lacks is big problems. The FJR's soul is directly connected to the right hand grip. Even compared to the Blackbird (a higher HP machine), the FJR engine throws down a butt pleasing amount of engine torque. I'll bet that you just didn't turn that grip hard enough during your test drive to find it's soul. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when I got back from riding it I was hoping to jump off and say "I must have one of these!!!" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: When I didn't, it really broke my spirits.
I think you have your answer right there. If the FJR didn't speak to you then it may not be the right bike for you. One good thing about motorcycles these days is that there are plenty of good ones to choose from.

I was not able to test ride one before I bought mine, so I had to take a chance on it when I placed my order. For me, the FJR is exactly what I was looking for and then some. At least you had an opportunity to try one out before you spent your money.

All I can say is if the FJR didn't put a smile on your face during the test ride, I recommend you look elsewhere. If it's the Multistrada that really gets your heart racing... Then save your pennies and get what you want.

I just don't recommend ever telling the kids where the inheritence went ;)

I have been a member for fair amount of time now and don't recall ever reading the FJR lacked soul.

Hmmmmmmm unless my wife is right, "you have a horrible memeory". When is our anniversary again.............. :blink: