FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowser UberKul - Brad, I am glad I did not see this before I signed on as Pancho to your Cisco Kid for FODS V! I attend the BMW Mexico Moto Clubs Rally each year, it is usually held in the Fall; but this year, they are going to San Miguel de Allende in March! Most beautiful village in all of Mexico!

This sounds like a dream ride. I'm in. I'll be bringing at least 1 friend on a new(er) KLR650 and I'll be riding a XR650L. Cant wait.

I actually reserved 2 rooms. I have a bunch of desert dirt bike friends who also have Dual Sports gathering dust in their respective garages, and will be looking to shame a couple into riding this trip.

Clay

Glad to see the numbers climbing! :yahoo:

We may need to break into three or more groups to keeps the dust down for the organized dual sport rides. There is still a big 230 mile Goler Wash loop for anyone wanting to tackle a little longer more intermediate ride. :D

i-GQ7z7BH-L.jpg

I don't have a dual sport yet. I put in for the time off and still need to reserve a room. Hope I can make it.

I don't have a dual sport yet. I put in for the time off and still need to reserve a room. Hope I can make it.
I'd lend you the DR again Mike but I planned on riding it for this one. The Husky 450 is a long legged wild child and doesn't have a date for this trip. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a great time too bad I won't be able to make it.

At the risk of sounding like somebody's mother, how many in the group have Spot trackers? I just got done reading about a couple of guys that went missing in the desert not too far from where you folk are headed and it took days to find them. ADV link to story. It's not a happy ending. I don't think the Spot would have saved them but it might save you. Brad, Rob and Bug can attest to how fast a fun ride can turn into a rescue situation. Cell service out there is almost non existent and a Spot could make a big difference in the out come.

OK, that's enough of that. You guys have a great time and stay safe :good:

At the risk of sounding like somebody's mother, how many in the group have Spot trackers? I just got done reading about a couple of guys that went missing in the desert not too far from where you folk are headed and it took days to find them.
Cletha & I both have Spot IIs w/tracking. Still, I don't think anyone in this group is going to let some drunken idiot go for a ride at 2:30 in the morning either, if we catch them trying it. Nice thing about a drunken dirt biker, they usually fall over pretty quickly. UTVs allow a lot more range for someone impaired.

At the risk of sounding like somebody's mother, how many in the group have Spot trackers? I just got done reading about a couple of guys that went missing in the desert not too far from where you folk are headed and it took days to find them.
Cletha & I both have Spot IIs w/tracking. Still, I don't think anyone in this group is going to let some drunken idiot go for a ride at 2:30 in the morning either, if we catch them trying it. Nice thing about a drunken dirt biker, they usually fall over pretty quickly. UTVs allow a lot more range for someone impaired.
I never intended to imply that someone in the FODS group would ride drunk and in the middle of the night only that shit happens and it happens in the daylight to sober riders. My recent trip to Death Valley included a helicopter rescue of one of our group, no one had a Spot tracker. We were extremely lucky to have cell service where the accident happened. The odds of some else having that same luck are minimal in that part of the world.

At the risk of sounding like somebody's mother, how many in the group have Spot trackers? I just got done reading about a couple of guys that went missing in the desert not too far from where you folk are headed and it took days to find them. ADV link to story. It's not a happy ending. I don't think the Spot would have saved them but it might save you. Brad, Rob and Bug can attest to how fast a fun ride can turn into a rescue situation. Cell service out there is almost non existent and a Spot could make a big difference in the out come.

OK, that's enough of that. You guys have a great time and stay safe :good:
What a Debbie Downer! ;)

I use my Y2K phylosophy with riding. I don't have to have all the survival stuff, I just need to know who does. :lol: The standard waivers will be signed prior to riding. These authorize the group to divvy up your gear for anything more than a Band-Aid.

On a serious note, I'm going to throw in a couple FSR radios this time Rick and I know CAJW rides with a Spot. Thanks for thinking about us and we'll miss (talk crap about) you.

I never intended to imply that someone in the FODS group would ride drunk and in the middle of the night only that shit happens and it happens in the daylight to sober riders. My recent trip to Death Valley included a helicopter rescue of one of our group, no one had a Spot tracker. We were extremely lucky to have cell service where the accident happened. The odds of some else having that same luck are minimal in that part of the world.
You're right Rick, accidents can happen on any ride and it's good to be prepared. That was perhaps not the best example of when Spot was needed, as it wouldn't have helped them.

Part of the concept here is don't ride like a maniac, because no one wants to carry you out or have to get help. If you get over your head, stop. Preferably before you get over your head instead of trying to keep pushing on, hoping it gets better. No shame in turning around. It always amazes me how far people will go, hoping it will get better, all the while it's getting worse.

i will be having a bloody mary whilst you off road pimps are pickin your old asses up off the ground when you eat it,just saying.lol

So does this mean no Tokillya on our up coming secret moonlight Titus Canyon ride?
The first rule of Titus Canyon Club...

:secret:
...is everything stays in Titus Canyon Club!
Here's a nice 15 minute video of one of the best rides of FODS V: Titus Canyon! This couple rode Titus Canyon two up, so it should be no problem at all for Bugnatr and Old Michael! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-MC2fkf1M