fork rebuild question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
rebuilding forks on my 07...replaces all bushings and seal....Here is my question...got the 3 bushing in place and the fork tube slides freely...put after driving in the fork seal and wiper there seem to be a lot of friction.  the tube still slides and is not binding, but actually have to push or pull to get it to extend or collapse..  Guessing it just the friction of the seal against the tube...Is this right???

Dan

Is the seal well lubricated with fork oil?

I would expect some friction but it should still move fairly easily.  Any chance you installed the oil seal upsidedown?  (not sure it would make a big difference in terms of friction but it is easy to get it wrong.)  Any difference if you lift up the dust seal and just have the oil seal in place?

Did you look at this write-up?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ForkSeal-BushingReplacement.pdf

It should slide freely without much resistance.  I wonder if one or more of your bushings is either improperly installed, or misplaced (upper where the middle goes, vise versa)?  Also - did you buy the seals from a genuine Yamaha re-seller?

Regarding having he seal in correctly, if you lift the wiper, you should NOT see the spring for the seal facing upward.

I guess another thought is - has the bike ever been wrecked?  Are you sure the upper fork tubes are perfectly straight?

It should slide freely without much resistance.  I wonder if one or more of your bushings is either improperly installed, or misplaced (upper where the middle goes, vise versa)?  Also - did you buy the seals from a genuine Yamaha re-seller?

Regarding having he seal in correctly, if you lift the wiper, you should NOT see the spring for the seal facing upward.

I guess another thought is - has the bike ever been wrecked?  Are you sure the upper fork tubes are perfectly straight?
like I said it slides freely tell I installed the seal..seal are in spring down...the part are genuine Yamaha from Ron Ayers...It act just like the fork, with the stock seals in the video I posted....

remember one thing, the outer tube slider in the video is at least twice the weight of your inner tube.  Not a good comparison.

You said the tube slides freely with just bushings installed.  Which is normal.  If your tube slides in and out smoothly with the seal in you are good to go.

remember one thing, the outer tube slider in the video is at least twice the weight of your inner tube.  Not a good comparison.

You said the tube slides freely with just bushings installed.  Which is normal.  If your tube slides in and out smoothly with the seal in you are good to go.
maybe I can explain it better like this... With just the bushings installed the fork tube would collapse or expand under its own weight, and with the seal installed I have to push it down to get it to collapse. or pull to expand...But it goes in and out smoothly with no binding...

With the seal installed, you are fighting the friction of the seal but also there is air in the tube that you are trying to compress. They should be hard to extend/compress.

maybe I can explain it better like this... With just the bushings installed the fork tube would collapse or expand under its own weight, and with the seal installed I have to push it down to get it to collapse. or pull to expand...But it goes in and out smoothly with no binding...
Yes, that is normal.  You are good to go. 

In the video you referenced the fork tube is heavy enough to overcome the friction of the seal to slide on it's own.  Our fork tubes don't weigh enough so you have ot move it your self.

With the seal installed, you are fighting the friction of the seal but also there is air in the tube that you are trying to compress. They should be hard to extend/compress.
that makes a lot of sense...ride more worry less...

Yes, that is normal.  You are good to go. 

In the video you referenced the fork tube is heavy enough to overcome the friction of the seal to slide on it's own.  Our fork tubes don't weigh enough so you have ot move it your self.
need stay off youtube...lmao