Fork seals! Argh!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
347.jpg

I couldn't resist. :rofl:

Well, the dealership finally got a chance to pull it apart. Seems like I not only need seals, but the bushing (s?) are in need of replacement too. Only a bit over 41,000 miles. Does this seem normal? If I could have planned better (hindsight) I would have considered an upgrade. I don't remember hearing much about seals or bushings going bad on FJR's. Well, at least I was right on worrying about that clunking on braking. Radman did chew me out for not changing the fluid sooner when we cleaned and refilled the forks 2 years ago.

Hope they get the parts in early so I can try it out on what will be left of the CFO! They had to next day air the bushings. Bummer.

mr.paul

Update: After a bit over $500 (ouch) the forks work great! Then again, they should.

mr.paul

mr. paul,

I would consider 41,000 miles normal for the forks to wear through bushings. I would also venture to say it highly depends on your riding style and road conditions as to how fast they wear. Mine were showing wear at 25K when I rebuilt both forks.

Now to the reason for resurrecting this post: 5k miles after rebuilding both forks I picked up a leak during the WTF-0 meet in Idaho. I hit some dirt roads while up in Idaho and this caused my left fork to start weeping. I noticed it this week when I found fork oil was coating the entire length of my outer fork tube and the chrome was covered in oily dirt.

I was very skeptical to try the seal mate tool but damn happy to find out that their claims are true. This thing works! I didn't even have to take the fork off the bike. I'm taking a trip next week and this thing saved me some serious coin and aggravation. A very cheap tool that I'll keep with me on tour.

Not affiliated with these folks but I'm hoping to get the word out since our forks can be quite temperamental and changing the seal can be overkill if you don't at first try this tool or at least a homemade version of one.

Seal mate tool
I have been planning another moto trip to Idaho for two months with a friend of mine. Fly fishing, etc... While changing out the front tire yesterday PM via my No Mar changer I noticed the left side fork seal was leaking!! I frantically called the dealer, who said they should be able to fix it by the time I leave, if the parts come in. I made an appointment and they ordered the parts. With my typical luck the parts won't come in on time. I'm really bummed because I really can't afford to spend around $300 for this right now, and due to work I don't have time to do it myself, plus after two months of planning I want to go fishing!!

I did a search on this forum, found this thread and the reference to the Sealmate tool and the FJR video. I fashioned my own tool from a medical benefits card which is thinner than a credit card but probably just a tad thicker than 35mm film. I followed the instructions on the video. Then went for an 85 mile ride on the roughest pavement that southern UT has to offer. IT WORKED, NO MORE LEAK!!!!!! I am a happy camper.

I'll cancel my appointment, but pick up the new seals, and install them at my leisure AFTER my fly fishing trip to Idaho!

I also stuck my new homemade tool in my tank bag, like you said, it could come in handy on the road sometime!