Fork springs and suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampant

Reaction score
So, I am a big dude (350lbs) and while I am losing weight (lost 45lbs so far) I am still... rather hefty.

The stock suspension in the bike isn't cut out for a fella like me, and with 26k on the bike, probably used up for the most part anyway.

So, what would be a good aftermarket setup for a guy like me. Preferably adjustable so that when I get down to 220-240 (my target) it will still work well.

Talk to GPSuspension as discussed annually here.
looks like Penske is a good way to go. Any suppliers to recommend. The group buy is not currently active and GPSuspension doesn't list a price on their website.

Any suppliers to recommend. The group buy is not currently active and GPSuspension doesn't list a price on their website.
Try using this new phone technology that's all the rage. I have this sneaking suspicion that they might answer the phone and possibly want to sell something!

FWIW, I think GP Suspensions work is top notch. You can find cheaper, but I doubt you'll find better. Based on the number of annual GP Suspension group buys done on this forum, I also doubt you'll find a company with more FJR experience.

Any suppliers to recommend. The group buy is not currently active and GPSuspension doesn't list a price on their website.
Try using this new phone technology that's all the rage. I have this sneaking suspicion that they might answer the phone and possibly want to sell something!
Mayb they should try this "put your shit on the web" technology that is all the rage. You know, for us weird up-late-at-night types who detest normal business hours.

Mayb they should try this "put your shit on the web" technology that is all the rage. You know, for us weird up-late-at-night types who detest normal business hours.
You posted at 1:35 PM Pacific time....they answer the phone then!

Maybe custom suspension are so tricky that you'll have to talk to them in the end anyway and getting it right REALLY helps.

Maybe you can use the GB website I previously linked to get a ballpark figure.

Maybe you want to find a reason to dis suggestions with specific experience on the subject and not really interested in an FJR...I dunno. You're gonna love Fridays around here. ;)

Try Carnac!
carnac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like Penske is a good way to go. Any suppliers to recommend. The group buy is not currently active and GPSuspension doesn't list a price on their website.
The Penske shock doesn't have a remote preload. The racetech and ohlins do. If you like adjusting preload with a wrench .. go for the penske.

GPS is a small shop. They specialize in suspensions, not web technology. Nobody is forcing you to purchase from them if finding the prices online is an important factor in your decision.

I'll give you a ballpark (+/- 10%) figure: $700 for forks, $1200 for ohlins.

The Penske shock doesn't have a remote preload. The racetech and ohlins do. If you like adjusting preload with a wrench .. go for the penske.

GPS is a small shop. They specialize in suspensions, not web technology. Nobody is forcing you to purchase from them if finding the prices online is an important factor in your decision.

I'll give you a ballpark (+/- 10%) figure: $700 for forks, $1200 for ohlins.
cool, thanks for the ballpark, which is really all I needed. So it sounds like ~2k for the set.