• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Forum Discount At Bikeeffects.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another positive feedback mention for Jeff at sportbikeeffects.com - everything delivered as/when promised.

The “DB Killer” baffle is held in with one screw on each muffler outlet. The screw head is designed not to be removed by a screw driver. No problem….I own Vise Grips and made short order of the screws. Enclosed with the system, there are bags containing replacement screws of the socket head variety along with baffle removal diagrams.
I estimate baffle removal time to be about 1-2 minutes.
If you wish to replace the baffles, what is involved? :blink:

The “DB Killer” baffle is held in with one screw on each muffler outlet. The screw head is designed not to be removed by a screw driver. No problem….I own Vise Grips and made short order of the screws. Enclosed with the system, there are bags containing replacement screws of the socket head variety along with baffle removal diagrams.

I estimate baffle removal time to be about 1-2 minutes.
If you wish to replace the baffles, what is involved? :blink:
I assume you mean install them after you had removed them. Just slide them in and install the retaining screw. One screw on each can.

ALL RIGHT! I just pulled the ripcord after jawing with Jeff on a Starcom Advance, two isolated audio cables, an adapter for my Nokia cell phone, and shipping.

I'm one of those folks that have watched the conversations on communication systems from the outside, but never delved into them because I just haven't found the right option for my ears. Some custom plugs I tried just didn't block out noise enough and the pair of Koss I tried to customize just kept falling out. I decided to buy a set of ER-6's last week and would wait for them first, but pulled the ripcord anyway after talking with a couple of people.

I was convinced from Jeff and Tobie Stevens (IBR finisher 2005) that even if my ER-6 doesn't work out the helmet speakers work great through a set of traditional foam earplugs.

Let me tell you all. My standards bar is high and I'm confident this approach is going to work. I'll be able to hook a Garmin 2730 GPS (that has mp3 in it), my V1, and my Nokia cell phone with a funky ear bud connector and have all of them work the way they're supposed to.

The parts list:

Starcom Advance $277 plus a 10% discount for us forum members. This unit is a bit smaller than the original Starcom and has another input port or two.

Two isolated audio cables since I'm going to run everything off bike power. They're not cheap at $45 each, but I don't want to risk whine from the bike electrical system.

Finally, a Nokia cell phone adapter that Jeff is going to have to order and ship for $26 that plugs into my Nokia 6820, but still way cheaper than the $150 or so Bluetooth. Before today I thought the cell phone link was a complicated and costly option. It isn't.

Total for me was about $370 shipped.

So, now I'm super excited that I'm going from a silent rider with my own thoughts to being able to call people up while I'm barreling down a road, have them think I'm not on the bike because of the noise cancelling technology of the unit. And the thought that my V1 would still kick in and superced cell phone calls is a nice touch!

...another piece sorted out to be more competitive in rallies and the occasional social ride.

And Jeff was a great guy to talk with. He's got a place to stay if he ever wanders up through Tri-Cities.

Stay tuned for my results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a Starcom Advance from Jeff about 2 weeks ago useing the Forum discount (much appreciated) and have to say that every thing about the sale from ordering to shipping was a totally smooth process. Now all I need is the '06 to mount the damn thing on and I'll be all set.....Don't imagine you can help with that can you Jeff?

So Iggy, why the Starcom instead of the Autocom?
Can you even buy an Autocom yet? Last time I checked, all the old ones were gone and the new ones weren't available yet.

So Iggy, why the Starcom instead of the Autocom?
Probably 4 reasons.

1. I saw Tobie Stevens had one and he went through all the details with me Sunday.

2. I did do a quick look at the Autocomm site and it seems the one that fit my expectations was probably $100 more expensive than the Starcom.

3. Not only has Jeff been posting on here with good results, but he seems to run almost the identical setup of what I want....and like you have probably too for audio inputs. And he was great to talk with.

4. If TWN steals something....it must be good. He only steals the best. He pays full retail for the bad stuff ;)

I also have pondering the Mix-It, but I figure if I'm into it for this amount I might as well be able to transmit as well as receive through the thing. The Mix-It doesn't have that.

Good enough reason?

4. If TWN steals something....it must be good.  He only steals the best.  He pays full retail for the bad stuff ;)
True dat! I'm severely disappointed in the Softline unit, which is why I grabbed the Starcom off Jeff's shelf. I think it's MANR technology is at the root of the problem. Speed has been such a champ in trying to resolve my issues with the unit, but the searing feedback persits... Long story, but I'll post up after I resolve the issue with Speed.

Bob, did you can the Softline?
Yeah, the first unit was a nightmare. Speed took it back and sent me another, which worked better but not good enough to justify $600 in my book. It was probably about twice as good as my $150 Motocom unit, and those damned half-golfball sized microphones....It rubbed my lips raw on the way home from Avila. Eve pulled her mic out and let it hang outside the helmet. They definitely didn't get along with her full, er, well, better stop there. Then there's the "echo" whenever I talked...

The voice operated feature was more hassle than not. The Motocom is open mic and vox only lowers the audio source volume. I think the Softline is a bit too technologically advanced for its own good, IMO

Anyway, Speed was a true sport throughout the ordeal and ended up giving me a refund.

I'm looking at Autocom now because the local dealer (BMW shop) offered a satisfaction guarantee. I couldn't get that with Starcom. Once you pay for it, it's yours. That and the plug-in arrangement seems less than optimum. Corded terminals let things move around a bit before they start coming unplugged. That's what was nice about the Softline, good secure plug-ins.

Did you use your unit much as an intercom (w/pillion)? Mine was great for listening to music, but then again, I could have done that alot cheaper as well.

Now all I need is the '06 to mount the damn thing on and I'll be all set.....Don't imagine you can help with that can you Jeff?
I'll ride it a little for you and loosen it up! :D

I have done business with Jeff. I highly recommend him!  B)
Thank you Mike, and welcome to the "New" forum.
Duuuh I feel like a real dumb ass! I forgot to mention how happy I was with my business dealings with Jeff also!

Thanks Jeff, though It's a little late :huh:

Barry

+1. Jeff is great to deal with!

I ordered a bike bag from Sports Effects. Jeff called back and warned me that the bag would have a lead time of about 10 days and asked whether I still wanted to place the order. So my hat's off to Jeff for his business ethics. :eek:k:

BTW: Lo and behold, it shows up on my door step just 4 days latter!

Another "thumbs up" for "Sport's Effects" & Jeff's help.

I got the carbon Leo Vince pipes there. The pipes arrived right on time.

I see that you've got 02-05....any for the 06?
gski
Still waiting for vendors to release products applicable to the '06. Power Commanders, soon. Staintune says their pipes already work. I'm waiting for new part numbers from Leo Vince. Call opr email about specific products.

Latest posts